Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:12
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Apr 3, 2007

I take up the idea Brandis offered about a week ago:

Now a virtual court sounds a bit too complicated. What I have in mind is setting up a review mechanism which could be used by clients and translators alike when deciding if a translation is good or bad. Nothing more.

We all know the problem. When an agency asks a translator to review a translation done by another translator, all too often the reviewer is not objective but tries to find mistakes where there are none. Perhaps in the hope to win more work from the agency.

Now if there would be a mechanism to gain independend reviews not revieling the persons involved, all parties would win.

I'll try to outline such a mechanism.

First there is the initiator of the reviewing. It can be an agency or endclient who wants to make sure that a translator they have chosen is up to task or it can be a translator who has been told that a certain translation was not satisfying.

The initiator sends both source and target (the same chunk of both, perhaps 500 words or so) to a coordinator and pays a fee.

The coordinator compiles source and target into one document, as a table, and forwards it to a reviewer-translator, that has been proven to be up to date in this specific field and language pair (by Kudoz points probably).

The reviewer analyses the texts and forwards the result back to the coordinator, which forwards them to the initiator and pays the reviewer.

In case the initiator is an agency or a client, the initial of the surname of the translator could be communicated to the coordinator, so to make sure that not the initiator is chosen as the reviewer (which could happen in rare language pairs).

I believe such a review mecahnism could and should be set up here at
It could be used on a routine base from agencies when searching for new translators and help to avoid the pitfalls of the normal test translation procedure by not revieling the persons involved in the process.

Hope I did make myself clear.

Now Brandis had in mind a procedure how to deal with conflicts between endclient and agency, which is a more delicate and complicated matter, as far as I can see.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposing Organised Review mechanism

Advanced search

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs