Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:30
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Dec 2, 2001

Well,

I have seen many people using \"native speaker\" as a reference and, to be honest, I think this is not a reference at all! Each one of us has to be native speaker in a language or the other, but this doesn\'t mean his/her proposal has to be the only correct one. Sometimes you can translate a term in some different ways, according to the context, for a half or full sentence we can have many \"versions\" and all of them correct, the only difference would be a very personal de gusti
... See more
Well,

I have seen many people using \"native speaker\" as a reference and, to be honest, I think this is not a reference at all! Each one of us has to be native speaker in a language or the other, but this doesn\'t mean his/her proposal has to be the only correct one. Sometimes you can translate a term in some different ways, according to the context, for a half or full sentence we can have many \"versions\" and all of them correct, the only difference would be a very personal de gustibus.

I think it isn\'t \"diplomatic\" to type \"native speaker\", especially if the proposer doesn\'t bother adding an explanation for the rest of the world.

The worst to me: \"native speaker - no explanation needed\" Okay, I can understand you don\'t need to explain for yourself, but the asker might appreciate the explanation better than the translation itself.

I agree there\'s no need to explain, for example, why \"Syria\" is \"Syrien\" in German, native speaker could be reference enough for questions like this one.

Personally, I appreciate friendly statements like \"exp.\", \"personal exp.\", \"yx years in X Country\".

Giuliana
[addsig]
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 15:30
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Native speaker - yes! Dec 8, 2001

Sorry, Giuliana, but I disagree (but you sort of expected that, right?)

With all the replies we are getting from non-native speakers, people who mostly are well-intentioned (plus the few who seem to be interested only in gaining points) but get it very wrong simply because they have insufficient familiarity with the language as it\'s spoken by \'natives\' - it\'s a good idea to emphasise the fact that the responder is, indeed,
... See more
Sorry, Giuliana, but I disagree (but you sort of expected that, right?)

With all the replies we are getting from non-native speakers, people who mostly are well-intentioned (plus the few who seem to be interested only in gaining points) but get it very wrong simply because they have insufficient familiarity with the language as it\'s spoken by \'natives\' - it\'s a good idea to emphasise the fact that the responder is, indeed, one.

Not just Syrien: how about public and private schools in Britain? and so on.

I rest my briefcase.

JK
[addsig]
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:30
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One Source Language: One Word = Various Meaning /Target language: Various Words with # Meanings Dec 9, 2001

Hi John,

I meant it might not be a reference for absolute correct answer, because as I wrote yesterday, someone might be fully qualified to propose a correct word for the target language, which isn\'t the correct translation of the requested one in that very specific context. I believe we should be sure of having understood completely the context of the source language before adding a simple \"native speaker\" without any further explanation. I am referring to difficult tech
... See more
Hi John,

I meant it might not be a reference for absolute correct answer, because as I wrote yesterday, someone might be fully qualified to propose a correct word for the target language, which isn\'t the correct translation of the requested one in that very specific context. I believe we should be sure of having understood completely the context of the source language before adding a simple \"native speaker\" without any further explanation. I am referring to difficult technical questions with a very specific context, where the original expression in the source language covers the two or three meanings in the target one, but you cannot use in all fields as 100% synonyms.

Nothing more than that.

Cheers,

Giuliana
[addsig]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\"Native Speaker\" or \"Native Speaker - No Explanation Needed\"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »