Mobile menu

Same question appears again, and again, and again and...
Thread poster: Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:43
French to English
Jun 10, 2001

Thsi week on the French>English community the same question, phrase in fact, has appeared aroudn a dozen times. The first couple of times, answers were posted more or less uncommented. The last posting received an interesting suggestion by way of an answer. \"1964\" suggested this one.

When posting a question, albeit a phrase, the asker should automatically be referred to identical postings. The asker can always decide to post his question anyway if previous answers were not suitable but it would reduce the number of times the same one appears.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-06-11 05:42 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 15:43
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 14, 2001

I agree with Nikscot that since our glossary is growing by leaps and bounds an automatic search feature would be very useful. The asker would then be informed that there are already similar or identical entries in the glossary and would be able to search them. I routinely look up the glossary and have found already many answers to my queries. Along the same lines, I advise askers when a question is already in the glossary so that they get in the habit of checking it themselves.

Paola L M

Silvio Picinini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 18, 2001

That is a wonderful idea. Sometimes I forget to check if there is a previous question on the same term, only because there is no reminder to \"search the database first\". An automatic search displaying \"would you like to check these terms: XXX YYY ZZZ\" or even a \"Would you like to search the database first?\" massage would be great. After that, a confirmation message \"Confirm posting or cancel\" would prevent repetitions.

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:43
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Jul 6, 2001

[quote]

On 2001-06-14 11:23, ludovici wrote:

I agree with Nikscot that since our glossary is growing by leaps and bounds an automatic search feature would be very useful. The asker would then be informed that there are already similar or identical entries in the glossary and would be able to search them.

Paola L M

Thanks Paola! I was just about to make this suggestion myself.

To an asker the expression unknown to her/him is the most important thing.

Henry brilliantly defended the ProZ readiness to answer ANY question as a solidifying and marketing measure.

BUT: The ovious solution to the the problem with easy (or short) questions is to AUTOMATE it.

The asking function would then always check the glossar and if there is a match, show it to the asker. Thus we would satisfy her/him without burdening the KudoZ answering community with tooooo many answers already given.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Same question appears again, and again, and again and...

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs