Mobile menu

Encourage askers to grade their Kudoz questions (staff: 'OK!')
Thread poster: Golden View

Golden View  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:29
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 11, 2001

Kudoz (ask a Pro) is great for those who need language help, translators contribute the free translation, it's okay. But if get no grade (no Kudoz points), maybe translators won't always contribute free.

So it's recommended that ProZ.com to encourage more and more help-receivers to grade the transaltions.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:29
SITE FOUNDER
Jun 19, 2001

Our objective is to see to it that any question that has been answered gets graded.

We are a long way from achieving that goal. Currently, 92%-96% of questions get answered, and approximately 70% get graded.

That means about 25% of the time, answers are not graded. This is unacceptable!

Steps taken so far:

- Automated reminders are sent, in English, to askers to return and grade their questions.

- Moderators are able to invite askers, in any language, to return and grade.

- Habitual non-graders are blocked from asking more questions.

Future steps being considered:

- Using peer grades (for example, 2 grades of 4) to be replied upon--in the absence of asker grading--in awarding KudoZ points

- Using cookies to identify non-member askers, so that they can later be reminded to grade whenever they visit any ProZ page

Any other suggestions?

xxxeurotransl
German to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2001

No; no suggestions at this point. Your follow-up strategies are excellent. Plus: basing KudoZ points on grades if the asker fails to choose a winning answer is a very good idea.

But first, you need to ensure that graders are properly identified.

xxxeurotransl
German to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2001

Sorry, I do have one more:

When posting a grade, the grader should be taken to a separate screen showing the grade and comment. Here, the grader will have a chance to edit his/her comments (sometimes you post something in the heat of the moment) before sending them to the database.

Also: answerers should also have a chance to edit their answers before posting them (as well as later on - like the forums). This way, we would not have to post 2,3,... additional answers overloading the system.

Telesforo Fernandez
Local time: 19:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 21, 2001

It is nice to answer the questions and still nicer to get Kudoz points. I see that there is lot of enthusiasm to answer the questions. All this matter of answering term questions has a kind of hallo around it.You get glorified. Look, you are placed in that Hall of Fame.It is nice to get top bracketed. I have also seen that some people who were toppers in the list of fame, are now less frequen and some have stopped answering.Kudoz points are a nice feeling, but can you really tell people that you have so many Kudoz points and get some weightage? May be yes, may be no. Answering term questions is purely a gesture of helping your fellow translators. It is a real cooperative effort of the translators.But we should not get obsessed with these points. I think thatissues like Easy questions, tough questions, proz. questions,grading and not grading, correct and incorrect answers - should not be stretched too far.

BUT IN ESSENCE THIS FEATURE IS A GREAT HELP TO TRANSLATORS. IMAGINE A SITUATION WITHOUT SOME VOLUNTEERS HELPING YOU OUT IN YOUR HOUR OF NEED. AND MIND YOU, THAT IS A DESPERATE MOMENT WHEN A GOOD SAMARITAN HELPS YOU. I THINK PROZ.COM SHOULD FORWARD FIRST THE NAME OF THE PEOPLE FIGURING IN THE HALL OF FAME. OTHERWISE WHAT HALL AND WAHT FAME? AT LEAST LET THEM GET SHORTH - LISTED( QUITE DIFFERENT FROM BAGGING A TRANSLATION) FOR THE JOBS POSTED ON THIS SITE).BUT MANY PEOPLE WHO HAVE EARNED TOP KUDOZ POINTS ARE THE LAST TO BAG THE JOB.WAHT AN IRONY OF FATE!

xxxeurotransl
German to English
+ ...
Jun 22, 2001

In response to telef:

You are right in stating that KudoZ is like a \"beacon of hope\" or last resort for translators who get stuck on a word.

But I do have to make one observation: more and more, translators are posting questions that they could easily research themselves on the Internet. Why do they want to waste valuable time and wait for the answers to pour in? In most cases, these answers consist of long lists of copied entries from search engines that the asker could have retrieved himself or herself - and even faster.

I mean, if they say that they want to help build up a ProZ glossary, that\'s fine. But I believe that no one should use KudoZ unless they get hopelessly stuck (meaning: Internet searches and one\'s own references have not revealed the right answer).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Encourage askers to grade their Kudoz questions (staff: 'OK!')

Advanced search

Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs