Next suggestion: Automatically delete \"abandoned\" KudoZ questions.
Thread poster: TService (X)
TService (X)
TService (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:38
English to German
Dec 29, 2002

Just the next issue I observed for months:

A KudoZ question is asked, some suggestions come up - but without any context it\'s impossible to find out what translation is correct. So the asker is asked for more context - and nothing happens.

A second translator asks for more context - no reaction.

The question remains ungraded until automatic grading ends the game - rewarding the ones that answered first - as the follow-ups were no longer reviewed because
... See more
Just the next issue I observed for months:

A KudoZ question is asked, some suggestions come up - but without any context it\'s impossible to find out what translation is correct. So the asker is asked for more context - and nothing happens.

A second translator asks for more context - no reaction.

The question remains ungraded until automatic grading ends the game - rewarding the ones that answered first - as the follow-ups were no longer reviewed because people lose interest as they do not see any reaction of the asker. And because the questions simply disappear from the list boxes showing current questions.

Just activate \"show more questions\", set the limit to 100 and see for yourself.

Suggestion: Just delete that kind of KudoZ questions if it\'s clear that the asker neither reads the suggestions and inquiries nor does react.

This could be done by checking if the asker provided more context (or just a simple reaction a la \"sorry, no more context\") after the function \"request more from the asker\" has been used.
Collapse

Laura Molinari
Laura Molinari  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:38
French to English
+ ...
I disagree Dec 29, 2002

Deleting any Kudoz questions, abandoned or not (unless they are offensive), would detract from the usefulness of this site. Those \'abandoned\' questions may still be useful to another translator who chooses to search old questions for a particular term. Even though more context may be needed, other Proz have still offered suggestions based on what they can guess, and this can still be helpful to others. I speak from experience.

Is it really that annoying to have a few open-
... See more
Deleting any Kudoz questions, abandoned or not (unless they are offensive), would detract from the usefulness of this site. Those \'abandoned\' questions may still be useful to another translator who chooses to search old questions for a particular term. Even though more context may be needed, other Proz have still offered suggestions based on what they can guess, and this can still be helpful to others. I speak from experience.

Is it really that annoying to have a few open-ended questions floating about?
[addsig]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:38
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Some remain ungraded by automatic grading Dec 29, 2002

Why is it that automatic grading does not always take place? Is it only used when there is more than one answer to choose from?

For an example, see http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&id=134716&keyword=Au�enbox

which dates back to January 18th 2001 but has never been graded either by the asker or automatically.

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
At least 2 agreements are necessary Dec 29, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-29 16:22, jdoughty wrote:

Why is it that automatic grading does not always take place? Is it only used when there is more than one answer to choose from?

which dates back to January 18th 2001 but has never been graded eit... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-29 16:22, jdoughty wrote:

which dates back to January 18th 2001 but has never been graded either by the asker or automatically.

Any automatic grading needs a couple of agreements to take effect. ▲ Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
DISAGREE Dec 29, 2002

Why deleting old questions? Even if they remain ungraded it does not mean they are useless!

Jack, this one remains ungraded because the answer was declined by the asker. Just click on \"Choose the winner\" to ensure.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:38
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Didn't know how to do that Dec 29, 2002

Thank you, Natalie. I didn\'t know that you could check if an answer has been declined in this way.

TService (X)
TService (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
About the "why": Dec 30, 2002

There\'s a particular word for keeping things longer than necessary for the reason \"maybe someone could need it some day\": One\'s called a \"messy\" (or \"messie\" ?).

To be serious: It\'s meant to force an asker to provide a little more information if needed. I thought that would be quite clear by the conditions I mentioned.

I think it\'s just not fair if you and your colleagues (one of them is me ... See more
There\'s a particular word for keeping things longer than necessary for the reason \"maybe someone could need it some day\": One\'s called a \"messy\" (or \"messie\" ?).

To be serious: It\'s meant to force an asker to provide a little more information if needed. I thought that would be quite clear by the conditions I mentioned.

I think it\'s just not fair if you and your colleagues (one of them is me ) spend energy and time for answering questions, ask for more information from the asker - and the outcome\'s just null.

An example: An asker asks for the meaning of \"set\". A couple of suggestions is provided - but it\'s impossible to find a correct translation if there\'s just no context. Two or three colleagues cry for \'context\' - no reaction. More answers are provided, each with a long description, some providing a list of possible translations, again asking for more context. No reaction.

The result: If that happens more than once you will think twice if you want to answer when it comes to answering a similar question next time.

So that\'s the \"why\": It\'s to prevent spending energy on abandoned questions if the asker just does not care about. I think it\'s quite good for him to know that his question will be deleted when he\'s not willing to provide needed information.

A workaround could be the following: A time-stamp that\'s shown with the request if someone asks for more context . That could be enough to find out if it does make any sense providing an answer: If the request is older than a day or so it\'s just likely that the asker is no more interested in that question. So you could safe your breath.
Collapse

Sandra Bonilla
Sandra Bonilla
English to Spanish
+ ...
not a good idea Dec 30, 2002

I agree; it\'s not kind when you ask for more context and the context is not given, but... I wouldn\'t delete the questions.

And, in case they have to be deleted, a reasonable waiting time should be granted. One day is far too short.

Domenica Grangiotti
Domenica Grangiotti  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree with Laura Dec 31, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-29 16:02, lcmolinari wrote:

Deleting any Kudoz questions, abandoned or not (unless they are offensive), would detract from the usefulness of this site. Those \'abandoned\' questions may still be useful to another translator who chooses to search old questions for a particular term. Even though more context may be needed, other Proz have still offered suggestions based on what they can guess, and this can still be ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-29 16:02, lcmolinari wrote:

Is it really that annoying to have a few open-ended questions floating about?

It is a real loss. I\'d rather cope with a few ungraded questions than missing some useful information.

WIsh you all a peaceful and prosperous 2003. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Next suggestion: Automatically delete \"abandoned\" KudoZ questions.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »