Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:00
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 31, 2007

Hi all,

I think it's time for the Proz moderator to implement sticky topics, and put a FAQ on top of every subforum. This is supported with other forum software like phpBB, so it should be possible for the Proz webmaster to develop.

Take for instance the question:
"How do I convert a PDF to Word/How do I translate a PDF with Trados/How do I count the words in a PDF?"

This has been asked almost once a week ever since I joined Proz.

I'm not
... See more
Hi all,

I think it's time for the Proz moderator to implement sticky topics, and put a FAQ on top of every subforum. This is supported with other forum software like phpBB, so it should be possible for the Proz webmaster to develop.

Take for instance the question:
"How do I convert a PDF to Word/How do I translate a PDF with Trados/How do I count the words in a PDF?"

This has been asked almost once a week ever since I joined Proz.

I'm not blaming newbies for not searching in the forum archive, but everybody would benefit from sticky topics as long as certain question is being repeated, and as long as newbies keep shooting questions without searching first.

Newbies will find the answer quicker rather than having to wait for replies. And the forum will be less cluttered by posts that are repeated and taking up screen real estate...

Jan
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
"Sticky topic" for questions that are repeated over and over May 31, 2007

Jan Sundström wrote:

I think it's time for the Proz moderator to implement sticky topics, and put a FAQ on top of every subforum.

With links to relevant HowTos in the article base.

Marc

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Agree May 31, 2007

I totally agree with Jan.
And Marc's idea is good too.

Best wishes,
Margreet

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:00
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Great suggestions! May 31, 2007

Jan Sundström wrote:

Hi all,

Hi Jan,

Thanks for a great suggestion! I also like Mark's idea to provide links to articles in the knowledge base.

This should be done by staff, not moderators. I have added these suggestions to our to-dos list.

Thanks again,
Enrique

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
I have already suggested the same last year, May 31, 2007

so I can totally agree only.

Best regards

Andrzej

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A different suggestion... May 31, 2007

Jan Sundström wrote:
I think it's time for the Proz moderator to implement sticky topics, and put a FAQ on top of every subforum.

Take for instance the question: "How do I convert a PDF to Word/How do I translate a PDF with Trados/How do I count the words in a PDF?" ... This has been asked almost once a week ever since I joined Proz.

I have a better idea.

When someone posts a question like that, the moderator should do two things: 1. he should reply to say that the question has been asked and answered, and that the poster should consult the archives; and 2. he should close the thread.

Closing the thread will keep people from replying to those questions, and cluttering up the forums with the same old responses to the same old questions.

If anyone did not find what he was looking for in the archives, then he can specifically say so when he posts a new thread, and explain in more detail what information he is looking for that he didn't find in the archives.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:00
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
I would not close threads on repest issues May 31, 2007

Hi Samuel,

I see no reason to close a thread because the issue has been discussed already. New people may bring new ideas. Why prevent them to ask or answer? What damage is done?

Cheers,
Enrique

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:00
English to Polish
They don't search May 31, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

Jan Sundström wrote:

Take for instance the question: "How do I convert a PDF to Word/How do I translate a PDF with Trados/How do I count the words in a PDF?" ... This has been asked almost once a week ever since I joined Proz.

I have a better idea.

When someone posts a question like that, the moderator should do two things: 1. he should reply to say that the question has been asked and answered, and that the poster should consult the archives; and 2. he should close the thread.

I don't think idea with closing threads would work. If a newbie doesn't search a forum before asking a question, they he/she wouldn't see closed threads on a subjects. Forums might end up flooded with many many many closed threads.

Anni

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I misunderstood May 31, 2007

Enrique wrote:
I see no reason to close a thread because the issue has been discussed already. New people may bring new ideas. Why prevent them to ask or answer? What damage is done?

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought the purpose of the original suggestion was to reduce the number of repeat-threads. Now I see that the purpose of it is simply to increase usefulness for people who don't want to search.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"increase usefulness for people who don't want to search" May 31, 2007

... and charge them a brownie or two for it? No, no ... I am just joking.

My good ol' boss called this kind of people "hunt dogs you need to carry on the way to the hunt".

smo

PS: In German it sounded much better:"Jagdhunde, die man zur Jagd tragen muss."

PPS: what about having a special corner for the OFF-the cliff-topics. Like

i) "I dowloaded TRADOS and it says it's a demo version"
ii) "Help - I keep seeing
... See more
... and charge them a brownie or two for it? No, no ... I am just joking.

My good ol' boss called this kind of people "hunt dogs you need to carry on the way to the hunt".

smo

PS: In German it sounded much better:"Jagdhunde, die man zur Jagd tragen muss."

ii) "Help - I keep seeing double - source and target"

Sigh ...

[Edited at 2007-05-31 19:36]
Collapse

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
It's not a question of people who don't want to search... May 31, 2007

...more a question of not knowing how to. I recall a recent question about reversing a TM - the asker HAD used the search facility but didn't use the right key words that would have triggered results.

I think Jan's suggestion is a brilliant and elegant solution, and I'm delighted that Enrique agrees.

Let's remember that newbies by definition are less experienced at all these things - as we all were once upon a time. I wouldn't want us to adopt a vindictive approach - "
... See more
...more a question of not knowing how to. I recall a recent question about reversing a TM - the asker HAD used the search facility but didn't use the right key words that would have triggered results.

I think Jan's suggestion is a brilliant and elegant solution, and I'm delighted that Enrique agrees.

Let's remember that newbies by definition are less experienced at all these things - as we all were once upon a time. I wouldn't want us to adopt a vindictive approach - "You didn't do this properly, so we're going to block you, so there, yah-boo sucks" (puts thumb to nose and waggles the other four fingers while sticking the tongue out as far as it will go).

[Edited at 2007-05-31 20:21]
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I like the title "Sticky topic", too May 31, 2007

Sounds just right for this type of thing. I hope the idea is implemented.

Astrid

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:00
English to Thai
+ ...
New aspects of sticky topics Jun 1, 2007

When time passes by, the sticky topics give us additional information as well. More ideas to be exchanged on this forum.... unless we want to ignore certain forum postings.

In my opinion, the sticky topics are mostly concernted by translator professionals. This is one merit of Proz.com forum.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Off the cliff Jun 1, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

ii) "Help - I keep seeing double - source and target"

Sigh ...

[Edited at 2007-05-31 19:36]

Fully agree with you, Vito. This would als be the right place for topics like: "I delivered my translation on time, client was satisfied but haven't been paid yet. Do I need to issue an invoice?"

[This is not fiction: there _was_ a colleague who asked this question]

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Used to be a forum search on the home page... Jun 1, 2007

Part of the problem is that at the forum section at the bottom of the home page, there are two places to click to "start a new forum post" and absolutely no "search forum" button in the immediate layout vicinity of that section. So I can understand that a newbie would have much more difficulty finding the forum search option instead of just starting a new post.

I know at one stage the staff added a forum search box at the lower left corner (just like for Kudoz questions), but for s
... See more
Part of the problem is that at the forum section at the bottom of the home page, there are two places to click to "start a new forum post" and absolutely no "search forum" button in the immediate layout vicinity of that section. So I can understand that a newbie would have much more difficulty finding the forum search option instead of just starting a new post.

I know at one stage the staff added a forum search box at the lower left corner (just like for Kudoz questions), but for some reason it was removed 2 days after it appeared, and I am not sure why... I sense that it would be helpful if this were put back in place.

By the way, speaking about repeated forum threads, this topic has already been discussed at http://www.proz.com/topic/68474...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Sticky topic" for questions that are repeated over and over

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »