Mobile menu

Need for correction to list of "states" in Spanish profiles
Thread poster: lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:52
Portuguese to English
Jun 14, 2007

When you complete your profile as a Spanish resident, the drop-down menu of "states/regions/provinces" is largely correct, except that it lists a "state" called "Valenciana". My profile therefore reads "(my name), Valenciana, Spain".

The fact is that there is no "state" in Spain called Valenciana. "Valenciana" is an adjective, not a noun or proper name, and the proper name of the "comunidade" (roughly equivalent to a US state or a Canadian province) where I live is "Comunidade Valenciana", on a par with Andalusia, Catalunya or Castilla-La Mancha. To abbreviate it to "Valenciana" is equivalent to putting "Oklahoman. USA" or "Californian, USA" on someone's profile.

And don't try to correct this by putting "Valencia" because that is the name of one the 3 provinces that make up the Comunidade Valenciana: Castellon, Valencia and Alicante.

Many of us here - including expats - feel quite seriously about this and would like to see it written correctly, though I wouldn't go as far as the two 80 year old members of the Academy of the Valencian Language who not long ago had to be separated by the police because they were rolling around and brawling on the floor over the use of a preposition in Valencian. (I'm not making this up).

[Edited at 2007-06-14 19:06]

Direct link Reply with quote

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 06:52
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Support ticket Jun 14, 2007

Have you submitted a support ticket, lexical? Cut and paste your forum posting! I'll bet it's fixed by tomorrow.

I understand how you feel. I was listed as being from "Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico" until I had the sense to submit a support ticket.

I don't brawl on the floor over it, but I detest hearing people pronounce the "s" at the end of my home state of Illinois!

lexical  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:52
Portuguese to English
Yes Jun 14, 2007

Thanks, I've submitted a support ticket.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need for correction to list of "states" in Spanish profiles

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs