Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Request to have a button to communicate with jobs posters (was "having to feel sorry...")
Thread poster: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:07
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jun 22, 2007

Agencies use a lot of excuses to get translators to lower their rates.

This is just the latest silly offer/condition I've come across at ProZ "Please offer your rate here. Kindly consider my location". Country is then supplied in brackets.

My first reaction (were I to reply to this kind of agency) would be "Please consider my location (i.e. high cost of living, high taxation, etc.)".

What these kind of agencies seem unable to understand is that I'm not a charity. I'm not here to make their lives easy, I'm here to make a living for myself. If I'm able to make their lives easy at the same time, all the better.

I know there have been previous discussion about the fact that there is no possibility to communicate with agencies unless you "submit a quote". The only two buttons are "Submit quote" and "Tell a friend".

If I use the "Submit quote" button to communicate my concerns to the agency, other colleagues working with the same language pair will see that somebody has submitted a quote. Their reaction to this would probably be either

a) quote submitted by someone who is trying out being a translator and who will do anything for a commission

b) rates for language pair being pushed down due to oversupply of qualified translators

People thinking a) don't really worry me, one-night wonders will always exist, b) is much more worrying.

Since there is no "Communicate with agency" (or similar) button, I would have to use the "Submit quote" button if I want to communicate with the agency. This gives my colleagues the false impression that others will accept these conditions.

Can we please have a third button, "Contact agency/client" or something similar, might be more appropriate than "Communicate with agency".

[Edited at 2007-06-22 20:23]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-06-25 15:22]

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:07
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Moving the topic ... Jun 23, 2007

...to ProZ.com suggestions forum.

Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
support Jun 23, 2007

support the suggestion

I have also missed such a feature, since I sometimes quote with my rates for jobs in my domains (as a pedagogical exercise) but knowing that I will not get the project.

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:07
German to English
+ ...
I no longer apply for jobs using the "submit quote" button Jun 23, 2007

I only apply if I'm given the option of contacting the outsourcer via email.

Trudy

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:07
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Excellent suggestion! Jun 23, 2007

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:
Can we please have a third button, "Contact agency/client" or something similar.

It often amazes me how careless clients/agencies can get upon posting their jobs. I can't imagine it's the lifeblood of their business.

Just for the exercise, let's transpose it to a different activity. Let's assume that Proz were the marketplace for restaurant owners.

Job: We need meat! Please state your best prices.

Nothing is said about beef, poultry, fresh, frozen, smoked... maybe even human meat would do!

Would you eat in such a place?
Back to our case, would you hire such an agency?

I have this long-standing issue about Brazilian and European Portuguese not being mutually interchangeable nor acceptable as a professional translation. If they forgot to mention it, one such Q&A will save time on both sides, by cutting wasted time in writing/reading useless bids.

However there are worse situations, such as "Medical text about brain surgery procedure. Not very technical." Who is or isn't able to do it?

Others simply say "credentials required". What kind of credentials?

Candidates should live in: [whatever country that has nothing to do with source/target languages] - unless it's interpreting work.

So it's a good idea to let candidates ask questions and get them answered on the job page, just like it is done on the Kudoz pages. Of course, the question (and answer) would have to be cleared by the job poster first, to prevent questions like When are you crooks gonna pay me for my last job? from coming up, as this is a Blue Board issue.

Ramon Inglada  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very good idea Jun 23, 2007

I agree, this is a very good idea, and maybe it would help to reduce the number of jobs being offered at ridiculously low rates.

Have a good weekend!

Ramon

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:07
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
It might help... Jun 23, 2007

So many job offers don't specify the subject matter, don't distinguish between (in my case) UK English or US English, give a deadline without specifying whether it is GMT or local time, etc. etc.

A "contact the outsourcer" button might help if they would actually take the trouble to answer your questions but I'm afraid that in many cases they may not bother.

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you José Jun 23, 2007

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Of course, the question (and answer) would have to be cleared by the job poster first, to prevent questions like When are you crooks gonna pay me for my last job? from coming up, as this is a Blue Board issue.

If I understand you correctly, you advise that any questions/answers should be vetted by a moderator to avoid ridiculous sandpit fights. Totally agree.

In the clear light of day, I can see that I probably should have divided my posting into two:

• Pleadings by ourtsourcers to reduce price because of x,y and z

• Facility to communicate with outsourcers about conditions, or collect more info about the job, without giving colleagues the impression others are prepared to work for ridiculous rates

• This thread has concentrated on the second, and very important, point. If I have the time later, I might start a second thread dealing with the first point.

Off to get rid of excess kids in the house and cook dinner.

[Edited at 2007-06-23 16:25]

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
My Personal Experience Jun 23, 2007

Since there is no "Communicate with agency" (or similar) button, I would have to use the "Submit quote" button if I want to communicate with the agency. This gives my colleagues the false impression that others will accept these conditions.

Of course, this is a logical impression. Personally I often submit my quote for such ridiculous offer. Nevertheless, it should be noted that I do that just to educate the job poster. I respond 'the best rate' by sending my normal translation/editing rates (US$0.12-0.14 per source word/US$40-45 per hour). As expected, the poster never responds to my quote altogether, but at least I have told him/her the proper rate.

Can we please have a third button, "Contact agency/client" or something similar, might be more appropriate than "Communicate with agency".

I agree with your suggestion.

Best Regards

Hipyan

[Edited at 2007-06-23 18:37]

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The very reason we need another button Jun 23, 2007

Hipyan Nopri wrote:

Personally I often submit my quote for such ridiculous offer. Nevertheless, it should be noted that I do that just to educate the job poster. I respond 'the best rate' by sending my normal translation/editing rates (US$0.12-0.14 per source word/US$40-45 per hour). As expected, the poster never responds to my quote altogether, but at least I have told him/her the proper rate.

That's it. The very reason we need a "Contact" button, or what else we want to call it. Less experienced colleagues will see your response, made by using the "Submit quote" button", and assume that the rates/conditions offered are acceptable to other professionals.

- Carolina  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Excellent idea! Jun 24, 2007

I support your suggestion

Best regards,
Asimenia

Marcela Mestre  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
So do I Jun 25, 2007

Great idea!
mm

Enrique Cavalitto
SITE STAFF
Responses to job postings should be based upon interest in the work Jun 25, 2007

Hi all,

A feature to request further information from jobs posters has been already suggested and it is in the site's to-dos list.

Other kind of messages to the outsourcer would be probably not in line with jobs rule 2.1:

Responses to job postings should be based upon interest in the work. Contacting a job poster (by using the quoting form or contacting directly) to make commentary on the posting without having any interest in completing the job, is prohibited.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=jobs_answ

Regards,
Enrique

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some clarification Jun 25, 2007

Of course, the question (and answer) would have to be cleared by the job poster first, to prevent questions like When are you crooks gonna pay me for my last job? from coming up, as this is a Blue Board issue.

If I understand you correctly, you advise that any questions/answers should be vetted by a moderator to avoid ridiculous sandpit fights. Totally agree.

Madeleine,

That's not what I had in mind. I guess moderators have enough to do already. I'd leave it to the job poster to reply, which would automatically put both question and answer on the job ad page.

Let's take a few examples:

Q: UK, US, or AU English?
A: US English, please.
[if the outsourcer doesn't answer, the question will never appear on the ad, letting everybody guess]

Q: The PDF source, was it distilled or scanned?
A: It was distilled from a QuarkXpress file.
[so bidders know that OCR won't be necessary]

Q: The check you sent five months after the promised date - the payment for my last job - bounced! Are you hunting for more suckers now?
[if the outsourcer doesn't reply, this will never show up on the job screen, but if...]
A: You @#$%^&*!!! We should have never paid you! You delivered late, and your job was so bad that it made us lose a good client.
[this should make the next browsing Prozian click on the "page moderator" button, which on its turn would lead him/her to delete this interchange (or the whole job posting) pronto.]

[Edited at 2007-06-25 18:35]

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Possible crossed wires here Jun 25, 2007

That's not what I had in mind. I guess moderators have enough to do already. I'd leave it to the job poster to reply, which would automatically put both question and answer on the job ad page.

Sorry I miunderstood you. I do see your point, only my original suggestion was only for an additional button. I did not intend for any other information to be added to the job posting, whether by poster or applicant.

"My" button would only send a message to the poster and possibly, only possibly, add one more number to a running total of how many people had contacted the outsourcer (similar to how numbers of applicants are added).

However, having read the examples you gave, I think it's probably better to have the button on its own, i.e. no running total which could be used for sandpit fights. "Look 17 contacts - must be bad, bad job posting."

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request to have a button to communicate with jobs posters (was "having to feel sorry...")

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs