Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:10
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 26, 2007

Hi developers!

Here you are something for the "to-do" list, which I think would make it more user-friendly when going around with Forum pages.

Let's take for instance the page http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&action=Overview&cat_group=recent "Most recent posts"
For every topic thread you see a folder-like icon in red or yellow, meaning "New pos
... See more
Hi developers!

Here you are something for the "to-do" list, which I think would make it more user-friendly when going around with Forum pages.

Let's take for instance the page http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&action=Overview&cat_group=recent "Most recent posts"
For every topic thread you see a folder-like icon in red or yellow, meaning "New posts since your last visit", "No new posts since your last visit" or "Topic is locked". All right.
BUT: the actual usefulness of this feature is not complete, I think...

Suppose that I get into any of those topic threads, visit it... when I get back to the "Most recent posts" page, the red icon keeps looking red!

I have discovered (or so it seems) that the red icon shows that "TODAY" there are new posts since my last visit.
What I suggest: that those red/yellow icons show "RIGHT NOW" if there are any new posts since my last visit, which means: immediately after I have visited a topic with a red icon, that icon turns yellow at once.

Regards,
Fabio
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It's simpler than that Jun 26, 2007

These flaming icons are somewhat complex. Do they rely on cookies? I guess so.

IMHO the easiest way to handle this would be to sort messages on the recent forum posts page by the latest post, and not by when the thread was initiated.

To make it clear, let's assume that I just added something to a two-year-old topic. It would go to the first place on the list.

Then someone adds a message to a two-day old topic, it goes to the top, and so on.

No
... See more
These flaming icons are somewhat complex. Do they rely on cookies? I guess so.

IMHO the easiest way to handle this would be to sort messages on the recent forum posts page by the latest post, and not by when the thread was initiated.

To make it clear, let's assume that I just added something to a two-year-old topic. It would go to the first place on the list.

Then someone adds a message to a two-day old topic, it goes to the top, and so on.

No need for burning folders. Let's save our forests!
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 13:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Member and non-member posts Jun 27, 2007

Another problem, if I'm following a popular thread, is that the non-member posts don't appear as quickly as the member posts. I think they have to be vetted first, right? So their posts may not show until an hour or more after they submitted them, while posts by members are immediately visible. However, when they do appear, they show up in their proper order according to the time they were submitted.

Let's say I check my email and I have 6 notifications of new posts in a thread I'm
... See more
Another problem, if I'm following a popular thread, is that the non-member posts don't appear as quickly as the member posts. I think they have to be vetted first, right? So their posts may not show until an hour or more after they submitted them, while posts by members are immediately visible. However, when they do appear, they show up in their proper order according to the time they were submitted.

Let's say I check my email and I have 6 notifications of new posts in a thread I'm tracking. I'm not going to click through to each post from my Inbox; I'm going to delete 5 of the notifications and click on the 6th, to read all the new posts at once.

But when I get there, I see only 2 or 3 new posts at the bottom. I have to go back (often to a previous page) and look at each post to find the ones that I haven't read, because they took longer to be made visible. The result is sometimes bizarre, if you read an entire thread from beginning to end, since later posters cannot read previous (invisible) posts before writing their own.

Did you ever read a post and think, "Why are they saying this? It was already dealt with in a previous post!"? Look back--that "previous post" was probably written by a non-member, and the later poster actually did not have the chance to read it.

Solution? I don't know. For my own use, I wish that there could be a flag on the posts I haven't read. I don't know how that could work, technically. All I can think of would be a flag on all posts that I could then remove when I've read that one. Is that feasible?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forum pages: icons showing "new posts since your last visit"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »