Organise topics by most recent contribution, not by most recent topic
Thread poster: Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:01
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 29, 2007

This has been suggested time and again, with strong agreement from numerous members and (to my knowledge) no dissent whatsoever. So why not do it?

I've lost count of the number of times that an interesting topic has died simply because it "falls off" the bottom of the page, not due to lack of interest.

The only reason I can think of for not implementing this suggestion is that it would probably result in increased traffic, and staff are concerned that this might make
... See more
This has been suggested time and again, with strong agreement from numerous members and (to my knowledge) no dissent whatsoever. So why not do it?

I've lost count of the number of times that an interesting topic has died simply because it "falls off" the bottom of the page, not due to lack of interest.

The only reason I can think of for not implementing this suggestion is that it would probably result in increased traffic, and staff are concerned that this might make the site too heavy. But if this is the case, it would be reasonable to let us know... I've never seen any response from staff on this suggestion.
Collapse

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Fully agree! Jun 29, 2007

You are absolutely right.
Henry, Patrick, Justin? Are you there?

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clearly not... Jun 29, 2007

Joanna Borowska wrote:

Henry, Patrick, Justin? Are you there?

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree, but... Jun 29, 2007

Hi,

I think there is a 6-hour difference between Italy and the USA, and a 5-hour difference between Italy and Argentina. I mention this because you and Joanna were wondering if Henry, Patrick or Justin were reading this already. Let's see if they react later today.

Anyways, Marie-Hélène, I agree with your proposal, but I personally prefer the idea of keeping the recently opened topics as having priority as "featured".

However, in the home page of Proz.com
... See more
Hi,

I think there is a 6-hour difference between Italy and the USA, and a 5-hour difference between Italy and Argentina. I mention this because you and Joanna were wondering if Henry, Patrick or Justin were reading this already. Let's see if they react later today.

Anyways, Marie-Hélène, I agree with your proposal, but I personally prefer the idea of keeping the recently opened topics as having priority as "featured".

However, in the home page of Proz.com, there is plenty of room, after the table of recently opened topics, for another table of, let's say, "old topics with recent posts":

So maybe after this first table of recently opened topics, we could add a second table, just like the first one, but with a heading/title text that said something like "Old topics with recent posts":

And then, in the "Recent posts" page (not the home page of Proz), at http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&topic_id=&forum_id=&action=Overview&cat_group=recent :

....you could then organize messages strictly according to most recent post (date, that is chronological order of recent posts).

But, again, remember that somewhere in the Proz "rules" it says that Proz "reserves the right" to decide which posts are featured on its home page, so...

Best,

Ivette
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point! Jun 29, 2007

I was forgetting that the US is "behind" Europe

As for your suggestions, I should clarify that I wasn't talking about the home page, but about the Community/Forums/Recent posts page, so I see that you agree!

As for the home page, I think it could be left as it is - there's a lot of information there already, and adding more might make it look too cluttered.

Ivette Camargo López
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Optional Jun 29, 2007

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

As for the home page, I think it could be left as it is - there's a lot of information there already, and adding more might make it look too cluttered.

Not if you make this visibility "optional", like other features of the home page.

Gotta run now,

Ivette

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:01
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Or perhaps an additional feature to please us all... Jun 29, 2007

ICL wrote:
remember that somewhere in the Proz "rules" it says that Proz "reserves the right" to decide which posts are featured on its home page

Conceded, ProZ reserves the right to display posts at his home page.
But nevertheless - one could probably choose to display "latest new topics" / "latest posts whatever"
Seen on the Home page:
1) Translation jobs for language translators, with the tabs "Your pairs" / "All pairs"
2) KudoZ term translation questions, with the tabs "Your prefs" / "All pairs"
3) Recent topics in translator forums - no tabs to choose

So this is my proposal right now: to add tabs such as "Sort by latest post" / "Sort by latest topics".

Regards,
Fabio

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Agree Jun 29, 2007

Fabio Descalzi Sgarbi wrote:
So this is my proposal right now: to add tabs such as "Sort by latest post" / "Sort by latest topics".

I think this would great addition, I fully agree with your proposal!

Ivette Camargo López
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good idea, too! Jun 29, 2007

Regards,
Fabio

Again, let's hope that sometime soon enough one of the staff members looks at this thread.

Enjoy the weekend,

Ivette

Anne Goff
Anne Goff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:01
French to English
+ ...
Agree Jun 29, 2007

Not only does the current organization mean that interesting and popular threads die because they fall off the page, it means that if someone wants to post on a popular topic (say, "How to Become a Freelance Translator") they either have to start ANOTHER new thread (which gets messy and repetitive) or they have to add to a now dead and ignored thread...

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:01
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Excellent suggestions Jun 29, 2007

ICL wrote:
remember that somewhere in the Proz "rules" it says that Proz "reserves the right" to decide which posts are featured on its home page

Conceded, ProZ reserves the right to display posts at his home page.
But nevertheless - one could probably choose to display "latest new topics" / "latest posts whatever"
Seen on the Home page:
1) Translation jobs for language translators, with the tabs "Your pairs" / "All pairs"
2) KudoZ term translation questions, with the tabs "Your prefs" / "All pairs"
3) Recent topics in translator forums - no tabs to choose

Regards,
Fabio

Marie-Hélène suggstion is great. Some good topics are forgotten when people introduce other topics. I didn't know this had already proposed. I think it's a kind of twin-issue of some suggestions I've proposed like Kudoz division and a Sort of the Answers given in our Kudoz section so we can sort them by language or alphabetically. Anyway...

...the best option is to set the "most recent contribution" in the frontpage. But, Fabio's idea is great too: to have the chance of sorting
a) according to the most recent contributions
b) according to the most recent topics

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So Henry, Patrick, Justin, WHERE ARE YOU? Jul 2, 2007

You're normally very prompt to respond...

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:01
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Usual way... Jul 2, 2007

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

You're normally very prompt to respond...

Support ticket pointing to this thread?

Good idea, BTW

Ciao
Chris

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:01
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
I have tagged this issues Jul 2, 2007

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions.

I have tagged this issue into our to-dos list, so it cah be properly evaluated and implemented.

Kind regards,
Enrique

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Enrique! Jul 3, 2007

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Organise topics by most recent contribution, not by most recent topic

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »