Thread poster: ICL

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 4, 2007

Hi,

I don't know if this has been specifically discussed before, but I know that it was at least mentioned in that super-long thread about "How to improve Proz" etc. as one of the issues that could cause misunderstandings.

1) First of all, I still have trouble being able to tell when a suggestion or an idea should be posted in this suggestion forum or should become the object of a "support ticket".

2) I noticed that some suggestions posted here in this forum receive the current forum moderator's (Henry D) immediate attention, while some others end up with the poster having practically to "yell" for attention and, when Enrique or anyone else (usually not Henry D) finally replies, the usual "will be added to the 'to-do list" answer is given. If you take a quick look at the current messages posted in this forum area, you will find many examples of what I am saying, including a very recent one from Marie-Hélène.

Therefore, my point is:

3) Obviously Henry D, who is the current moderator, either does not have the time to give this forum the attention it deserves or he should explain why immediate attention is given by him to some messages and not to others.

4) I suggest (????) that an exclusively devoted moderator for this forum be assigned, so that enthusiastic members/users or merely members/users interested in providing useful feedback do not get discouraged by the lack of or rather the uneven attention or reaction from the Proz.com team. Or else just remove the suggestion forum and leave all suggestions to the Support Ticket procedure.

DISCLAIMER: this is meant as "constructive criticism" and as another suggestion to *improve*

Proz.com.

Best regards,

Ivette

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:30
English to German
+ ...
Info only Jul 4, 2007

Ahem, Ivette.

Henry D is the site founder, he owns this thing. Hey, maybe he's busy?

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Founder but also moderator of this forum Jul 4, 2007

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Ahem, Ivette.

Henry D is the site founder, he owns this thing. Hey, maybe he's busy?

Well thank you, Nicole, I had noticed that Henry D is the founder, but if he is also the moderator of this forum, *maybe* he should take care of this as a *moderator* not a founder?

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:30
SITE FOUNDER
Response to Ivette Jul 4, 2007

ICL wrote:

Hi,

I don't know if this has been specifically discussed before, but I know that it was at least mentioned in that super-long thread about "How to improve Proz" etc. as one of the issues that could cause misunderstandings.

1) First of all, I still have trouble being able to tell when a suggestion or an idea should be posted in this suggestion forum or should become the object of a "support ticket".

If you want help from colleagues, use the forums. If you want direct attention from ProZ.com staff members, whether that be for assistance or the implementation of a suggestion, support tickets are better. Those are tracked on a ticket by ticket basis, and we try hard to make sure every ticket gets closed as promptly as possible.
2) I noticed that some suggestions posted here in this forum receive the current forum moderator's (Henry D) immediate attention, while some others end up with the poster having practically to "yell" for attention and, when Enrique or anyone else (usually not Henry D) finally replies, the usual "will be added to the 'to-do list" answer is given. If you take a quick look at the current messages posted in this forum area, you will find many examples of what I am saying, including a very recent one from Marie-Hélène.

I check various forums sporadically, but read only a fraction of the posts in each. Therefore, no significance should be assigned to the fact that I have responded to one but not another.

After the "improve" thread, we set as an internal objective that each suggestion in the forums would be reviewed and responded to promptly. With just under four hundred posts made per day at ProZ.com, in many languages, we have not yet been successful in bringing about an infrastructure that achieves this. I regret this and we continue to hold out the objective. In the meantime, I ask that when something really needs attention, you submit a support ticket.

To be clear, though, every suggestion in this forum eventually gets reviewed. Periodically, we comb the forum and catalog all suggestions, even if we do not respond promptly.
4) ... Or else just remove the suggestion forum and leave all suggestions to the Support Ticket procedure.

Not a bad idea. We could at least provide a link to the support system, along with an explanation of when to use it. I'll discuss with the team.

Thanks!

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, that was quick! ;-) Jul 4, 2007

Hi Henry D,

I think that through my support tickets and other forms of communication we have had in the past, you know that I am always interested in establishing a constructive dialogue with Proz, so I opened this thread with that same perspective in mind.

So thanks for clarifying all of the points I asked.

But like I said, the existence of a suggestion forum is obviously a very "attention-focused" medium that, in case of no attention or of "delayed" attention, may give some a feeling of discouragement about the creativity/feedback they are willing to offer Proz.com.

As you already answered, I know that obviously there are many Proz-specific forums that require the attention of the Proz.com team, not only of you, and though I sincerely appreciate the "personal" touch you may want to give to some forums by being the appointed moderator, in some cases it may prove ineffective, because obviously you are very busy and may not be able to dedicate it the time it requires.

I am not sure I like the idea of completely removing the Suggestion forum. I would prefer that, as previously commented, an exclusively devoted moderator were assigned, but then again, it may all depend on your current Proz.com resources.

Again, thanks for your kind reply,

Ivette

P.S.: I just modified this message to change the word "retarded" to "delayed", as per a nice Prozian suggestion (sorry, I was probably thinking of the Spanish word "retrasado", which has different connotations in English. Thanks, teju!)

[Edited at 2007-07-04 12:57]

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Misleading Jul 4, 2007

Henry D wrote:

If you want help from colleagues, use the forums. If you want direct attention from ProZ.com staff members, whether that be for assistance or the implementation of a suggestion, support tickets are better.

I'm sure I'm not alone in having always assumed that the best way to suggest an improvement to Proz.com is to post it in the Proz.com suggestions forum! I thought that support tickets are for *when you have a problem*.

I think the suggestions forum is essential, if only because both users/members and site staff can see instantly whether a particular suggestion is popular or not. Abolishing the forum in favour of submission of a support ticket would leave us all in the dark over whether a given idea is shared by the community as a whole.
So I think it's important to keep this forum and check the discussions in it regularly.

Anne Goff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:30
French to English
+ ...
Keep the Forum Jul 4, 2007

I think the support forum is helpful, even if answers are occasionally slow. Not only does it show, as Marie-Hélène says, the popularity of any given idea, it allows members to discuss the idea.

I've seen many suggestions modified and improved by discussion on the forums.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Attention given to Proz suggestion forum

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs