Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Who doesn't like ProZ.com graphics? These pale green and pale yellow...
Thread poster: Graziano Scaldaferri (X)
Graziano Scaldaferri (X)
Graziano Scaldaferri (X)
Local time: 03:37
English to Italian
Jul 13, 2007

Hi all,

I'm sure everybody will agree that Proz.com is a very great website as to the multiple great services it offers to its users.
I have rarely seen such a high quality website, and I'm not even a paying member. I guess paying members believe it's absolutely top notch!

But doesn't anybody think its graphics is not necessarily as great as all the rest? These pale green and this pale yellow... I'm sorry to say this, but I really don't like them.

... See more
Hi all,

I'm sure everybody will agree that Proz.com is a very great website as to the multiple great services it offers to its users.
I have rarely seen such a high quality website, and I'm not even a paying member. I guess paying members believe it's absolutely top notch!

But doesn't anybody think its graphics is not necessarily as great as all the rest? These pale green and this pale yellow... I'm sorry to say this, but I really don't like them.

Maybe this is just a stupid issue, but I have a passion for web designing and my eye just catches this kind of stuff.

Who else agrees with me on this?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-13 23:38]
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Moved the topic... Jul 13, 2007

...to the forum Proz.com suggestions. Even though it does not include a suggestion, yet, I believe many will follow soon

Good luck!

Regards,
Özden

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
I do Jul 13, 2007

There are certainly more important issues I would like to see addressed (like upgrading or changing the forum system), but yes, I second your sentiment.

Benjamin

Graziano Scaldaferri (X)
Graziano Scaldaferri (X)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
That's right... Jul 13, 2007

...but we can have a little fun, right?

Since I opened the topic, I might just as well be the first one to make a suggestion.

I think a combination of colours that would work is for example the one of the pages that advertise Proz memberships, that light gray and the usual green. It would give the whole site a Web 2.0-ish look.

It's up to you now. What colors would you like Proz in?
... See more
...but we can have a little fun, right?

Since I opened the topic, I might just as well be the first one to make a suggestion.

I think a combination of colours that would work is for example the one of the pages that advertise Proz memberships, that light gray and the usual green. It would give the whole site a Web 2.0-ish look.

It's up to you now. What colors would you like Proz in?

[Modificato alle 2007-07-13 18:43]
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I kind of like it Jul 13, 2007

These colours are very easy on my eyes, while the hard white backgrounds of - for example - the Google homepage are a little too bright to look at for a long time.
My two cents...

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 02:37
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Monitor settings Jul 13, 2007

It depends to some degree on your monitor settings.
On my laptop, everything looks very pleasant and welcoming with warm hues (brownish, dusky pink) , on my LCD monitor (although it has generally excellent colors) it looks a bit more agressive (yellow/greenish) and definitely not as attractive as on my laptop.

[Edited at 2007-07-13 20:13]

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Agree with Margreet Jul 13, 2007

The colour scheme is very eye-friendly. For that matter, my Windows colour scheme is sort of similar...

If anything, the home page is a bit busy, but then it's a busy site, right?

Pawel Skalinski

simona dachille
simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
I'm used to it now... Jul 13, 2007

I too have an eye for design and could imagine the site in a totally different way but I'm used to this style now, it's familiar and wherever I am, once I log in, I'm home again...
It wouldn't be proz if it didn't look like this!

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:37
English to French
+ ...
I like it the way it is. Jul 14, 2007

I find the colors and design sober, not agressive. I've liked them since the first day I logged on. I'm not too crazy about a (drastic) change.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:37
Japanese to English
Looks fine to me Jul 14, 2007

I think it's fine. I like plain and simple. I have other favorite colors, but there's no way to please everyone, right?

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:37
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
A question of khaki Jul 14, 2007

I agree, the colours are not the most wonderfully catchy on the web, but I think the site is purposely made to look a bit rustic and tweedy, a bit Sunday dinner, pipes and slippers by the fire, so that it appeals to the translation professionals and not just to the techie web-orientated young generations. It reminds me in fact of 1940's desert war operations because of the khaki colour.

Whenever I show the Proz site to someone who has never seen it before they always get a negative
... See more
I agree, the colours are not the most wonderfully catchy on the web, but I think the site is purposely made to look a bit rustic and tweedy, a bit Sunday dinner, pipes and slippers by the fire, so that it appeals to the translation professionals and not just to the techie web-orientated young generations. It reminds me in fact of 1940's desert war operations because of the khaki colour.

Whenever I show the Proz site to someone who has never seen it before they always get a negative impression, it only being later, after they get to know Proz and use it that they start to understand its true benefits. A lot of people are put off at first site (sic) though.

I think that a change needs to be made for sure - the colours are pretty awful. In fact I think that a change is already in the pipeline, but it's necessary to make sure that any future colour scheme is appropriate. I wouldn't be happy with Reds and Yellows for example. Maybe blues and greys, or would that be too corporate?
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
I like these colours Jul 14, 2007

so soothing and eye-friendly...

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I agree Jul 14, 2007

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

so soothing and eye-friendly...

I agree. I'm perfectly happy with the site and the colours - don't see any need to change them.
Regards,
Jenny.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:37
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Dollar-green Jul 14, 2007

That's how I call this kind of green. How appropriate for a website for professional translators..
I, too, like the soothing and friendly colors, especially for a website that is open in the background all day long. I even find some animated banners or hysterically animated profile-pics that we have to encounter here quite annoying.

Form follows function and the Proz.com designers did a darn' good job. Professional!

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Don't change the colours Jul 14, 2007

I'm very happy with the colours. Easy to read, professional look.
By the way, the combination of soft yellow background and black text is considered the most eye-friendly colour in music engraving, a lot of sheet music comes printed this way.

Don't change it, rather see if we can get rid of those animated ad banners instead...

My 2 cents...
Erik

P.S.: That said, and reading Nicole's remark, I will start to think about a different profile pic... See more
I'm very happy with the colours. Easy to read, professional look.
By the way, the combination of soft yellow background and black text is considered the most eye-friendly colour in music engraving, a lot of sheet music comes printed this way.

Don't change it, rather see if we can get rid of those animated ad banners instead...

My 2 cents...
Erik

P.S.: That said, and reading Nicole's remark, I will start to think about a different profile pic

[Bearbeitet am 2007-07-14 08:51]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who doesn't like ProZ.com graphics? These pale green and pale yellow...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »