Mobile menu

Two suggestions for the homepage: show more KudoZ questions, reposition search box
Thread poster: Gillian Scheibelein

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:22
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2007

The current homepage shows 10 Kudoz questions (and 20 forum topics). Would it be possible to increase this to 15 or even 20? This should raise the number of answers given.

This would also benefit those people with several languages (particularly Spanish / English / French / German combinations) as the number of relevant questions is much higher.

It would of course mean more scrolling, but we are having to do this anyway to look at the forum topics / upcoming powwows, etc.

As a second suggestion, could the "search" box for glosspost/users/forums etc be repositioned under the "term search box"? I'm sure many people overlook it, which is why there are so many repeat questions (dealing with PDFs, etc.).

Cheers,
Jill

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes & no Jul 17, 2007

I agree with the first suggestion, not so sure about the second.

Best,
Margreet

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes and yes... Jul 17, 2007

Hi Gillian,

I agree with both of your suggestions, especially increasing the number of Kudoz questions shown (though not that I myself really have so much time to participate in Kudoz, anyways).

I also think the number of forum topics featured on the home page could be increased.

Perhaps by increasing these entries the Home Page would look a bit more "balanced", because right now the number of boxes to the right and left looks way longer than the center boxes.

And yes, it makes perfect sense to put the Term search and Search boxes together.

Best,

Ivette

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 00:22
SITE FOUNDER
Good suggestions! Jul 17, 2007

Thanks for these suggestions. I will call Colin's attention to these; he is working on a site design update.

If you would like to view the updated design, which is now in a beta stage, and hopefully make other suggestions like these, please enter a support ticket to get access. (Members only for beta testing, please.)

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:22
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
The home page could be made customizable Jul 17, 2007

If technically feasible, paying members could be given the possibility of setting the number of entries visible in the home page.
ProZ.com could keep the visibility of all features, for example setting a minimum number of 3 entries, but we could increase or decrease the length of each section, according to our preferences.

For example:
Jobs: 3 (min)
Kudoz: 30 (MAX)
Forums: 3 (min)
or
Jobs: 30 (MAX)
Kudoz: 3 (min)
Forums: 10
or
Jobs: 3 (min)
Kudoz: 3 (min)
Forums: 30 (MAX)

and so forth.
After all, past the home page, each section is fully accessible anyway, with a simple click.
Non members and non-logged-in visitors would see the standard page with the default settings.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2007-07-17 15:08]

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Different users, different needs Jul 17, 2007

I was about to suggest customization, but I see gianfranco has already done so. If we can customize the size of each list within minimum and maximum limits, then each user and member can serve their own needs and interests best, instead of those of an "average" user.

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Agree Jul 17, 2007

GoodWords wrote:

I was about to suggest customization, but I see gianfranco has already done so. If we can customize the size of each list within minimum and maximum limits, then each user and member can serve their own needs and interests best, instead of those of an "average" user.

KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:22
Japanese to English
One more thing... Jul 17, 2007

...since we're discussing the Home Page, shouldn't the box on the lower-left that says "Welcome New Members" actually read "Welcome New & Returning Members"?
I regularly see the names of existing Members in this box listed as "New" Members, when I guess they're probably just renewing their membership.
Just my 2 yen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two suggestions for the homepage: show more KudoZ questions, reposition search box

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs