Mobile menu

I think it would be a valuable resource for us if ProZ.com offered an archive of parallel texts.
Thread poster: Graziano Scaldaferri
Graziano Scaldaferri
Local time: 18:39
English to Italian
Jul 17, 2007

I think it would be a valuable resource for us if Proz offered an archive of parallel texts.

It may be quite a difficult service to implement because of the large upload of documents this would result in, since each forum in a specific language should have its own archive. But still, I think it would be very useful.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-18 06:59]

Direct link Reply with quote

Chiara Righele  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
That would be great! Jul 17, 2007

I suppose the work to be done in order to create a valuable corpus would be large as well...

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:39
Member (2004)
German to English
Three things.... Jul 17, 2007

Firstly, a great deal would depend on the quality of the translation. Who is going to verify that? Poor quality parallel texts simply perpetuate mistakes.

Secondly, who would define what a parallel text should be like? There is a big range from the very literal translation designed to give the reader an impression of the original, or intended to keep very closely to legal wording, to the fairly free rendering of a short story that aims to create a work of literary quality. Interestingly, there might be quite different "parallel" versions of the same text created for different purposes.

Thirdly, one can already find a great many parallel texts by looking on the internet for websites and documents that are published in different language versions. The publications of international bodies of repute can provide masses of parallel texts worth studying if they cover the sort of area you are interested in.

But I have to say that, in particular when translating legal contracts, I wonder how much of the world's time is wasted translating documents that may have been translated dozens of times before - my dream is of a vast database of translated agreements where you could look to see if the one you are working on has already been translated!

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 13:39
SITE STAFF
Translation contests Jul 17, 2007

In a way the translation contests held in the site produce sets of parallel texts, each containing a source text in a language and several versions of the same text in several different target languages.

Cheers,
Enrique

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:39
SITE FOUNDER
Worth considering Jul 18, 2007

Certainly sounds worth considering. I wonder how many members would be interested in building / using such a resource, and what structure it would take.

Graziano Scaldaferri
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
In my head... Jul 20, 2007

In my head the archive would be broken down into categories per field, and then each category would be furtherly subdivided per kind of document.

So for example there would be the law, financial, arts, medical, ecc. categories. The law one would be broken down into agreements, certificates and so on - maybe there could be links to Kudoz in the law area.

I would be much interested. Most translators search the web for parallel texts, I think it would help everybody to know already where to find them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I think it would be a valuable resource for us if ProZ.com offered an archive of parallel texts.

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs