Mobile menu

A filter for blocking notifications of questions by certain askers (T)
Thread poster: Cilian O'Tuama

Cilian O'Tuama
Local time: 11:22
German to English
+ ...
Jan 27, 2003

Call me radical if you will, but recently I have noticed what I consider to be abuse of the site by certain askers - askers who I am no longer willing to help.

Although I am probably one of the first to \"complain\" when notifications do not reach me, I am now enquiring about the possibility of setting a filter somewhere (e.g. email preferences in our profiles) to prevent notifications of certain people\'s postings from reaching me. When I see the same person not only asking lots of questions almost every day, but sometimes even asking the same questions repeatedly (having forgotten(!) that they asked them before), I just couldn\'t be bothered offering support as I feel the askers are just taking advantage of those willing to help.

If that is not feasible or is too complicated, maybe it would be possible to show the asker\'s name on the overview page (or whatever you call the page where 50 (or more/less) questions in \"your pairs\" are listed). That way, I\'d know which questions I can immediately ignore.

This is not so much a problem with a DSL line, but can be a real time-waster with only ISDN.

Just wanted to get that off my chest! (Feel better already)

Regards to all,

Cilian

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 19:32]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contact a moderator Jan 27, 2003

Hi Cilian,

I see your point in principle - but honestly, if you turn off notification for \"Easy\" questions, how often is the case you described really going to happen?

If there is any persistent usage problem with specific users, why don\'t you identify this problem to a moderator? To give you an example: we recently had to deal with an asker who stubbornly refused to grade questions. Having sent out a few (more or less) gentle reminders that were left without reaction, we simply blocked that person\'s access. Solved...

Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Yes but Jan 27, 2003

... Ralf can you sincerely ignore there is a problem somewhere in those Kudoz.

We had that conversation in the fra forum a few weeks ago, and we were opposed by people who said we had no heart, we were obnoxious children torturers or something, and they wanted Proz to be opened to all teenagers in the world wanting to have fun on the Internet, and they were willing to help them, and consequently help spread the reputation that Proz is the one place in the world where you can make fun of foreign professionnals. Our opponents were so self-righteous that I now let them take their own responsibilities.

As for people who ask you to translate a whole text, I make no comment either.

I just hope sound judgement will prevail. I am here for work and colleagues. Almost everybody is here for work.

Cilian O'Tuama
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf, but.... Jan 27, 2003

...firstly, that would obviously block ALL easy questions, and

secondly, very few questions from these askers are \'easy\' (IOW, they are members).

It\'s fine by me if other peers are willing to continue answering these people\'s questions - a choice IMO everyone should be able to make for himself.

The people I have in mind do actually grade their questions.

I just think it would be a handy feature to have because of the occasional \'black sheep\' out there.

Ciao,

Cilian

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes, the problem exists Jan 27, 2003

Have a look at this

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/351660

It is really frustrating to see the use certain askers make of this site and this is only an example, unfortunately abuses are more frequent than we can imagine. Empty profiles area good vehicle for that practice, but not the only one.

Not to mention people having translation tests done through KudoZ.

I think that the only thing we can do is just avoid answering to certain askers.

But I know that moderators now have more means to track \'unpleasant\' behaviours and I hope they will make use of them so that we can solve this kind of problems which may really be annoying and spoil the site.

Antonella

Ilde Grimaldi  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
filters Jan 27, 2003

Hi, I was the one in the Proz moderators list to repeatedly ask that Kudoz notification had the name of the asker in the message, so that I could see directly in my mail program who the asker was. This because I had no time to visit the pages, but I wished to be informed if some of the person I appreciate in my SC (or of someone that had already helped me) needed some help, so I could see if I had a solution. This thing has been implemented, and now in Outlook Express I have set a simple filter that colours message in magenta when the Kudoz messages contains: \"Asker: xax ccc\", Asker: XXX YYY\" etc. (the people I care about)

You could set a filter that directly sends to the Recycle Bin those messages with subject containing \"[Proz.com Kudoz]\" and the body of the message containing \"Asker: xxx (name of the person you think does not deserve your time)\". You wouldn\'t even notice the message arriving from this person.

ciao! Ilde

PS: I propose that because you say it\'s not a problem of Internet connection costs.

BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Filtering questions Jan 29, 2003

I\'m very glad to see this problem being adressed again, this time without a rebuttal by a Moderator saying that site abuse does not exist and that a service that is being offered for free cannot be abused.

I brought the subject up a couple of months ago and that was the response I received. Now sometime this week I read on the front page that ProZ is going to use a filter to block questions from certain askers who abuse the site. Therefore, clearly the problem exists.

I believe ProZ has made an excellent decision. I also believe it will raise the quality of the questions and send a loud message that this is a professional site.

The teeny boppers who use this site to do their homework or translate love letters will hopefully get themselves a dictionary or look up the terms on the internet. I remember when I was in school whenever we did not know the meaning of a word, the teacher would tell us that we would never forget it if we had to look it up ourselves instead of getting the answer from them.

Good move!

Belkis

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
clarification regarding home page notice Jan 29, 2003

A clarification: the note on the home page this week that you must be referring to was relate to a modification in our privacy policy.

Our privacy policy used to say that we did not associate IP addresses with users. Now we do. This is a precaution taken for abuse of all kinds throughout the site, and was not specifically related to KudoZ.

BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
No... Jan 29, 2003

No Henry, I saw that notice also. The one I am referring to clearly specified it was against site abuse.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A filter for blocking notifications of questions by certain askers (T)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs