Mobile menu

Suggestion for a new forum: Computer work and your health (Staff:'done')
Thread poster: Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Jan 28, 2003

Henry,

At Kim\'s suggestion, I am bringing this topic to your attention in this forum.

Please see our current discussion about this new Health forum, which could be interesting for Proz members:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=8050&forum=21

As stated, I believe that this would be very beneficial, and I am available to take on the responsibility of moderating this new forum.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards,

Nathalie

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 19:22]

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:15
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Let's stick to what we are experts in Jan 28, 2003

that is to translation.

Internet is full of proverbial \"good\" health advices and I resist to take any if they are not comming from a qualified doctor.

My 2c

Magda

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't forget the risks involved Jan 28, 2003

Hi Nathalie,

My concern echoes Magda\'s comments - health tips are great (and that\'s what I understand as your motivation), but the dividing line to becoming the translators\' WebMD is very thin (if it can be drawn at all). I would find such a development dangerous rather than beneficial.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very good point Ralf Jan 28, 2003

Good morning,

And that\'s exactly why the following *disclaimer* was clearly included as part of my original welcome message to the Health forum on TC (and will get repeated on a regular basis):

\"Important: I would also like to remind everyone that TranslatorCafe, the owner of this website and myself will not be held responsible for any information posted in this forum.

I urge you to *** consult your local health professional *** for any medical conditions you may currently have or develop.

The advice contained in this forum is for information purposes only, and the advice from your medical doctor will always prevail.\"

I am a certified fitness instructor, and we deal with this sort of thing very carefully on a regular basis.

I appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Nathalie

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-28 11:29]

Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 14:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
I believe it is important to keep our health Jan 28, 2003

I have suffered carpal tunnel syndrome, and some of my friends have undergone surgery because of it. I firmly believe we have to take care of our health, and if a health professional is within our reach, especially one who knows perfectly the risks associated with our work, so much the better.

We human beings love to say we are indestructible, and some day our little finger hurts, and we run to the doctor, and pay whatever he says. Why do we have to wait until it hurts, instead of learning to do things the right way from the beginning?

...And enjoy your work, as I do mine!

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 21:15
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
And I'm pro Nathalie and Carlos and contra Magda et al Jan 28, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-28 10:05, Magda-KMM wrote:

Let\'s stick to what we are experts in that is to translation.

Internet is full of proverbial \"good\" health advices and I resist to take any if they are not comming from a qualified doctor.

Magda

Yes, this site is for and about translation but we (translation pros) spend weeks sitting at our lap- and desktops. Not a very healthy way of life, I should say. Usually we don\'t feel it while we\'re not ill. And then it\'s too late.

Yes, I know that there\'re many health advices on the Web. Perhaps too many. The matter is that I don\'t have time enough to search for them and I would be happy if somebody could share here some quality health and fitness resources useful from the point of view of our profession.

And Nathalie doesn\'t speak about drastic drugs: just some exercises to stretch your body or to relief your tired eyes, etc.

And I don\'t think a couple of such exercises a day involve too many risks (if you have a head on your shoulders and can feel your body and soul). THE ABSENCE OF SUCH EXERCISES IS MUCH MORE RISKY, believe me.

Regards,

Nikita Kobrin

Liss Myrås  Identity Verified
Sweden
Danish to Norwegian
+ ...
Agree with Carlos and Nikita Jan 29, 2003

If Natalie as a professional instructor offers to give us advice/tips who perhaps can prevent us from damaging on our health I will warmly welcome it.

We are already discussing all kinds of technical subjects and translator resources, so why should we forget about how important it is to maintain our health both physical and mental.

Could be positive to share experiences with each other regarding subjects like stress, headache, strain injury, alternative efforts ,exercises, tricks, ergonomic equipment etc.

Did I overdo it now?

All the best from Liss

Nina Engberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:15
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
No need Jan 29, 2003

Hi Nathalie,

How wonderful to hear about your passion for health and your desire to share your knowledge with us!

I do, however, not believe that there is a need for a health forum on this site. I will have to agree with Tayfun, Magda, and Ralf.

Maybe those interested could check your forum out at TC?

Lesley Clayton
France
French to English
+ ...
Why not use the Off Topic forum for health matters? Jan 29, 2003

I can\'t see the need for a separate forum when we already have a suitable place for these topics.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Nina :-) Jan 29, 2003

That was my suggestion a few days ago on the thread mentioned at the top of this discussion (for Proz members to come visit my forum on TC)

My original suggestion on Proz made back in November was made when we were discussing the \"Proz/Conz\" of having a (live) chat room on Proz... or perhaps holding *live discussions* on special topics.

This was one of the topics which I had suggested.

So for those of you who want to participate (in conversations, interesting instant polls, learn about ergonomics, tools, tips, etc...) feel free to come visit and participate in the \"Computer work and your health\" (and other forums) on TranslatorsCafé:

http://www.translatorscafe.com/Cafe/MegaBBS/category-view.asp?showall=true

I hope to see you there!

Kind regards,

Nathalie

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Henry Higgins proven wrong Jan 31, 2003

It seems my Henry Higgins trick the other day was off the mark. In my guessing game about the true writer behind the message just above this one, I committed the error of alluding to another writer other than the name on the profile. It has now been proven to me that she is a she and not anyone else. Case closed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion for a new forum: Computer work and your health (Staff:'done')

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs