Professional membership mentioned in newsletter - can you explain? (Mod:'done')
Thread poster: Kay Fisher (X)
Kay Fisher (X)
Kay Fisher (X)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2003

From the \"news\" sent out be e-mail today: QUOTE

Other improvements suggested:

- Site redesign

- \"Professional\" level of membership

- mentoring / training

- certification program

- feedback system on translators

We will be working through the year to make the improvements

you requested. (We also have lots more planned!) We will
... See more
From the \"news\" sent out be e-mail today: QUOTE

Other improvements suggested:

- Site redesign

- \"Professional\" level of membership

- mentoring / training

- certification program

- feedback system on translators

We will be working through the year to make the improvements

you requested. (We also have lots more planned!) We will be

posting progress reports in future newsletters.

UNQUOTE

I think I\'ve seen this suggestion of \"professional membership\" somewhere on these boards before, but I can\'t find a post. I welcome someone pointing me in the right direction, especially if it seems I\'m reintroducing a topic which has already been done to death.

I have the following concrete questions.

1) Is professional membership one of the suggestions that will be implemented this year?

2) How will it differ from Platinum, Premium and Guest membership? (Please note that the question is how WILL it differ, not how SHOULD it differ - I mean the question to Henry or others who have made the decision to introduce this membership grade)

3) How will you grade professionalism? (same note as above)

I thank you for your answers before I start a discussion on the pros and cons of such a grade.

For the record I\'m a guest member considering platinum, and no, I\'m not certified, but considering it.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 19:27]
Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:39
German to English
+ ...
Professional membership Jan 30, 2003

I think what Henry means is membership in a professional association such as a translators association.

If not, I\'d like to be enlightened, too!

Trudy

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's in the works Jan 30, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-30 10:42, KFF wrote:

1) Is professional membership one of the suggestions that will be implemented this year?

2) How will it differ from Platinum, Premium and Guest membership? (Please note that the question is how WILL it differ, not how SHOULD it differ - I mean the question to Henry or others who have made the decision to introduce this membership gr... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-30 10:42, KFF wrote:

2) How will it differ from Platinum, Premium and Guest membership? (Please note that the question is how WILL it differ, not how SHOULD it differ - I mean the question to Henry or others who have made the decision to introduce this membership grade)

3) How will you grade professionalism? (same note as above)

Hi,

1. Such a program is now being fine-tuned. To answer your other points:

2. What is being contemplated is not \"professional membership\" per se (we don\'t need another membership level) but certain requirements for quality assurance. While this will definitely spell a difference in professional status between some members and others, they may imply certain restrictions which not everybody might be ready for (for example, the requirement of native proficiency in the target language, certain baseline prerequisites in terms of background and experience that not all may have, but may eventually acquire, a certain demand for specialization, etc.). This is definitely not a program for ALL, but will appeal to those who have already taken such decisions.

3. \"Grading\" in the sense of subjective value judgment shall be kept to a minimum and in such an event must be a result of some professional consensus. All other criteria (papers, credentials, certificates) are objective.

Hope to have answered your question.

Cecilia ▲ Collapse

Kay Fisher (X)
Kay Fisher (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A few more details please... Jan 30, 2003

[2. What is being contemplated is not \"professional membership\" per se (we don\'t need another membership level) but certain requirements for quality assurance. While this will definitely spell a difference in professional status between some members and others, they may imply certain restrictions which not everybody might be ready for (for example, the requirement of native proficiency in the target language, certain baseline prerequisites in terms of background and experience that not all ma... See more
[2. What is being contemplated is not \"professional membership\" per se (we don\'t need another membership level) but certain requirements for quality assurance. While this will definitely spell a difference in professional status between some members and others, they may imply certain restrictions which not everybody might be ready for (for example, the requirement of native proficiency in the target language, certain baseline prerequisites in terms of background and experience that not all may have, but may eventually acquire, a certain demand for specialization, etc.). This is definitely not a program for ALL, but will appeal to those who have already taken such decisions.

[/quote]

May I ask what will be restricted to those of us not yet considered as professionals due to qualifications not yet obtained or not enough years in the business? Will we still get the same use we do now as Guest members or will these criteria restrict access to platinum/premium membership? Or will we not be able to apply for jobs or ask/answer Kudoz questions?

I appreciate the reasons for wanting to introduce quality control (and to an extent I agree with your criteria, although that is a whole different discussion I personally don\'t want to get into here).I\'d just like to know which parts of the site will be affected and who\'s going to be doing the contolling.

I enjoy using this site a lot, although I don\'t use the jobs facilities. As I think due to my lack of experience (will be gained, obviously, over the next few years) and a shortage of appropriate pieces of paper that I\'ll probably not count as professional, I\'d like to know how I\'ll be restricted in future please.

Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
The site will remain unaffected Jan 30, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-30 21:32, KFF wrote:

May I ask what will be restricted to those of us not yet considered as professionals due to qualifications not yet obtained or not enough years in the business? Will we still get the same use we do now as Guest members or will these criteria restrict access to platinum/premium membership? Or will we not be able to apply for jobs or ask/answer Kudoz questions?

... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-30 21:32, KFF wrote:

Quality Assurance measures will not affect the site as it functions now. All the functions being given to platinum/premium/guest members will remain as is, as I understand, including jobs and asking/answering questions. The restrictions will be of a different nature having to do with professional quality control and are purely voluntary (for example, as things stand, no one raises serious objections to translations done by non-natives, and this will probably continue in certain contexts - but NOT within the quality program. The quality program, on the other hand, recognizes bilingualism, but the persons within it will be asked to declare the dominant language into which they can assure total quality. There will likewise be other restrictions.)

Quote:

... who\'s going to be doing the contolling.

A lot will largely depend on the members wanting to form part of the quality corps - we expect to see all types of qualifications, ranging from tests to MAs to travel/residence, certified years of experience, etc.. All the same, you will have to remember that this is a WEBSITE VENUE, so that the mechanisms put in place for this purpose will have to adapt to the medium we work in. In the last analysis, there are completely legal and valid ways of going about this.

Quote:

I enjoy using this site a lot, although I don\'t use the jobs facilities. As I think due to my lack of experience (will be gained, obviously, over the next few years) and a shortage of appropriate pieces of paper that I\'ll probably not count as professional, I\'d like to know how I\'ll be restricted in future please.

Your use of the site won\'t be restricted. As regards \"lack of experience\", we all started somewhere, and we all ended up somewhere, and we\'re all STILL MOVING AND GROWING. This is important in quality evaluation and will have its due place.

Collapse

Kay Fisher (X)
Kay Fisher (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the answers... Jan 31, 2003

You had me worried for a while ,-)

Kay

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional membership mentioned in newsletter - can you explain? (Mod:'done')

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »