Thread poster: John Rawlins
John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 18, 2007

I wonder if anyone has considered creating a section within Proz for the sale of second-hand software between members. Many Proz members must have software that they no longer use and may wish to sell. Between Proz members there is probably enough trust to make the idea easily workable.

I have bought a couple of used programs from Ebay, but there is little available on Ebay that is likely to interest translators.

Is this an interesting idea?

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Exchange Aug 18, 2007

Hi John,

First of all, please note that I have moved your topic to the forum Proz.com Suggestions.

About your query/suggestion, we have the Exchange section where members can put up ads for their second-hand software, among other things.

Regards,
Özden

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:47
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Exchange Aug 21, 2007

Hi John,

Özden is right, the Exchange is already in place for this kind of interactions. Special precautions may apply to the case of software to ensure that site features are used in line with copyright laws.

Regards,
Enrique

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for help on exchange Aug 21, 2007

Thanks Ozden and Enrique for steering me towards the Exchange - which I hadn't noticed before. In case there is any doubt, I would only ever consider buying or selling original software. It is unfortunately true that many, maybe even most, users are unaware that they can legally sell their unwanted software.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Second hand software bulletin board for Proz

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »