JustinZ
Thread poster: KathyT
KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:35
Japanese to English
Sep 4, 2007

Along with countless other ProZians, I was devastated to read the news about the tragic loss of Proz.com staff member, Justin, who had just turned 22.
Like many of you, I couldn't help but put aside thoughts of deadlines so that I could read through the pages and pages of words of condolence
... See more
Along with countless other ProZians, I was devastated to read the news about the tragic loss of Proz.com staff member, Justin, who had just turned 22.
Like many of you, I couldn't help but put aside thoughts of deadlines so that I could read through the pages and pages of words of condolence in this mega thread (currently more than 200 messages).

It's very clear that he touched many of us with his cheerful words and "can-do" attitude, whether in the technical support forums or privately, by email, in response to our many support tickets.

Well, I was just thinking that it would be nice to honor his memory in some way on the ProZ site so that we can keep him around, so to speak. I don't have any particularly well-formulated ideas, just a few random thoughts, such as:

* Rename BrowniZ or KudoZ "JustinZ," or
* Rename the Translation contests "the JustinZ," or
* "JustinZ," a points system for forum postings. There has often been discussion (both for and against) about some kind of way to acknowledge people that have been particularly helpful in the forums. We know that many people who are frequent posters in the forums do not necessarily participate in KudoZ, for whatever reason. There could be a little "thumbs up" icon (or similar) in the bottom of posts, such as those in Urban Dictionary (sorry! couldn't think of another example) or Amazon.com reviews (eg. "Was this review helpful?") that others could click on whenever they thought a particular posting was especially helpful, funny, heartwarming, or deserving for whatever reason. At the end of a given period of time, the ProZ user with the most "JustinZ" could be announced on the website, and perhaps Proz.com could make a nominal donation to Justin's nominated charity (if known) in that user's name, or present an award at a ProZ conference.....
* A "JustinZ" award to recognize the efforts of a particularly hard-working Moderator.

Well, as I said, these are just a few random thoughts.
It'd just be nice to have something, hopefully not too cheesy.

I'm sure others will have other suggestions and better ideas.
Thoughts, anyone?

Kathy.
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:05
German to English
Lovely ideas.... Sep 4, 2007

...., Kathy. I like the idea of awarding a moderator. Maybe it could be a moderator or a staff member, once a year. We could all vote on it.

Best regards,
Niraja

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:35
French to English
+ ...
good ideas Sep 4, 2007

Hi Kathy,
I think it's a wonderful idea to find a way to make his helpful and giving spirit live on through Proz.
Natalia

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Great ideas! Sep 4, 2007

KathyT wrote:
* A "JustinZ" award to recognize the efforts of a particularly hard-working Moderator.

All wonderful ideas, I must say that my favorite one is the award for a moderator or a site staff member.

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
Like it a lot Sep 4, 2007

I think that this is a splendid idea. I am especially in favor of the idea of once a year rewarding a moderator of staff member.

Justin himself was a staff member, so to me that makes a lot of sense.

Lucinda

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Award to moderators Sep 4, 2007

KathyT wrote:

I also like this suggestion, KathyT.

I think all the testimonials people have left in the thread about Justin's tragic death indicate that they were satisfied with the quality of his help and his friendly attitude.

So I think it would make perfect sense to create an award especially related to moderators who have particularly excelled in their performance and relationship with the rest of the Proz.com community, like Justin did. It would at least be a symbolic way of acknowledging/rewarding the time moderators devote to Proz.com on a volunteer basis.

Of course, this award could extend to staff, too, but I think since the staff team is rather small and some of them are more related to technical things, it may be more difficult to decide in this case.

But maybe it is too soon to think about this, since I am sure the staff is still in general in a state of shock. I guess we have plenty of time to reflect about this.

Good suggestions, anyway.

Best,

Ivette

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Great idea. Sep 4, 2007

Great idea, Kathy.

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
Good post... Sep 4, 2007

KathyT wrote:

I like this one, but they're all good ideas. Thanks for posting them.

Renate Reinartz
Renate Reinartz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
I second this Sep 4, 2007

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

KathyT wrote:

All wonderful ideas, I must say that my favorite one is the award for a moderator or a site staff member.

Great idea!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:35
SITE FOUNDER
Thank you, Kathy Sep 4, 2007

Great ideas, Kathy, thank you for posting. We will talk about it and try to do something fitting.

Nothing could be enough. He made all the difference here, he was the heart of our team and community.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
yes Sep 4, 2007

And, if I may say, I would like to see the condolence messages in each one languages.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 04:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another vote in favor Sep 4, 2007

Justin was indeed special and I'm all in favor of something permanent to keep his name before our eyes. If it had been someone else whom we had lost, Justin would have been my immediate nominee for the 1st staff/moderator honor.

Jane

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

JustinZ

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »