Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Disturbing "featured translator" images...
Thread poster: Andrew Levine
Andrew Levine
Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:28
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 4, 2007

Did anyone else see the same "featured translator" image I did on Proz's main page a few moments ago?

It was a rather horrifying animated .gif in which a computer user pounds at his keyboard until his arms are bloody red stumps, then bangs his head repeatedly until blood spurts from his skull, as his eyes dislodge from their sockets! It was not even cartoonish, just gory. This was an extremely disturbing image and I am surprised it was displayed near the top of the main page of Proz
... See more
Did anyone else see the same "featured translator" image I did on Proz's main page a few moments ago?

It was a rather horrifying animated .gif in which a computer user pounds at his keyboard until his arms are bloody red stumps, then bangs his head repeatedly until blood spurts from his skull, as his eyes dislodge from their sockets! It was not even cartoonish, just gory. This was an extremely disturbing image and I am surprised it was displayed near the top of the main page of Proz for several minutes. Mercifully, it is gone now. What sort of face does this present to the professional community?

I think that it should be a requirement that, in order to be featured on the main page, a translator's image should be a picture of him/herself or his/her company logo, or at the very least there should be some sort of moderator vetting to ensure that images like this are not displayed on Proz's main page.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?
Collapse

milinad
milinad  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:58
German to English
Featured translator Sep 4, 2007

I fully agree with Andrew. Only the translators who have posted their photographs should be displayed (selected) as 'featured translator'. There is no point showing other graphic images whether gory or not.

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 15:28
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Uhmmm....I actually found it funny Sep 4, 2007

and I can't really say that I found it horrifying or excessively gory (in a realistic sense). As a matter of fact, it made me laugh so much that I saved it on my desktop and sent it to a couple of friends.

However, I do understand where your "professional community" comment is coming from. I personally would say that this is, after all, the Internet, and a little humor is allowed, but I can perfectly understand why you would disagree.

What I do think, speaking from a
... See more
and I can't really say that I found it horrifying or excessively gory (in a realistic sense). As a matter of fact, it made me laugh so much that I saved it on my desktop and sent it to a couple of friends.

However, I do understand where your "professional community" comment is coming from. I personally would say that this is, after all, the Internet, and a little humor is allowed, but I can perfectly understand why you would disagree.

What I do think, speaking from a practical point of view, is that featured translator images are up for a very brief time and it really wouldn't make much sense to have someone monitoring them (or all profiles with an image) if there is no invading horde of mutilation-related GIFs taking over ProZ. In other words, I would say: take this one with a grain of salt. Or, if you find it too offensive, perhaps it would be a good solution to simply stay away from the main ProZ page for a few minutes.

But coming back to the "professional community" aspect - I would say that, as long as there are no invading hordes, we can rest assured that a single goblin isn't going to destroy the kingdom. And that I'm going to quit with the Dungeons & Dragons imagery right now.
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:28
Dutch to English
+ ...
I personally find photos boring Sep 4, 2007

But I am not calling for them to be banned. I have no interest in showing my picture or my logo on this site. I rather like my avatar and think it symbolises me to perfection.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 17:28
English to Russian
+ ...
No problem:-) Sep 4, 2007

I shall gladly give up the joy of being featured but I am not about to give up my cat:-)

This is neither a dating service nor a modeling agency to impose the above restrictions.

Vadim Pogulyaev
Vadim Pogulyaev  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:28
Member (2007)
English to Russian
hehe Sep 4, 2007

+1
I'm not giving up my wires either=)

[Edited at 2007-09-04 08:06]

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:28
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
"Disturbing" translator images Sep 4, 2007

Come on folks!

Lighten up.

Although I didn't see the image (unfortunately) I can't help but look at the featured translator. From my own experience, 99.9% of the time the pictures/logs are OK.

One out of thousands is surely not going to threaten the majority?

Liz Askew

p.s. I don't have a logo or photo; just haven't got round to it!
Too busy answering queries.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
no censorship please Sep 4, 2007

IreneN wrote:

This is neither a dating service nor a modeling agency to impose the above restrictions.

I totally agree with Irene. Every translator should be free to offer the image of their choice - or no image at all - it's no criterion for being featured.

Francesca Pesce
Francesca Pesce  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
I find it really funny/ironic Sep 4, 2007

I am quite familiar with that animation and I find it quite amusing. I think it would help us in our lives to laugh at ourselves a bit more...

And obviously everyone should be free to choose whatever image (within certain limits) one wants. In this case I find nothing disturbing at all.

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Have the same image Sep 4, 2007

on my MSN list of smileys. I use it as a joke sometimes - to writer/translator friends.
However, I was a bit astonished that someone would actually pick that one as their "image" on proz.com.
Wold YOU hire a translator like that?

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Photo/logo as a marketing tool Sep 4, 2007

I think that any translator, either on ProZ or somewhere else where you can upload photos, logos etc. to a profile, ill have to decide himself/herself what is good marketing.

Starting to censoring pictures here on ProZ would not only be a real waste of energy, it will probably also bear the risk of a denunciation campaign against anyone. "Hey ProZ Staff! I found this logo on xxx's profile and I don't like it. Can you remove it?". Ever read George Orwell?

I don't want t
... See more
I think that any translator, either on ProZ or somewhere else where you can upload photos, logos etc. to a profile, ill have to decide himself/herself what is good marketing.

Starting to censoring pictures here on ProZ would not only be a real waste of energy, it will probably also bear the risk of a denunciation campaign against anyone. "Hey ProZ Staff! I found this logo on xxx's profile and I don't like it. Can you remove it?". Ever read George Orwell?

I don't want to say that I agree with all profile photos or logos (there are even some scary photos around where the face made me think of drug addicts), but I think it's up to you to decide what's good or not for your business.

Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2007-09-04 09:19]
Collapse

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, a marketing tool, but.... Sep 4, 2007

Erik Hansson wrote:

I think that any translator, either on ProZ or somewhere else where you can upload photos, logos etc. to a profile, (w)ill have to decide himself/herself what is good marketing.

I don't want to say that I agree with all profile photos or logos (there are even some scary photos around where the face made me think of drug addicts), but I think it's up to you to decide what's good or not for your business.

Erik

Erik, I agree with most of your statement above (except the drug addict part, because I find it hard to deduce a drug addiction from just a picture).

However, I have often wondered if any potential customer really considers a picture/photo in order to select you as a translator.

I find this very "shaky" territory, because we could have a number of prejudices or pre-conceived ideas (both positive and/or negative) about someone in particular when looking at their photo, so I think this could be a catch-22 situation.

Of course, I also agree that some pictures or avatars are maybe a bit "scary", but, as we have just read in some of the previous replies, "scary", like all terms, is a subjective idea.

I just hope that if any potential outsourcer looks at my profile and sees my cat, they at least acknowledge both the humor part of it and the explanation I include in my profile about this, to see that I am just not a translation robot, but a person with different characteristics besides my translation expertise.

Best,

Ivette

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:28
French to English
Depends on job Sep 4, 2007

Hilde Granlund wrote:

Would YOU hire a translator like that?

Didn't see the featured translator, have seen the image (if it's the one I think it is) a thousand times. I find it amusing. Or did, the first 400 times I saw it. Which is, to my mind, one drawback of using a "quirky" image - the novelty soon wears off.

I digress - I might not put that translator top of the pile for a statement from the Chairman about future prospects. I might to translate a video game.

As you can tell, I have played safe - no image - no-one is deterred, but then no-one is attracted either. It can work both ways, I imagine. But one significant advantage of allowing images that are not of the person that is sometimes overlooked is that it rules out any discrimination, be it racial, sexual or any other kind.

(Although obviously, having a picture of a cat makes it clear you're female ! )

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Gotcha! Sep 4, 2007

Charlie Bavington wrote:

(Although obviously, having a picture of a cat makes it clear you're female ! )

How about Gianfranco's???

See http://www.proz.com/profile/12340

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:28
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
My picture... Sep 4, 2007

... is clearly a tomcat, no doubt

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disturbing "featured translator" images...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »