Mobile menu

Suggestion: rank translators by KudoZ in pair *and field* (subject line edited by staff)
Thread poster: Sven Petersson

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:20
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 6, 2003

Many buyers of translation services believe that the quantity KudoZ points a translator has earned is a relevant indicator of the translator’s ability to provide a good translation.

Let’s not discuss if they are right.

The customer is always right!

I suggest that ProZ, under the link “Pros & agencies”, should rank the translators according to KudoZ points earned, given language combination (Source language/Target language) AND “Field”.

Please help our customers to find the translator who they think is right for the job!

Sven.

[ This Message was edited byn2003-02-06 09:43]

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:20
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
It can be done in KudoZ leaders Feb 6, 2003

What you rightly suggest can be done already in \"KudoZ leaders\".

Currently the \"Pros & Agencies\" uses the \"Filed\" only to filter the listed members, but not to sort them.

Gianfranco

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I don't understand your question Feb 6, 2003

I don\'t understand your question: when you run a search on \"Pros and agencies\", you specify a language pair and the translators are actually ranked by KudoZ points earned in that specific language pair. You can filter the results by specifying a \"Field\".

How would you *rank* translators by Field? Medical is above Technical? Legal above Business? Or what do you mean? Most translators anyway translate in a number of fields, not just one.

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
”KudoZ leaders” is not the natural route for buyers of translation services, ”Find/Contact Pros” is Feb 6, 2003

Dear Gianfranco,

We are in full agreement about the current situation, but ”KudoZ leaders” is not the natural route for buyers of translation services, ”Find / Contact Pros” is. That’s why I suggest that the same feature that is available under ” KudoZ leaders” should be made available under ”Find / Contact Pros”.

Sven.

[ This Message was edited byn2003-02-06 12:20]

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-06 12:21]

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have no question. I made a suggestion. Feb 6, 2003

Dear Csaba,

Explanation by example:

If a potential customer runs a search on “Find / Contact Pros”, “Pros & Agencies”, English > Swedish, “Bus/Financial”, then he should end up with a list of English > Swedish translators ranked according to their KudoZ points from English > Swedish in the field of “Bus/Financial” and not according to their KudoZ points from English > Swedish in all fields (Any Field).

Does that make it clearer?

Sven.

[ This Message was edited byn2003-02-06 10:59]

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-06 11:01]

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
Potential Customers Feb 6, 2003

Sven wrote:

If a potential customer runs a search on “Find / Contact Pros”, “Pros & Agencies”, English > Swedish, “Bus/Financial”, then he should end up with a list of English > Swedish translators ranked according to their KudoZ points from English > Swedish in the field of “Bus/Financial” and not according to their KudoZ points from English > Swedish in all fields (Any Field).

But Sven Csaba is right. It works how you suggested it should work. I just checked in my language pair and I do not even appear in the list when the field is medical which is correct since this is not my core area of expertise!

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Faulty test! Feb 6, 2003

Dear Marijke,

No, it does not work as I suggest. Please try English > Swedish and work your way through the 9 alternatives for ”Field”! You will find that no matter which field you have chosen you’ll end up with the same translator list, always ordered according to total KudoZ points earned in English to Swedish.

The reason for that you do not appear when the field ”Medical” is chosen is that you have not claimed expertise in ”Medical”!

Sven.

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Now I got your point Feb 6, 2003

Quote:

in the field of “Bus/Financial” and not according to their KudoZ points from English > Swedish in all fields (Any Field).

Now I understand. Your point is absolutely valid and it is a very good idea.

Csaba

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
I get your point too! Feb 6, 2003

I do think it is a valid suggestion, however, I do not think it would be easy to implement. Another point to remember is that you might only answer all the technical questions because they are dead easy for you, but you might be equally good in another area, so, is it that important? Maybe we should be suggesting that people are more honest about their area of expertise? Or even make these areas less general.

Just putting the cat among the pigeons. Please don\'t shoot the messenger!

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 19:20
SITE FOUNDER
A good suggestion Feb 6, 2003

Thanks, Sven, it is a good suggestion and something we have considered. There are a few complications that have prevented us from doing it so far. But we plan to.

Henry

lagunali
Local time: 17:20
Turkish to English
+ ...
searching pros by state and/or counrty Feb 10, 2003

How about searching pros by \"state and/or country\". Is it possible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: rank translators by KudoZ in pair *and field* (subject line edited by staff)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs