International Payment Tutorials
Thread poster: mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:00
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 27, 2007

I'm here to suggest what to me is the thing lacking the most here at Proz and actually at the entire web.

There has to be a page detailing to freelancers and agencies exactly how to proceed to make and receive international payments, with specifics for each country.

Also agencies have to be educated as to facts such as the almost total uselessness of Paypal for people outside the developed world, so we don't have to tell them to use other services such as Western Union,, Moneybookers and Moneygram.

I can help provide with information but I'm just finding out these things.

Thank you for your attention!!

Direct link Reply with quote
shaowe luo  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:00
English to Chinese
it's good to see your suggest Sep 27, 2007

give some examples or show the proceedure.
It would be helpful.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:00
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Good idea Sep 27, 2007

mopc wrote:
There has to be a page detailing to freelancers and agencies exactly how to proceed to make and receive international payments, with specifics for each country.

This is a good idea. One can involve ordinary ProZians to submit information for their countries.

Suzette Martin-Johnson
French to English
+ ...
Good idea Sep 27, 2007

The first comment would be: avoid Paypal if you live in practically any developing country.

mopc, I've been watching your struggles with this for a few weeks now.

Another area could be tips on how to be more assertive and persuasive with agencies about how you get paid. I just finished lecturing a PM about her agency having only two payment methods: Paypal and US check.

Some of them need to get on a plane and travel to realize there's a whole new world out there!

However, there is a very real risk they may not contact me again!!

Alireza Karbalaei
Local time: 08:30
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
It's a MUST now! Sep 28, 2007

Thank you very much indeed for this very good and useful suggestion. From now on we Iranians should add also Moneybookers to "the almost useless" list because of the unreasonable and unfair restrictions it's started to impose against us.
This is from their announcement to Iranian users:
"Due to processing restrictions from our Bank, we will NO LONGER be able to process withdrawals to Iranian bank accounts from Friday 28th September, 2007."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

International Payment Tutorials

Advanced search

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs