mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:25
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 27, 2007

Hi

I'm here to suggest what to me is the thing lacking the most here at Proz and actually at the entire web.

There has to be a page detailing to freelancers and agencies exactly how to proceed to make and receive international payments, with specifics for each country.

Also agencies have to be educated as to facts such as the almost total uselessness of Paypal for people outside the developed world, so we don't have to tell them to use other services such
... See more
Hi

I'm here to suggest what to me is the thing lacking the most here at Proz and actually at the entire web.

There has to be a page detailing to freelancers and agencies exactly how to proceed to make and receive international payments, with specifics for each country.

Also agencies have to be educated as to facts such as the almost total uselessness of Paypal for people outside the developed world, so we don't have to tell them to use other services such as Western Union, Xoom.com, Moneybookers and Moneygram.

I can help provide with information but I'm just finding out these things.

Thank you for your attention!!
Collapse

shaowe luo
shaowe luo  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:25
English to Chinese
it's good to see your suggest Sep 27, 2007

give some examples or show the proceedure.
It would be helpful.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:25
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Good idea Sep 27, 2007

mopc wrote:

This is a good idea. One can involve ordinary ProZians to submit information for their countries.

islander1974
islander1974
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Good idea Sep 27, 2007

The first comment would be: avoid Paypal if you live in practically any developing country.

mopc, I've been watching your struggles with this for a few weeks now.

Another area could be tips on how to be more assertive and persuasive with agencies about how you get paid. I just finished lecturing a PM about her agency having only two payment methods: Paypal and US check.

Some of them need to get on a plane and travel to realize there's a whole new world o
... See more
The first comment would be: avoid Paypal if you live in practically any developing country.

mopc, I've been watching your struggles with this for a few weeks now.

Another area could be tips on how to be more assertive and persuasive with agencies about how you get paid. I just finished lecturing a PM about her agency having only two payment methods: Paypal and US check.

Some of them need to get on a plane and travel to realize there's a whole new world out there!

However, there is a very real risk they may not contact me again!!

Sigh.
Collapse

Alireza Karbalaei
Alireza Karbalaei
Iran
Local time: 20:55
English to Persian (Farsi)
It's a MUST now! Sep 28, 2007

Thank you very much indeed for this very good and useful suggestion. From now on we Iranians should add also Moneybookers to "the almost useless" list because of the unreasonable and unfair restrictions it's started to impose against us.
This is from their announcement to Iranian users:
"Due to processing restrictions from our Bank, we will NO LONGER be able to process withdrawals to Iranian bank accounts from Friday 28th September, 2007."

Best

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

International Payment Tutorials

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »