Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:57
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2007

Do other users feel it would be useful to have the main US and other time zones displayed somewhere? I just looked at an urgent job requesting delivery by midnight US Central time. Being a European citizen, I haven't a clue what the time difference is. I know there are sites on the internet with this information but this was an urgent job - not really the time to start searching the web!

Talking about time zones, France is in the same time zone as the UK, technically on GMT. But
... See more
Do other users feel it would be useful to have the main US and other time zones displayed somewhere? I just looked at an urgent job requesting delivery by midnight US Central time. Being a European citizen, I haven't a clue what the time difference is. I know there are sites on the internet with this information but this was an urgent job - not really the time to start searching the web!

Talking about time zones, France is in the same time zone as the UK, technically on GMT. But we're one hour ahead of the UK, who are themselves one hour ahead of GMT during the summer, owing to human tinkering with the daylight hours.

What should I have in my profile? Should I stay with GMT, or should I flip-flop between GMT+1 and GMT+2?

Do other countries mess around with time in the same way, and if so, which ones?

I feel we all need to be really clear on this issue, and perhaps the Proz site could help - and, yes, I have seen the current GMT time on the jobs screen and find it very useful, thank you.
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:57
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Very useful Oct 2, 2007

Dear Sheila,

I find your suggestion very useful, and it could go in the Tools menu.

I would like to see it implemented in such a way that the members can notify the site of summer/winter time changes, and the site would take the changes on board, automatically, from user's input, without having to worry about following and updating all official time changes in all countries.

When the time changes, once N trusted members (for example, 3 members with
... See more
Dear Sheila,

I find your suggestion very useful, and it could go in the Tools menu.

I would like to see it implemented in such a way that the members can notify the site of summer/winter time changes, and the site would take the changes on board, automatically, from user's input, without having to worry about following and updating all official time changes in all countries.

When the time changes, once N trusted members (for example, 3 members with VID) set a different time, the site assumes that they know about it and changes the time displayed.
The whole page would be, using this technique, a simple list of all countries and the time will be set and updated by the members.

---

Another possible improvement could be a customized view, highlighting a small number of all those times.
Each of us would be interested, amongst the 2-300 possible countries and 24 times zones, only in a very restricted number of them.

If we could select our lot, for example 3-5-8 countries or major cities, and see them on top of the screen, we would not need to scan visually the other 300 countries. They could be there, below, for reference, but the information we seek habitually would be immediately visible, selected and on top, or shown somehow with a convenient evidence.

---

I also agree that it could be reflected in the profiles, according to the country, and updated as described above.

bye
Gianfranco
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:57
Spanish
+ ...
FoxClocks Oct 2, 2007

Hello Sheila,

If you use Firefox, FoxClocks is a must.

FoxClocks is an extension that displays various time zones at the bottom of your screen, you can customize them also. For instance, I have set the time zones I currently need, but I have also configured them to show different colors based on my parameters, i.e. blue for office hours, gray for non-office hours.

Regards,

Claudia

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:57
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Full support Oct 2, 2007

I'm too have experienced that problem. It sure would help to have a link to something like

http://www.timeanddate.com/ on jobs page?

(And maybe other pages too- as we are a World wide community and knowing the time in other parts of the World sometimes is important not only in relation to jobs postings). Or maybe some more simple and elegant solution can be employed? (I see, say, a
... See more
I'm too have experienced that problem. It sure would help to have a link to something like

http://www.timeanddate.com/ on jobs page?

(And maybe other pages too- as we are a World wide community and knowing the time in other parts of the World sometimes is important not only in relation to jobs postings). Or maybe some more simple and elegant solution can be employed? (I see, say, a small toolbar like table showing time around the Globe, from 00 hours to 23 hours).

Uldis
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:57
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Oct 2, 2007

How about a tiny icon in the frontpage of this site? Once clicked, it could display a world map showing us the sunlight or night covered areas. That's an easy way to determine if our clients are working or sleeping or....

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:57
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Good idea! Oct 2, 2007

Thanks Sheila for a great idea and for supporting the site.

I have tagged your suggestion in the site's to-dos list.

Kind regards,
Enrique

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Foxclock works Oct 3, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Hello Sheila,

If you use Firefox, FoxClocks is a must.

FoxClocks is an extension that displays various time zones at the bottom of your screen, you can customize them also. For instance, I have set the time zones I currently need, but I have also configured them to show different colors based on my parameters, i.e. blue for office hours, gray for non-office hours.

Regards,

Claudia

It does not require any additional space but resides on the lower window bar of the browser. So it is better than a dedicated function in Proz.
I really don't need it, but it is a nice feature.

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:57
French to English
Agree with Heinrich Oct 3, 2007

Thanks Claudia! I didn't know about Foxclocks, but have now installed it and it saves me having to visit worldtimeserver constantly... especially useful at this time of year when people are putting their clocks forward or back!

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:57
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Have just downloaded the FoxClocks add-on Oct 3, 2007

..and it is just about perfect! That's exactly what I needed! Thank you guys for the advice!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:57
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the responses to my post Oct 3, 2007

Thanks especially to Claudia for the FoxClocks info - I haven't had time to install it yet, but it looks good and has obviously pleased a lot of other people.

Gianfranco has made some interesting suggestions for ways of showing the times on the site, and I think they would make a nice community feature.

I haven't been a Proz user for long, and a full member for only a short while, but already I've seen it get better and better. It really seems as though people are clos
... See more
Thanks especially to Claudia for the FoxClocks info - I haven't had time to install it yet, but it looks good and has obviously pleased a lot of other people.

Gianfranco has made some interesting suggestions for ways of showing the times on the site, and I think they would make a nice community feature.

I haven't been a Proz user for long, and a full member for only a short while, but already I've seen it get better and better. It really seems as though people are close, even though we're spread right round the globe - another reason for those clocks: reminding us that when we ask a question in the morning, answerers may be yawning into their bedtime cocoa!
Collapse

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:57
Japanese to English
@Claudia Oct 6, 2007

What's the name of the Firefox theme you are using?
I've been a happy user of Pimpzilla for some time, but it's time for a change and I very much like the look of your screenshot
Cheers, Kathy.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:57
Spanish
+ ...
Nautipolis Oct 6, 2007

KathyT wrote:

What's the name of the Firefox theme you are using?
I've been a happy user of Pimpzilla for some time, but it's time for a change and I very much like the look of your screenshot
Cheers, Kathy.

Hi Kathy, the theme is Nautipolis for Firefox

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: Display of major time zones

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »