Mobile menu

Use of GMT & People picking wrong answers (Mod:'done')
Thread poster: Luis Orueta

Luis Orueta
Local time: 06:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 13, 2003

The use of GMT time, I think, should be advertised when filling in your profile or should be posted somewhere visible in the website. If it is already, sorry but I have not seen it and therefore means I am careless and / or it is not well advertised.

I was having a hard time thinking I needed to refresh my ProZ web page every now and again because, living in Spain, I was getting all translation help requests with such a time gap (1 hour, that is).

My fricking line in Madrid (gentileza de la peor compañía del mundo, Telefónica) has problems supporting ADSL. I have tried 4 different suppliers and none work. (Any suggestions anyone?) So I thought my ordinary, prehistoric connection was causing this lag. It has taken me 4 days to find out or so.

So I think that might be of help.

Also, I am a new member and have limited experience. By the way, thanks for your help Parrot. I have noticed, nonetheless, that a few people have chosen wrong answers or suggestions to their pro or easy help-requested postings. Vanity barred, one or two were my suggestions, but most were other people\'s.

I know that I can email that person and let them know that they made a mistake and explain why. But as we all know, business-wise translation is often about speed work and deliveries. So sometimes it might be just too late to advise them. Or there\'s time but you don\'t get around to reviewing all answers.

To cut the story short... this is not a criticism. For all out there, and thinking of myself in the future, is there any way / method to reduce this sort of thing to a halt or the bare minimum? I have seen that there are moderators... they could be of help. Maybe it is also a question of asking for their help more often (I dunno if this is done, seldom done, often done...) Any suggestions here?

Oh, yeah, finally, I was going to propose that KudoZ managers somehow look into this or supervise it... but I just realized that it is just a bad translation of top kudoz point earners into Spanish. Dirigentes (vene if in some arcane definition it does fit here) makes you think right off the bat in managers. I just thought it was scorekeeping for the founders or top managers of the web. Maybe it should be changed for Líderes en puntuación, líderes en KudoZ o puntos KudoZ as it says once you click on More... I guess the best one for me would be a plain MARCADOR (DE PUNTOS)KUDOZ O KUDOZ MARCADOR, which would bar the feeling of literal translation that it now has. I think all would agree that this is precisely what we are not aiming for as translators.

I am absolutely adoring this association and its purpose. I gave myself a week\'s trial period. I am going for Platinum and have already spread the word to all other translators I know. Thanks guys and gals out there. It\'s truly a learning experience.

Luis Orueta

Judge to include

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 19:02]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Welcome to Feb 14, 2003

Hi Luis,

Information regarding UTC/GMT time is in FAQ 20.8 (click on

Regarding incorrect KudoZ answers: while this is probably inevitable given the large number of participants and questions, correcting this (particularly where a glossary entry is concerned) is part of a moderator\'s \"job\" (all moderators are volunteers). Rest assured that moderators themselves are on the lookout for incorrect entries, but since all of us also have a business to run, we can\'t see everything. You will find a link to the moderator(s) for the language pair concerned at the end of each KudoZ question.

Best regards, Ralf

English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you tried ONO? Feb 14, 2003

Luis, me temo que no debemos hacer publicidad en el foro pero, como respuesta a tu pregunta del servidor, a mí ONO banda ancha me funciona muy bien, rara vez tiene problemas técnicos (coincidiendo con mis conexiones 3 veces en 2 años y rápidamente resueltos). No he probado otros servidores aparte de Telefónica, de forma que no puedo ser crítica, quizá Telefónica ADSL sea la bomba pero no lo sé.

Luis Orueta
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Ralf / Ana Feb 17, 2003

Yeah, RALF, I just checked the FAQs. Thanks for pointing out the exact location. Most helpful. I still think it could be advised (it is truly very short, something lile GSM standard time used in this site) somewhere more visible. One of the particularities of this site, I believe, is that you get so caught up in helping out with the postings so fast that you forget to so some background work. So my fault.

As for the wrong answers, I posted a correct translation to a term the other day, but it was probably not the most adequate within the context. Then I found out that the person who posted the question selected my answer as most valuable. I was talking to another ProZ translator the other day. She advised that the best idea was to email the person that posted the question as the main concern should be letting that person know regarding his/her translation work. Then, it would be a good idea to also contact the moderator, as you recommend, to explain your point of view. That maybe has an impact on the glossary via entering different definitions for one same term. I have tried the glossary a few times and I have had mixed feelings about it. Although many entries are great, some of them are right out incorrect.

As you say, all of us have business to run, but I tell you some people have super powers. They can manage to do work and post answers and peer comments to a large array of postings. I am dumbfounded, really.

Anyway, when I have some time tonight, I will surf a little more tghrought he site to get accquainted with other aspects fo the website.

Thanks for your reply

Muchas gtracias por la recomendación. Creo que ONO es cable, como Madritel. Tenía a un amigo trabajando para ellos. La cuestión es que en muchas áreas de la ciudad todavía no han hecho las instalaciones necesarias, ésta siendo una de ellas.

Dentro de poco nos mudamos al puro centro de Madrid. Ahí probaré con las líneas de nuevo y veré si esa zona sí que está cubierta por los proveedores de cable.

Pero mil gracias por la recomendación y tu preocupación.

Oye, ¿no te parece que la traducción del sitio al español suena bastantes veces como traducciones literales del inglés? A mí hay muchas cosas que me suenan raro. A lo mejor podríamos hacer un esfuerzo los hispanoparlantes para enviarle a los moderadores una recomendación de cambios cada vez que veamos algo rarillo.

Gracias de nuevo y nos vemos por la web. Ciao

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of GMT & People picking wrong answers (Mod:'done')

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs