Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: A traveling network for ProZ.com members (E)
Thread poster: Csaba Ban

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 21:12
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feb 20, 2003

Translators, as we all know, are a unique breed. By definition, we are open to at least two cultures, and often many more. We also tend to be more curious to cultures that we do not know so well: so we tend to travel with eyes wider open than simple holidaymakers.

For me at least, and I am sure for many other ProZizens as well, travelling is as natural as breathing. When I am on the road, I utilise my five senses to full capacity: I see more, hear more and taste more than an average tourist on an average weekend break (altough I probably touch artifacts less often).

Yet, by far the largest joy of travelling comes by means of personal interaction, aka \"talking\", i.e. to local people. To hear their stories about that first date on this corner two decades ago, to let them lead us to that little alley where their grandfather used to run a hardware shop, or to hear an insider\'s analysis on the most recent political scandal.

There are some organisations out there that pair up travellers and local hosts, like Servas, or that allows people to share their travelling experience online, like VirtualTourist, but none of these have yet met my expectations. I (and probably many other ProZizens) would like meet people who are at home in their cities, yet they are like-minded and open to the world to the same extent as I am. By a fortunate coincidence, ProZizens (or ProZZers?) also have the natural advantage of speaking several tongues, making communication even easier.

If indeed there are other ProZizens interested in setting up an informal network (in fact, the network itself already exist, we should only add a new feature), we could meet up with other people and have an insight into their cities\' lives the next time we travel to Firenze, Liege/Luik/Lüttich, or even Buenos Aires.

Anyone interested?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 18:49]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sandra Baptista  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:12
Partial member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I think it's a great idea! Feb 20, 2003

I\'m a travel addicted, now heading in April for several months to India.

Let me know more details.

Cheers!

Sandra

Renassans LS
German to Swedish
+ ...
Great idea Feb 20, 2003

A great idea!

I\'d be up for something like that.

Reminds me of a guy who was all over the news a few years ago. You might remember him. He set up a web page and asked people to give him a stay at their place (hmm...I recall there being another twist to this - I just can\'t remember exactly what ). He was then able to travel the world, visiting the people that had been on his webpage.

Anyway - here\'s a representative in Sweden.

Jonas

Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
first feedback Feb 20, 2003

Thank you for the first comments. Perhaps, if there are a dozen or so people interested, we could convince ProZ.com staff to set up a dedicated forum for this purpose and discuss details there.

Sandra: it\'s going to be sweltering hot in India after April, not to mention the onset of the monsoon. Perhaps you should head up to Himachal Pradesh to escape the heat.

I have had quite a bit of travelling in the past ten years, but now, in the short run at least, it\'s highly unlikely that I would venture to anywhere exotic due to family reasons. In the medium and long run, however, I will hit the tarmac again

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Great idea indeed! Feb 20, 2003

Dear all (and Henry),

I see it clearly: A map of Europe (North/South America, Middle East, South Asia, Far East, Australia) under the heading:

THE WORLD OF PROZ

Every city, municipality, village or even cottage housing a ProZian will be market by a red spot and when you let the cursor stop over it a box pos up with a list of the the ProZians, who live there (at Träsk, the list will be short).

I have tecnical suggestions how to do it economically.

Thus, we could get an overview about travel and networking possibilities.

Yesterday we had a newbie visiting us and it was really a positive experience. We learned a lot and hopefully he as well.

Living in some sort of isolation, it\'s very refreshing for us to meet a colleague every now and then.

BR

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe

http://www.MatsWiman.com

http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com

http://www.proz.com/translator/1749 Deu>swe Proz.com moderator

eMail: MatsWiman@swipnet.se

Träsk 201

SE-872 97 Skog

Tel : +46-612-54112

Fax : +46-612-54181

Mobile: +46-70-5769797

xxxarbeit
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feb 20, 2003

Come on Henry do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrea Torre  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
French to Spanish
+ ...
That sounds great ! Feb 20, 2003

I strongly support your idea !

Count on me for anything.

Andrea

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting... Feb 20, 2003

Let us see how it develops...

JL

pidzej  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Great plan! Feb 20, 2003

A PropoZ. I for one will be setting my foot in CHC at 5 pm on March 13. Any ProZians there?

Andrei Albu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 22:12
English to Romanian
+ ...
It sounds fantastic! Feb 20, 2003

Henry should agree to setting up this feature, it sounds fantastic indeed! You have all the support from Romania - and not only mine, I am sure.

Look forward to seeing it come true.

Andrei

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-20 14:51]

Sanjay Ray  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:42
Member (2002)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Great Idea! Feb 20, 2003

I support this great idea. Please consider me for any jobs required.

Ray

New Delhi

India

Jacek Krankowski  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Subject to... Feb 20, 2003

I recently set out the ground rules for my guest room in what ended as a heated discussion on the Translator Coop Forum. To avoid suffering any further consequences of this sort of incompatibility or controversy some of us prefer to keep their address or even location confidential. So, yes to the idea itself, but some of those who only disclosed their details to ProZ.com may prefer not to be included on the ProZ map.

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Yes, please! Feb 20, 2003

Please implement it Henry, please!

Sven.

Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the support Feb 20, 2003

Thank you for the \"outpouring\" support of this idea. As to what Jacek wrote: it is obvious that any details would be made public with the given person\'s explicit consent.

And, if this network will ever materialise, there should always be an opt-in/opt-out possibility.

Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:12
English to Spanish
Sure! Feb 20, 2003

I think it\'s a great idea, and in fact a great way to complement Evert\'s house-swapping proposal (http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=22455#22455). And Csaba, if you\'re really sure you\'re up to visiting Buenos Aires, you\'re most welcome here, like all other Prozies...

Andrea

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A traveling network for ProZ.com members (E)

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs