Off topic: Proz.com finally switching colors?
Thread poster: Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:47
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 21, 2007

I have noticed the color combination for the membership campaign on top of this page. I like it. I prefer those colors to the current ones. They are livelier, in my opinion. Just my personal point of view.

Regards,

Elías

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:47
English to Spanish
I must be color blind Nov 21, 2007

I see the usual dull shades of green, dark blue green, olive green, light olive green, less light olive green... you get the idea.

Ahhh! The campaign frame with the ladybug. Pretty! (It is not permanently displayed, that is why I missed it.)

[Edited at 2007-11-21 15:57]

Chiara Righele
Chiara Righele  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:47
English to Italian
+ ...
I like the current colours Nov 21, 2007

I mean, they're not very lively, so to say, but at least they don't strain the eyes as some sites do
That's why I like them

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:47
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Current Nov 21, 2007

I prefer the current colours as they don't assault my eyes.

The frontpage has a lot of info, too many! I think it should be modified in order not to squash first-time visitors.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's probably subliminal Nov 21, 2007

Elías Sauza wrote:

I prefer those colors to the current ones. They are livelier, in my opinion. Just my personal point of view.

It's probably because those colours are reminiscent of the default colours that have been churned out by Microsoft since ... well since Windows 3.1 at least! You like what's familiar, that's all there is to it.

Personally I find the current colour scheme on Proz.com a refreshing change from the brash HitYouInTheEye stuff we see on many websites.

MediaMatrix

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:47
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Colors Nov 21, 2007

Id have to agree with Elias - colors of the new compaign are more lively and Id seriously prefer them to the current color scheme of the site.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Conflicting interests. Nov 21, 2007

Yaotl Altan wrote:

The frontpage has a lot of info, too many! I think it should be modified in order not to squash first-time visitors.

I agree on both points, but you bring up an important issue that may be impossible to resolve.

I've visited ProZ almost daily for over three years. I don't need pretty colors to attract me here, and I like all the familiar information on the home page.

On the other hand, my students do find the site confusing, even overwhelming, and not particularly attractive. Some have told me they wouldn't have continued without my encouragement.

Anyone have any bright ideas for a "happy medium" to please both new and long-time (not old, thank you!) users?

Disclaimer: I do, indeed, recommend ProZ, especially KudoZ, to my translation students, and allow them to post homework questions (properly identified), because Internet Q & A sites are part of a translator's toolkit. I do, however, warn them about evaluating their sources, whether found on ProZ, on Google, or in print. I always tell them not to assume an answer is right just because someone posted it and a dozen others agreed! So, let's please not sidetrack this forum into that sort of discussion.

[Edited at 2007-11-21 18:02]

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:47
Spanish
+ ...
Ditto Nov 21, 2007

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Some web sites have very bright colors which can be very distracting and even annoying. I like Proz's current color combination. Besides, IMHO, I think it attracts the right kind of people: professionals and people that take the translation business seriously, not just the occasional visitor who wants a free translation.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Don't change the colours! Nov 21, 2007

I have said this before: Please don't change the colours! This site has one of the most eye-friendly schemes in the web. Flashy colours will only lead to eye strain and, generally, a non-professional look.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-11-22 09:57]

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:47
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Really? Nov 21, 2007

Elías Sauza wrote:

I have noticed the color combination for the membership campaign on top of this page. I like it. I prefer those colors to the current ones. They are livelier, in my opinion. Just my personal point of view.

Regards,

Elías

Hi Elias

I guess you are referring to:

It looks good. It's an ad and it's also a good ad, because it stands out from the background. Ads are supposed to catch your attention.

But in terms of the Proz "GUI" I personally think we should we stick with it.

Why?

1. Branding. Branding should remain consistent in order to be effective (remember - your customers also use this site).

2. The site has just been redesigned. maintaining the old colours. Branding - neatly updated!

3. Sit back and look at those colours. "Eye candy?" Would you want the whole site to be as lurid as that? I wouldn't.

That's my take

Cheers
Chris

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Agree with the above Nov 22, 2007

While it definitely looks very cool, I don't think that the site would look so cool if the colour scheme was all over the place. That is a veeeery hot blue (that's probably why many of us like the banner) and I personally think it would hurt my eyes if it was extended to the rest of the site.

But it is very neat also, and maybe this colour should be used time after time for elements of the site that need to catch our attention. I can see this colour scheme used for the translation c
... See more
While it definitely looks very cool, I don't think that the site would look so cool if the colour scheme was all over the place. That is a veeeery hot blue (that's probably why many of us like the banner) and I personally think it would hurt my eyes if it was extended to the rest of the site.

But it is very neat also, and maybe this colour should be used time after time for elements of the site that need to catch our attention. I can see this colour scheme used for the translation contest, for example.

Yes, I know, some of us are bored with the usual palette, but that is exactly the point. We are not supposed to notice it - it should only complement site content, nothing more. If it was livelier, I am sure we wouldn't be able to pay as much attention to content as is the case presently. They are not my favorite colours - but neither are we discussing tapestry or upholstery, elements of decor people tend to change once in a while. Besides, it makes many of us feel safe to have a calm, toned down atmosphere on the site - at least as far as colours are concerned...

All the best!
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:47
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
And look like MySpace? Why? Nov 22, 2007

Boring or not - it's unique. That's what I call branding.

N.

Nicoletta F (X)
Nicoletta F (X)
English to Italian
Subliminal matchings Nov 22, 2007

You brought me to notice that I've recently changed the usual blue-white Windows theme into the more relaxing green-yellowsand option...
My eyes are still saying 'thanks'...
Maybe I like the actual Proz colours for the same reason??

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz.com finally switching colors?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »