Can we have an extra e-mail option setting, please?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:57
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2007

With increasing regularity I receive unwanted and unbusinesslike correspondence from the general public through my profile. Of course, the ideal thing would be to have a way of preventing it, which is what I am about to suggest.

I have long been mystified by this phenomenon, since for a long time I have had the option ticked in my profile under "e-mail settings" to "allow only logged-in ProZ.com members to send me mail via my profile page". Now I finally understand: this is the only place on the entire site where ProZ.com uses the elevated term "members" to refer to non-paying site users. In all other parts of the site an extraordinarily strict distinction is made between the two: i.e. between paying ProZ.com members and non-paying site users.

It is to my utter detriment that this particular place in the site has its terminology defined somewhat differently. For, as a result of this plain misfortune, any member of the public on the entire globe can create a "member?" profile within three seconds flat and then target me, through my profile, with their scams or other unbusinesslike correspondence. And the sad fact is that I can do absolutely nothing about it, because I have ticked the box to allow "logged-in members" to contact me via my profile. Logged-in members? Logged-in users? I am utterly confused regarding the point.

Now don't get me wrong: it simply isn't true that I do not wish to be accessible via e-mail to authentic non-paying colleagues. However, I am sick and tired of having this open door to the world of scams and spam, and having NO alternative option, such as an option to only receive e-mails from paying members. The reason I wish the latter option is to ensure that only serious colleagues contact me. I doubt if a scammer would create a profile and then pay an annual membership fee in order to contact me with a scam, so that would be a very expedient option for me.

So, taking things as they stand at the moment, with the only possible useful option that would exist being noticeable by its absence, what can I do, then, to avoid receiving scam via my profile?

This is what I can do: tick the option "allow no-one to contact me via my profile page". Fantastic solution, eh? Ahem! I thoouuught...just imagined (but plainly I was wrong here) that it was supposed to be a benefit of ProZ.com membership that reputable agencies, having noticed us, would contact us via our profile pages with jobs....

...so goodbye, jobs! Goodbye, reputable agencies! Until the powers-that-be allow us to have an e-mail option created specially for you, I am afraid I am going to have to tick the only remaining option: "Allow no-one at all in the whole world to contact me via my profile page." Good for business, eh? Yes, extraordinarily so!

Astrid

[Edited at 2007-11-27 19:23]

[Edited at 2007-11-27 19:26]

Direct link Reply with quote

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 21:57
SITE STAFF
Thanks for raising this issue Nov 27, 2007

Thanks Astrid for raising this issue.

I have tagged for our to-do list two modifications:
  • Add a new option "Allow only logged-in ProZ.com members to send me email via my profile page" (with the meaning of "members" as defined in the site glossary)
  • Correct the current message into "Allow only logged-in ProZ.com users to send me email via my profile page"

This second option (the current one) would allow profile messages from any logged-in site user, regardless of membership level.

Regards,
Enrique

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your quick response, Enrique! Nov 27, 2007

Perhaps I could have mentioned the topic earlier, as it has been a source of annoyance to me for a long time. However, it just happened one time too many again recently that someone unconnected with the translation industry created a basic profile in a couple of seconds just in order to contact members via their profiles.

I look forward to the new option.

Best regards,

Astrid

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Excuse me for hijacking your thread Nov 27, 2007

BTW, I have never encountered your problem.

I would appreciate, however, the link to the "site glossary" (that I didn't find), in order to understand finally what I am exactly considered as a partial community member - a "member" or a "user"? This may be anyway somehow pertinent to your question, Astrid.

Enrique wrote:

Thanks Astrid for raising this issue.

I have tagged for our to-do list two modifications:
  • Add a new option "Allow only logged-in ProZ.com members to send me email via my profile page" (with the meaning of "members" as defined in the site glossary)
  • Correct the current message into "Allow only logged-in ProZ.com users to send me email via my profile page"

This second option (the current one) would allow profile messages from any logged-in site user, regardless of membership level.

Regards,
Enrique

Thank you, Enrique.

Enrique Cavalitto
SITE STAFF
Glossary and membership Nov 27, 2007

Christel Zipfel wrote:

I would appreciate, however, the link to the "site glossary" (that I didn't find), in order to understand finally what I am exactly considered as a partial community member - a "member" or a "user"? This may be anyway somehow pertinent to your question, Astrid.

You may find the site glossary at http://www.proz.com/?sp=info/&ssp=site_glossary or in the top drop-down menu selecting About -> Site glossary.

In general, when no additional considerations are made, "ProZ.com member" encompasses all categories of membership.

Best regards,
Enrique

Enrique Cavalitto
SITE STAFF
Implemented Feb 5, 2009

The new options have been implemented. They are described in a dedicated FAQ.

Regards,
Enrique

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much, Enrique! Feb 5, 2009

I have selected the correct option in my profile immediately.

Best regards,

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can we have an extra e-mail option setting, please?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums