Mobile menu

1000-word KudoZ context*, please.
Thread poster: xxxmediamatrix
xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 19:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2007

It is not uncommon – especially in technical translations – for the asker to have very little context other than a drawing, photo or other illustration of the 'thing' whose name needs translating. This post is prompted by a case that came up today - asker is stuck with a single word and a diagram, and no other context whatsoever, and without seeing the picture potential answerers can only guess.

In this situation some askers give a link to their source document (if they are localizing a website, for example), others may use a file-sharing site, but it would be far better, IMHO, if this functionality were embedded in the KudoZ page. In today's case, asker asked "Is there some way to post a picture?'. The answer to that is 'Errr ... no, there isn't.'

I therefore propose that askers should be able to attach a small jpg file to their question, which potential answerers could see in a full-screen pop-up after clicking on a link in the question. Such image files could be eliminated automatically from the server when the question is closed (to avoid potential problems of copyright...). The rules governing the disclosure of confidential detail in questions (peoples' names, etc.) would have to apply, of course, but such information can easily be blanked out by the asker before sending the question, using any simple image editing tool.

I imagine this functionality could be useful also to colleagues who have difficulty deciphering hand-written source texts, badly-printed seals on legal documents, and in a dozen or more other situations.

MediaMatrix
*A picture tells a thousand words.

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
great suggestion! Dec 1, 2007

mediamatrix wrote:

I therefore propose that askers should be able to attach a small jpg file to their question, which potential answerers could see in a full-screen pop-up after clicking on a link in the question. Such image files could be eliminated automatically from the server when the question is closed (to avoid potential problems of copyright...). The rules governing the disclosure of confidential detail in questions (peoples' names, etc.) would have to apply, of course, but such information can easily be blanked out by the asker before sending the question, using any simple image editing tool.

I imagine this functionality could be useful also to colleagues who have difficulty deciphering hand-written source texts, badly-printed seals on legal documents, and in a dozen or more other situations.

MediaMatrix
*A picture tells a thousand words.

I think someone suggested this before, so I hope that there doesn't turn out to be some technical impediment to doing it (I can't imagine that there would be).

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:34
French to English
Yes Dec 1, 2007

That's a great idea !

Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:34
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Yes Dec 1, 2007

I have my website here at ProZ but have no idea of:

1. how to make a file (image file) available for open access
2. how to give link to it

Thanks

[Edited at 2007-12-02 13:35]

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Excellent idea! Dec 1, 2007

This really is an excellent idea!

However:

mediamatrix wrote:
Such image files could be eliminated automatically from the server when the question is closed (to avoid potential problems of copyright...).

Potential infringements of copyright laws of course has nothing to do with the question being closed or not...

Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:34
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
Brilliant! Dec 1, 2007

I especially think this would be great for handwritten texts. Sometimes, 500 eyes are better than 2!

maciejm  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
No problem Dec 1, 2007

Even though ProZ.com does not have the function in question, one can always use one of numerous image hosting websites, like

http://imageshack.us/
where images can be uploaded free of charge. Of course due to copyright problems, some details should/may be blanked out using any photoediting software prior to uploading an image. I have already used this method a couple of times, like e.g. here:

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1910740.

M

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Uploading images to your hosted website Dec 1, 2007

Gennady, here are the steps to follow:

1) Go to My ProZ.com > my hosting
2) Click [Control panel] and login as usually
3) Click File Manager
4) Click the folder icon to the left of "public html"
5) Click the 'upload files' arrow
6) Choose the images you would like to upload and click 'upload'

In case you would like to show the image in the forums,
the link should be as follows:
img src ="http://www.username.my.proz.com/filename.ext"
All the above line should be placed into < >, of course.

In KudoZ you should use only the link iyself, i.e. http://www.username.my.proz.com/filename.ext

[Edited at 2007-12-01 20:55]

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:34
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
With Firefox Dec 2, 2007

Hello,

It's been suggested at least a couple of times, and I think it would be extremely useful. With technical translations you can't just use a dictionary to find a term without knowing what exactly it is. As the technical translator, I found myself using Google or a specialized website to see how the actual 'thing' looks like, in order to see what it does, in order to know what's its function, in order to know what the right translation would be. KudoZ answerers should be given as much information as possible without having to do all that research themselves. And, as you said, "A picture tells a thousand words"

Recently, that's exactly what I've been doing. Sometimes, the context is not enough, so I've been uploading pictures or screen-shots of the terms I need the translation for.

These are not solutions but if you have Firefox, you can use them as a nice work-around:

• ImageShack QuickShot
    With just one key shortcut or right-click, you can take a picture, upload, get and copy the link to a full screen, a window, or any image on your browser. It takes a couple of seconds, really!

• Imagebot :
    You can upload any image file you have and upload it to your (or any) Imageshack or Photobucket account and get the links to it. You can either browse you files or drag-and-drop them to your Imagebot folder.

• Snapper
    Sometimes, for whatever reason, you can't get the link of a picture, or you just need a part of it. Then you can just Snap it and upload it to your Imagebot account

About your suggestion on handwritten text, it's a brilliant idea, maybe it can be implemented into KudoZ somehow as a separate language: 'Scribble to ...'

Claudia

[Edited at 2007-12-02 00:12]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1000-word KudoZ context*, please.

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs