Mobile menu

Helping \"glossary-cleaners\"
Thread poster: Andy Watkinson

Andy Watkinson
Local time: 09:13
Catalan to English
+ ...
Mar 4, 2003

In order to ease the workload on the people who are working on and improving the glossaries, would it not be possible to include each day a list of links to a series of questions (5? 10?....nº to be decided) taken from the glossary to be re-assessed by everyone? A section could be included on the KudoZ page itself perhaps, or the main page, wherever....

(NB. if any of this is actually possible...I know virtually nothing about the details of how websites are set up and maintained and the work involved, and can already sense an icy shudder running through whoever would be responsible for any of this)

One need would be to decide which items are posted for review. So as not to trail through the entire glossary itself, items reviewed could be limited by gathering them from different sources and “marking them”:

a) Members who, perhaps from glancing over their past answers / questions (for whatever reason), would often spot ones they remember disagreeing with: there could be some kind of checkbox to “mark” entries for review.

I don’t mean people wading wearily through everything; if each person only supplied one item now and again that would be more than enough.

b) KudoZ answers which members see going into the glossary at the time the “crime” is being committed could immediately “mark” it as pending review (in a relatively short time I’ve seen more than one answer being chosen when even the answerer themselves had said they were mistaken –No apologies for using the plural). I know a system like this obviously creates the danger of unhappy answerers objecting as a matter of course...– one possibility, of course, would be to bar any of the original answerers from “marking” anything– why not leave it to impartial bystanders who have nothing to gain from choosing one option or another)?

c) Members, or other askers, who use the glossary before asking others for help, who come across suspect entries. (suspect, or plainly absurd)

d) i) Other ways could include those answers awarded just one or two points - perhaps indicating an answer which wasn’t 100% convincing (??).

ii) Those having one or more “disagrees” – I know that neither this nor the previous “filter” is anything like a reliable method, as some perfectly respectable answers are occasionally lumbered with one or more disagrees or two or fewer points.... but it does at least increase the likelihood of the answer being questionable.

iii) Those answers chosen automatically.

iv) Anything else anybody can think of.

A second need would be how to decide which answer(s) stand and which are rejected.

Members would simply vote for their choice of translation. If one answer is overwhelmingly chosen (percentage to be decided), it would replace the existing term.

There would obviously be no KudoZ or BrownieZ points, gold stars, gift tokens, free Big Macs or similar, so only those genuinely interested in improving the glossary would take part.

Well, that’s probably spoilt someone’s breakfast somewhere.

T’is an idea.

Saludos a todos,

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:13
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I really appreciate your suggestion andy Mar 4, 2003

And I\'m sure this will be kept in mind by the programmers. Until such a mechanism or a similar one is set up, though, I have two suggestions I hope people will take up.

1. Before entering a kudoz question, check the glossary to see if the entry exists. After four years of operation we have tens of thousands of possibilities.

If you don\'t find an entry that fits your context, to go ahead and ask the question.

This way, glossary entries will be tested against real needs and mistaken or badly-entered responses will be ferreted out as an initial step.

2. This is a measure being implemented in the Polish section. When a mistaken entry is discovered, an appropriate posting with the corresponding URL is put up in the language forum concerned with the heading \"Arbitration\". Members then come out of the woodwork to opine on the proper entry.

Certainly it\'s not the same or as convenient as a completely automated tool, but in the meantime, it would go some way to glossary cleaning.

Thanks again,

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Helping \"glossary-cleaners\"

Advanced search

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs