Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:00
Czech to German
+ ...
Dec 7, 2007

Hi,

not sure whether this has been discussed before... Is there any reason why the font has to be so tiny? When I first came to proz.com (several years ago) I was delighted to see a typeface which could be read without any problems and magnifier and was very pleasing to the eye. There are some parts of this homepage - such as what I'm just typing here and the site map - which still have this large font but for example the table of contents of fora etc. are really a strain to the eye
... See more
Hi,

not sure whether this has been discussed before... Is there any reason why the font has to be so tiny? When I first came to proz.com (several years ago) I was delighted to see a typeface which could be read without any problems and magnifier and was very pleasing to the eye. There are some parts of this homepage - such as what I'm just typing here and the site map - which still have this large font but for example the table of contents of fora etc. are really a strain to the eyes.
As translators are working mainly with computer displays and therefore are predestinated to get eye diseases I think everything should be done to avoid anything which will worsen legibility. After all, a website is not bound to be of A4 size, is it?

Charlotte

PS: I just see the preview is in that mini-font as well
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Try your settings Dec 7, 2007

Hi Charlotte,
Have you tried changing the font size?
My ProZ.com - My Settings - Other settings -> Site settings.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Ctrl & +, Ctrl & - Dec 7, 2007

I just tried Ralf's suggestion and it made no difference at all where it is most needed, which is the Home page. Whenever I log on to it (and I have it selected in the browser as my own home page) it comes up in a tiny font size.
In Firefox (not sure if this applies to other browsers) you can increase the font size by pressing the control key and plus key, and decrease it by pressing the control key and minus key. I now automatically hit control & plus every time I go to ProZ home page. So
... See more
I just tried Ralf's suggestion and it made no difference at all where it is most needed, which is the Home page. Whenever I log on to it (and I have it selected in the browser as my own home page) it comes up in a tiny font size.
In Firefox (not sure if this applies to other browsers) you can increase the font size by pressing the control key and plus key, and decrease it by pressing the control key and minus key. I now automatically hit control & plus every time I go to ProZ home page. Sometimes I have to hit control and minus on another ProZ page, but usually it remains at a size I find satisfactory.
Collapse

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
English to Slovak
+ ...
View/text size Dec 7, 2007

Just click on the "view", then "text size" and then again "increase".

Rad

Gisela Greenlee
Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:00
German to English
+ ...
Control key Dec 7, 2007

Just hold down the control key and move the mouse wheel forward (located at the top, between the 2 keys) up. Make sure the arrow is actually on the page, this will increase the font size. Moving the wheel backward will decrease the font size. This works on all pages, including word.

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
Thanks for the hint Dec 8, 2007

giselrike wrote:

Just hold down the control key and move the mouse wheel forward (located at the top, between the 2 keys) up. Make sure the arrow is actually on the page, this will increase the font size. Moving the wheel backward will decrease the font size. This works on all pages, including word.

Thanks a lot, giselrike! Quite a helpful tip.

*edit: and it really works for me (Firefox). Will now try it out with Word

**edit: blimey! works with Word, too, however, the other way round. A million thanks!

[Edited at 2007-12-09 00:10]

[Edited at 2007-12-09 00:11]

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 10:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
I must be missing something. Dec 8, 2007

giselrike wrote:

It sure doesn't work for me. Is there any more info you could give? Or does this depend on what kind of computer and/or mouse that one has?

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comments... Dec 11, 2007

they were quite useful (though I did not succeed in getting it larger by moving the mouse wheel either) but the question remains: Why did Proz.com change the font? Is this just because it is "en vogue" right now or are there any (technical?) reasons? If the second be the case I would not be bothered so much but if not I'm really curious to know why more and more website designers are going to ruin their visitors' eyes...

Charlotte

(BTW, here's an example of an actually
... See more
they were quite useful (though I did not succeed in getting it larger by moving the mouse wheel either) but the question remains: Why did Proz.com change the font? Is this just because it is "en vogue" right now or are there any (technical?) reasons? If the second be the case I would not be bothered so much but if not I'm really curious to know why more and more website designers are going to ruin their visitors' eyes...

Charlotte

(BTW, here's an example of an actually model website regarding font size: http://www.dpp.cz/index.php?q=cs )
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: LARGER font please!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »