https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/9175-average_rates_should_be_visible_for_everyone_mod%3Adone.html

average rates should be visible for everyone (Mod:'done')
Thread poster: Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 6, 2003

Having received a notification for a job that was offering the ofensive amount of 20 euros (!!!!) for the translation of 4400 words I can\'t think of anything more helpful for people that hasn\'t got the slightest idea of the rates, than making the average rates public.

I not only mean accesible from a little link, but make them more visible and probably \"guide\" people (especially potential clients) to look at them.

I hope something can be done about this.
... See more
Having received a notification for a job that was offering the ofensive amount of 20 euros (!!!!) for the translation of 4400 words I can\'t think of anything more helpful for people that hasn\'t got the slightest idea of the rates, than making the average rates public.

I not only mean accesible from a little link, but make them more visible and probably \"guide\" people (especially potential clients) to look at them.

I hope something can be done about this.

Thanks

Grace.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 18:37]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:17
English to German
+ ...
Contact a moderator Mar 6, 2003

Hi Graciela,

I am in the process of contacting that outsourcer - please note that all moderators are volunteers.

The problem with that job was that the outsourcer did not properly specify the price level - I will explain that to them.

If you see problems with any job posting, I would appreciate if you contact a moderator; since we do not have special jobs moderators (yet), I suggest to contact a moderator in the language pairs you\'re most acti
... See more
Hi Graciela,

I am in the process of contacting that outsourcer - please note that all moderators are volunteers.

The problem with that job was that the outsourcer did not properly specify the price level - I will explain that to them.

If you see problems with any job posting, I would appreciate if you contact a moderator; since we do not have special jobs moderators (yet), I suggest to contact a moderator in the language pairs you\'re most active in.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:17
SITE FOUNDER
Outsourcers see a curve of rates Mar 6, 2003

Outsourcers are shown a curve of rates, including a line representing the rate they offer.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:17
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes, they see it... Mar 6, 2003

but they don\'t seem to care very much, also because there\'s always people with rates within that range, unless you are asking for a free translation. The problem is that, if you are charging very little - let\'s say 2 cents per word - you will probably be located in a country where translators usually are desperate for jobs... and they always apply.

Giovanni

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

average rates should be visible for everyone (Mod:'done')

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »