New forum proposal: Renting, house-sharing, hospitality...
Thread poster: Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Dec 17, 2007

Seen today:
Off Topic: Renting an apartment in Firenze from June 27, 2008 to July 28, 2008 (Antworten 0)

I would not exactly consider this off topic, as many translators spend some time abroad or consider relocation. IMHO, a separate forum for this would be justified, as a sort of mini hospitality directory for translators.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
my opinion Dec 17, 2007

It is off topic because it is not related to translation. Similarly, many translators use Skype, but a discussion about skype would most likely be considered off-topic in a translation forum.
As to the creation of a new forum, aren't there more appropriate/qualified sites that provide real-estate / rental assistance? Is house-sharing so frequent among translators that would require a dedicated forum?

[Editado a las 2007-12-17 04:24]

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
German to English
Not such a bad idea Dec 17, 2007

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:
I would not exactly consider this off topic, as many translators spend some time abroad or consider relocation. IMHO, a separate forum for this would be justified, as a sort of mini hospitality directory for translators.

I agree with Wolfgang, and in fact, I submitted a support ticket earlier on this year suggesting a separate travel forum, which could be, as Wolfgang suggests, travel and hospitality. Translators and interpreters do travel on business sometimes and language students usually have to spend some time in the country of their source language as part of their studies, in which case they may appreciate advice on accomodation and other information about the country they are going to.

It is also not such an unprofessional thing to do. Many companies and organisations provide this kind of help to their staff. Since one of the aims of ProZ.com is to provide translators with tools to assist them in their work, and this is, I feel, a work related issue as far as translators are concerned, this type of forum would not be out of place.

Nicole Johnson
Nicole Johnson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:54
Italian to English
+ ...
I agree Dec 17, 2007

with Wolfgang and Niraja. It could be a very useful forum for many translators who want recommendations from colleagues in other countries. After all, having a dedicated forum would provide the opportunity for those who want to participate or need information a place to do so, while others who are not interested in the topic would not be "burdened" with the requests for information in the general "off-topic" category.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The feature exists Dec 17, 2007

This feature was introduced at least two years ago, it's called Exchange.
Main menu: Community: Exchange
This is exactly what you are looking for. True, in the new design it's not as much exposed as it was in the old one.

Csaba

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
German to English
A forum for discussion Dec 17, 2007

Csaba Ban wrote:
This feature was introduced at least two years ago, it's called Exchange.

We can post our requests and offers in the Exchange. I think what's being suggested here is a forum where we can actually discuss these things.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
a combination? Dec 17, 2007

I understand. Perhaps a combination of both could be a good idea.

BTW, there are several sites out there where you can ask for this kind of advice (Virtual Tourist, Lonely Planet, etc.), but those are much more impersonal, less of a real community than Proz.com, so this could be a valid request for development.

A good idea would be bringing back the Exchange box to the main page, in the right-hand column, with the option of starting a discussion on any of the posted i
... See more
I understand. Perhaps a combination of both could be a good idea.

BTW, there are several sites out there where you can ask for this kind of advice (Virtual Tourist, Lonely Planet, etc.), but those are much more impersonal, less of a real community than Proz.com, so this could be a valid request for development.

A good idea would be bringing back the Exchange box to the main page, in the right-hand column, with the option of starting a discussion on any of the posted items.

cs.

------------------
oops, I just noticed that the Exchange box is there on the main page, but with the new design it's on the left.

[Edited at 2007-12-17 10:49]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New forum proposal: Renting, house-sharing, hospitality...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »