Thread poster: JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 02:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 16, 2008

Would it be possible to make the new-message notification more obvious? I don't use the feature regularly, so I don't think to check that tiny line along the top of the home page. By sheer chance, I got some KudoZ points today and decided to check my totals, and there it was--a wee envelope with "1 new" next to it. Luckily, the message was only 1 day old; the last message I received sat there for a couple of weeks before I noticed it!

I'm not complaining about the new layout. I like
... See more
Would it be possible to make the new-message notification more obvious? I don't use the feature regularly, so I don't think to check that tiny line along the top of the home page. By sheer chance, I got some KudoZ points today and decided to check my totals, and there it was--a wee envelope with "1 new" next to it. Luckily, the message was only 1 day old; the last message I received sat there for a couple of weeks before I noticed it!

I'm not complaining about the new layout. I like seeing other people, not myself, featured in the upper left corner! But I want to respond quickly when someone cares enough to send me a personal message.

I don't remember how new-message notifications used to be done. For myself, I would like the notification to jump out and hit me over the head; would that be too unsubtle for others? Perhaps a small, flashing window? Or would that cause problems with people's pop-up blockers? I hate to suggest cluttering up the outside columns of the home page, but maybe there could be a box ONLY when there is NEW message?

Undoubtedly, someone else can come up with the perfect idea. Or am I the only one who has this problem?

[Edited at 2008-01-16 16:33]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:59
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Fully seconded Jan 16, 2008

JaneTranslates wrote:
Would it be possible to make the new-message notification more obvious? I don't use the feature regularly, so I don't think to check that tiny line along the top of the home page.

Yes, new message indicator indeed is hard to spot. My suggestion would be to leave it where it is the size it is, but to make it flashing red- as moderators' non-availability notification at

http://www.proz.com/index.php3?sp=mod/list&show_mode=jobs_mods

(All moderators are available at the moment, though)

Uldis

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Flashing red Jan 16, 2008

Although I got into the habit of checking if I have messages, I think that if there was a correct solution to this, what Uldis proposes sounds good. In any case, something that is animated always attracts the attention without having to be any bigger.

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:59
French to English
+ ...
I'll make it more eye-catching Jan 16, 2008

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll make the animated gif more eye-catching.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What animated gif? Jan 16, 2008

Colin Brady wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll make the animated gif more eye-catching.

Thanks, Colin, that would be great! Forgive me if I'm missing something, but...what animated gif? Mine is just a simple envelope icon, no animation at all. Or did you mean that you will put an eye-catching animated gif there? Again, forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your post. And thanks again!

moken
moken  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same same Jan 17, 2008

Hi Jane,

Thanks for bringing this up. I'd had this problem with several users but hadn't been a responsible enough user to bring the subject up in a forum thread.

Colin, thank you too for your responsiveness.

Regards,

Álvaro ))

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

More conspicuous message notifications

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »