We need an "Always show Proz.com in this language" setting
Thread poster: Damian Brandt
Damian Brandt
Damian Brandt  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:21
German to English
Feb 5, 2008

I often do Google searches of the Kudoz forum, and frequently end up on the Tamil, Thai, Russian, etc. version of Proz.com. It takes me a lot of effort to scroll all the way down the page and then find the box in the lower right-hand corner and switch the language. I usually end up going to the URL address and typing in "eng.proz.com" just so I know what all the text on the page means.

This should be a relatively quick fix using cookies.

Am I the only one with this prob
... See more
I often do Google searches of the Kudoz forum, and frequently end up on the Tamil, Thai, Russian, etc. version of Proz.com. It takes me a lot of effort to scroll all the way down the page and then find the box in the lower right-hand corner and switch the language. I usually end up going to the URL address and typing in "eng.proz.com" just so I know what all the text on the page means.

This should be a relatively quick fix using cookies.

Am I the only one with this problem?

[Edited at 2008-02-05 15:30]
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:21
English to Russian
+ ...
Seconded! Feb 5, 2008

Yes, I need this too.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Not a bad idea Feb 5, 2008

Although a quick fix is just to remove the language code from the address.

Edits: I'm removing my examples, as I seem to remember it's against Proz rules to link to a specific question. And also I see that Damian has also mentioned a similar fix.

[Edited at 2008-02-05 17:10]

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good point Feb 5, 2008

Hi Damian and Mikhail,

We will see the way how that could be implemented.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Kind regards,

Soledad

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It's Google's fault Feb 5, 2008

Damian Brandt wrote:
I often do Google searches of the Kudoz forum, and frequently end up on the Tamil, Thai, Russian, etc. version of Proz.com.

The fault lies with Google for serving you the Tamil version of a page if the English version (or the version in your language) contains exactly the same information and page rank.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

We need an "Always show Proz.com in this language" setting

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »