Mobile menu

Honorary Membership
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:59
Spanish to English
Feb 17, 2008

I have just noticed that one of the keys contributors in my language pair is not a member. I consider this person to be a key member of the Proz community, who has frequently helped me with difficult terminology and often contributes to the forums.

I know this is a business, but precisely because it is a business that would not survive for one day without these key contributors, is there not an argument for awarding Honorary Membership to people of this ilk?

Direct link Reply with quote

David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:59
Spanish to English
Honorary Membership Feb 17, 2008

I also am not a member of Proz (I think I paid a subscription for one year) and consider myself an Honorary Member, already, thank you.

Seriously, I think I know who you are talking about and it depends on the person whether he/she wants to accept it.

This person may not be a paying member because he/she
has nothing more to gain from Proz, apart from continuing to help other people

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not just one person Feb 17, 2008

Well I thought of the idea because of one person, but that is not the object of the exercise. Actually quite a few people come to mind as possible recipients of this honor.

I don't even know what criteria would work best, maybe we could propose candidates and vote for a limited number of these memberships.

I just wanted to see what other people think.

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:59
English to Dutch
+ ...
Best reason Feb 18, 2008

David Brown wrote:

Seriously, I think I know who you are talking about and it depends on the person whether he/she wants to accept it.

I think I know, too.

This person may not be a paying member because he/she
has nothing more to gain from Proz, apart from continuing to help other people

Wouldn't that be the best reason to make this person an honorary member?

I like the idea, but decisions need to be made with care and a good rationale should be given in each case...

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 03:59
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
On the fence. Feb 18, 2008

If it's the person I think it is, I would vote in favor without hesitation.

On the other hand, this is the sort of thing that could snowball clear out of control in no time. ProZ should think very carefully before even considering offering such a thing. (Maybe they already have thought, and decided it was a nice but impractical idea?)

Back on the first hand: The person I'm thinking of has a credential that it would be hard for others to equal--a jillion gazillion KudoZ points.

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Feb 25, 2008

I support this great idea because it improves the site and its community.

Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nice One Yaotl Feb 25, 2008

It's great to get your support Yaotl. From what I can see, there is not a lot of interest, so I imagine this won't be happening, but it is good to know that I'm not in a complete vacuum.

Stuart Allsop  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 04:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely! Feb 28, 2008

I also agree. It is an excellent idea. It rewards people who go the extra mile, and put extra effort into proz.com. I'm nbot sure how it would be implemented in practice (some kind of nomination and voting system, I guess), but I support it 100%.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Honorary Membership

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs