Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Cramped new-look home page (Staff: fixed)
Thread poster: Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:47
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 8, 2008

I'm not keen on the cramped look of the home page for the last day or two. I realize that it is getting rather long, but I would sooner scroll down a long well-spaced-out page than look at it the way it is now.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-03-10 03:23]

Direct link Reply with quote

George Fabian
Local time: 22:47
Polish to English
Agree Mar 8, 2008

I fully agree with Jack. I was a little surprised yesterday when I saw the new design - very illegible compared to the previous layout. Before, it was very easy to move around the page and read questions, forum titles, etc. Now, it's a lot more difficult. Not a step in the right direction.

briski  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to French
+ ...
I agree! Mar 8, 2008

I totally agree with you Jack.
When there is so little space, it is also very annoying for those who, like me, wear glasses....

Maybe it's just a momentary change of the home page...

lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
Glad you raised it, Jack Mar 8, 2008

I thought I was the only one increasingly repelled by the clutter. It seems that every time the staff have a 'bright' idea, it has to be crammed onto the home page. The latest wheeze - of doubtful value in my view - is the so-called My Network.

It would be really worthwhile if individual users could customise their home page - perhaps it could be a members-only feature - adding or rejecting different features, and perhaps based around the My Proz.com menu.

At present the home page that we have is largely a recruiting page aimed at promoting Proz.com to potential members. These features:
- Welcome new members
- Featured translator
- Featured corporate member
- Featured translation article
- Recent Blue Board queries
are mainly public relations/customer winning oriented. I can see the value of their appearing on the home page to a passing visitor or even a basic user, but I've paid my subscription - I don't need convincing of the value of Proz.com: what I need is rapid access to the site features that I, personally, use most often. Frankly, I'm totally uninterested in who has recently become a member or which agencies have been looked up on the Blue Board in the last x days.

Like many of you I dare say, I am registered with a number of websites where the home page is customised to my needs and interests once I have logged in. Even my telecommunications and electricity suppliers are able to offer that.

Come on Proz.com, when are we going to get a My Home Page instead of what we have at present, Your Home Page?

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 23:47
English to Greek
+ ...
I agree, too! Mar 8, 2008

It's cramped and ugly - it's an eyesore. I hope it's only temporary, too!

[Edited at 2008-03-08 16:30]

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
I thought I had a browser problem! Mar 8, 2008

Thanks for raising the issue - I had no idea it was a new design thing.

However, I get really upset when I see site staff "attacked" like that (not in your posting Jack, but in one of the replies - lexical's). Proz.com is perhaps the most democratic site I've ever come across, with users constantly suggesting changes and staff doing their best to accommodate all the (sometimes conflicting) suggestions. I'm not saying we should be grateful for whatever we get and never complain, but I'm sure there's a more considerate way of expressing dissatisfaction.

PS: Having said that, I do like lexical's idea of a customisable homepage.

[Edited at 2008-03-08 15:48]

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:47
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Need magnifying glass Mar 8, 2008

My aging eyes can hardly read it anymore.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Is it a new design? I don't think so... Mar 8, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:
I'm not keen on the cramped look of the home page for the last day or two.

For the past day or two I did see a different ProZ.com, but it wasn't "new". What seemed to have happened was the ProZ.com decided that I should have the old design again. But the new (or: existing) design is still there... just scroll down to the very bottom of the page and select "Switch to new design".

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
"Change the order of home page items" feature Mar 8, 2008

lexical wrote:

It would be really worthwhile if individual users could customise their home page - perhaps it could be a members-only feature - adding or rejecting different features, and perhaps based around the My Proz.com menu.

I'd never noticed that before (maybe it's new), but I just found out that you can already, to a certain extent, cutomise your homepage, but only if you're a member.
There's a "Change the order of home page items" link at the bottom of the homepage, which allows you to move items up or down, or hide them altogether.
There's even - apparently - the possibility of increading the font size, but it says that this feature is experimental and indeed it's not working yet.

Oh - the font size thing does work but not on the homepage.

[Edited at 2008-03-08 16:28]

Dubravka Hrastovec  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
:-( Mar 8, 2008

I totally agree with Jack and George: the home page is too crammed and illegible...
At a first glance I also thought that I had some problem with my browser, tried to change the font size etc. Then I realised that it was the new home page design.
As for the customisation options offered now, it's only the link 'change the order of home page items', which unfortunately doesn't solve the problem of removing the unwanted features like featured members, recent BB queries. lexical has made a point: some additional customisation options would be highly welcome.

Prawi  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Italian
Fully agree Mar 8, 2008

The new layout is not a good idea. Nearly illegible, and "switch design" doesn't help either. Back to the old one, please!

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
No, it is nothing to do with the two designs Mar 8, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:
I'm not keen on the cramped look of the home page for the last day or two.

For the past day or two I did see a different ProZ.com, but it wasn't "new". What seemed to have happened was the ProZ.com decided that I should have the old design again. But the new (or: existing) design is still there... just scroll down to the very bottom of the page and select "Switch to new design".

I have tried switching between the two designs, and the result is the same. It is still all squashed together. I hate it. I did not realise it was a general problem, I thought something had gone wrong with my computer.

Astrid

Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:17
English to Swedish
I agree! Mar 8, 2008

I also thought it was a browser problem. It is too cramped, my eyesight is perfect and I still find it hard to read!

Åsa

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 15:47
English to Spanish
Yeah... Mar 8, 2008

Eleni Makantani wrote:
It's cramped and ugly - it's an eyesore. I hope it's only temporary, too!

Specially "ugly"! What's all this about? What is ProZ doing to us...?

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
Italian to English
It's horrible Mar 8, 2008

Far too much in too small a space.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cramped new-look home page (Staff: fixed)

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs