Mobile menu

REquire Job Posters to Provide Some Very Basic Information
Thread poster: Ulrike Lieder
Ulrike Lieder  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:36
English to German
+ ...
Jan 7, 2002

This sort of ties in with Hans Pich\'s posting on the quality of job postings and bids (posted originally in the German forum, but I see that Allison Riddell-Kachur was kind enough to provide a translation). Mr. Pich raises some very valid points.

I would submit that it is absolutely essential that posters are required to give some very basic job information. IMHO, this could be achieved via required fields; if these fields are not filled in, the posting gets kicked back to the poster (this technique is already being utilized in other sections of ProZ).

To illustrate my point: As an interpreter, I was interested in the following job posting:

Interpreting veterinary congress

A click on the above will yield the follwoing \"wealth\" of information (I copied the entire posting):

Interpreting veterinary congress

English>German

Interpreting (on a veterinary congres), simultaneous, for 5 days

Hello?? It sure would be nice to know WHERE, and WHEN?

Where is the veterinary congress being held? In Los Angeles? In Timbuktu? When does it start? Next week? In July of this year?

I had to do a Google search to learn more about the poster, such as at least the country in which they are located (that\'s another area that, IMHO, requires some improvements - some basic information on the job poster should be readily available). Assuming that maybe the veterinary congress will be held in the same country that the poster is located in, I might then be able to figure out if it\'s even worth my while to submit a bid.

The point is, though, that I shouldn\'t even have to do a search since the poster should already have provided me with such insignificant details as conference venue and dates (which is really no more than the bare minimum).

Henry, there must be a way to ensure that at least the very basics are covered before a job is posted. The above is a prime example of an exercise in futility. As well as totally unprofessional.

My two cents worth.

Direct link Reply with quote

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 13:36
German to English
+ ...
Just ignore (and delete) it Jan 7, 2002

Ulrike,

I have seen this ludicrous posting too. But consider this: if an outsourcer is so disorganized as to forget the most essential information, they are probably not worth contacting anyway. In my experience, such outsourcers tend to get even worse as the project moves along (ie, no assistance, no one to contact, no PO and NO PAYMENT).

IMHO ProZ should delete these types of postings as soon as possible. They are only a waste of time and of the ProZ server.

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:36
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
The posting says it all, in many ways... Jan 8, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-07 17:09, uel wrote:

Henry, there must be a way to ensure that at least the very basics are covered before a job is posted. The above is a prime example of an exercise in futility. As well as totally unprofessional.

There is no amount of controls that can transform unprofessional and careless outsourcers in sensible and professional partners. The job postings contain a lot of information in what they say and also in what they DON\'T say.

I\'m afraid, but in many cases it is up to us to give consideration or discard immediately the jobs advertised on the site.

Gianfranco

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-08 10:55 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

REquire Job Posters to Provide Some Very Basic Information

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs