Audio greeting
Thread poster: redred

redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 24, 2008

Does an audio greeting file limit below 1MB? I fail to upload a complete song to greet visitors.

[Edited at 2008-08-24 03:48]

Direct link Reply with quote

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:56
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Place on ProZ.com only the link Aug 24, 2008

And the script is (as ProZ forums does not accept some symbols, please note that in the beginning of the script you should place math symbol "is more than" and in the end "is less than" without any spaces:

bgsound src="http://www.your_file_address/your_file_name.file_extension"

Upload your song to some place you can store it- say, your personal website and write the link in your ProZ.com profile "About me" field.

And I'd suggest to use some audio files editor to convert your song file to WAV format, as well as to reduce the size to some 3 Mb- otherwise visitors to your profile might not be so happy after all

You can see how it works in practice visiting my profile.

HTH, Uldis

redred wrote:

Does an audio greeting file limit below 1MB? I fail to upload a complete song to greet visitors.

[Edited at 2008-08-24 03:48]

[Rediģēts plkst. 2008-08-25 18:44]

FarkasAndras
Local time: 02:56
English to Hungarian
+ ...
don't Aug 24, 2008

Unsolicited audio is about the worst thing the internet has to offer. Easily worse than spam. Don't piss off your potential clients.

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 17:56
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
I second that motion Aug 24, 2008

Although you have the absolute right to market yourself as you see fit, I would join in advising against using an audio greeting. Being subjected to unexpected blasts of audio (even if they're cute jingles) is one of the most grating experiences out there when it comes to the Internet, IMHO. However, this comes from a relatively tech-savvy, Western person - Chinese culture (or cultures, to be more accurate), if that's your target audience, might be more forgiving, or even like it - I honestly wouldn't know and am not arrogant enough to think that I would.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Same here. Aug 24, 2008

I can't even listen to Uldis' audio greeting - I would have to modify some security settings first. Which is not going to happen.

If I need entertainment, I surf the web for fun stuff. If I need immediate and business-related information about a translator, I would be ticked off if my computer would start blaring at me.

Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
You don't quarrel on tastes :) Aug 24, 2008

as one of my relatives used to say: "Anything taste of what I like is tasty"

Yes, I too don't like web pages with lenghty animated and audio intro's, however, as ProZ profile page has no intro of any kind and is fully static, so IMHO, a little sound doesn't hurt.

As to the audio on my profile- I have received many compliments and no complaints. But of course, if you don't like it, you can always turn the sound off. I don't have any reason to think I have lost any clients because of it.

Uldis

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I can't even listen to Uldis' audio greeting - I would have to modify some security settings first. Which is not going to happen.

United States
English to German
+ ...
Heh.. Aug 24, 2008

Okay, you made me curious, and I will kick the fortress temporarily. You made me curious..))

N.

Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Feeling of the language Aug 24, 2008

It's just a song I like, but why I placed it there- it gives you very good feeling what Latvian language sounds like. If you didn't know it before, you will after

Uldis

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Okay, you made me curious, and I will kick the fortress temporarily. You made me curious..))

N.

redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MP3 Aug 25, 2008

Uldis,

I opened your "greeting" on the left top, could not listen to, the situation is the same as the failture of uploading my 4 MB song, but now the 426 KB file is available. I have listened other guy's, it has long record.

[Edited at 2008-08-25 03:35]

Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I have nothing entered in "greeting" Aug 25, 2008

My audiofile starts automatically if you open my profile- provided your computer recognizes WAV files and the sound is enabled.

Uldis

redred wrote:

Uldis,

I opened your "greeting" on the left top, could not listen to, the situation is the same as the failture of uploading my 4 MB song, but now the 426 KB file is available. I have listened other guy's, it has long record.

[Edited at 2008-08-25 03:35]

United States
English to German
+ ...
Sounds great, Uldis! Aug 25, 2008

Oh, if I only could understand a word. Beautiful language, BTW.

Nicole

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:56
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
I can't hear anything Aug 25, 2008

Now I'm curious too but I can't hear anything at all. My audio settings are on because I just listened to a video audio, and as far as I know, my computer can play WAV files. But I can't hear anything from your profile Uldis.

Edit: Nevermind, I can hear it now. It just took a long time to load. Nicole is right, it's a beautiful language.

[Edited at 2008-08-25 18:24]

Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Thank you Nicole and Claudia! Aug 25, 2008

Subj

Uldis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Audio greeting

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs