Mobile menu

Term search problems
Thread poster: Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)
Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:32
English to Polish
+ ...
Sep 26, 2008

As we all know has a feature allowing users to search for terms or phrases. I have had problems in using this feature ever since I joined the (non-paying member -does it matter?), but never bothered to use my time to discuss it.
However, as over the years I have not noticed any improvements, I thought I would ask openly - are there any plans to improve it? And if so - by when?

Specifically - just today I tried to find a Polish term: 'plac składowy'. To no avail.
If I enter the whole phrase in the search box and tick the Match exact phrase box I get no results. If I enter only 'plac' I get hundreds of hits - which is discouraging - and would takes ages to go through all them.

If I enter 'sładowy' - no hits.
The same happens when the word is entered without the Polish character 'ł', i.e. 'skladowy'. Nil.
Ah! There is a magic box Search for all likely character encodings. This will do the job - methinks. Yes? Nooooo! I do get a few hits, go through them and see that my phrase is not there.
Hmmmm. There is another box! I tick Also search reverse language pair (target into source), reiterate the process and do not find my phrase.

Therefore I can assume that the phrase does not exist in the database, right? Wrong! It does -

Do we need to resort to [name of the most popular search engine] to search site? [name of the most popular search engine] finds the phrase without any problem.

Is it really so difficult to do a simple search engine? What I would really love to have is a search engine which allows one to use regular expressions - something that has been around for decades and just makes a translator's life so much easier, but that is not what I am not asking for.

What I am asking for is functionality that by implication is promised. Or an explicit statement from staff that we can try and do a search but [name of the most popular search engine] is better and faster

Come on guys, are you going to do something about it?

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 05:32
Spanish to English
Watch Jeopardy Sep 26, 2008

The TV Show Jeopardy for years has been noted as providing the answers and requesting cointestants to come up with the questions.
Here, as you are apparently satisfied with a back-translation (which would not necessarily be correct in all instances), reverse the language direction to search English into Polish, instead of Polish into English, in an effort to find English terms that could possibly be translated into the Polish term you're seeking to translate into English.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term search problems

Advanced search PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs