Ma.Elena Carrión de Medina  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 16:38
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 5, 2008

Hello,

Since I became a member of Proz.com and got access to the "my visitors" section, I see that someone has been visiting my profile, sometimes even up to 30 times per day, and they go through every area in it (Kudoz activity, questions asked/answered, portfolio, etc.) When I had my CV uploaded here they used to download that too.

I can see it is the same person because it shows the same code/number every time, and it says it is from Sunnyvalley, California... I don´t have any clients from that area, and I´m not contacted daily by anyone from California either.

So, I was just wondering what is this about????

I´d like to know if there is a way to contact that person or to do something about it.

Thanks!
Elena

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:38
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I think you will find it is the Google robot Dec 5, 2008

Robots visit every page; it is quite common. Nothing to worry about, I think! They are updating your pages.

Astrid

P.S. You can check their address under the company information on their web page. It matches the details you have.

[Edited at 2008-12-05 18:41 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
If it's Sunnyvale Dec 5, 2008

Ma.Elena Carrión de Medina wrote:

I can see it is the same person because it shows the same code/number every time, and it says it is from Sunnyvalley, California... I don´t have any clients from that area, and I´m not contacted daily by anyone from California either.

Elena

Hi Elena,

If it's in California I guess you meant Sunnyvale. So it is very likely that it's a Yahoo ip address: either (different) people who have yahoo accounts are checking your Proz profile or people who are using yahoo search or - as Astrid says - it's a (yahoo) search bot. Probably the latter .
So in the visitors section you see the same ip address, but this doesn't mean that it is connected to 1 person, it just indicates that somehow that ip address is connected to Yahoo (if it's Sunnyvale).

Yahoo! - Address

Street Address Yahoo! Inc.
701 First Avenue
Sunnyvale, California 94089

Regards,
Katalin

[Edited at 2008-12-05 20:05 GMT]

Simona Elena Bonelli
France
Member (2008)
French to Italian
+ ...
the same thing has happened to me Dec 5, 2008

Hello Elena,

I have noticed exactly the same location in my visitor's page. Something like 20-25 visits.
regards,
ellie

Jared Tabor
Local time: 18:38
SITE STAFF
Search engine crawler Dec 5, 2008

Hello all,

There is an older thread on this at http://www.proz.com/topic/58344 which might be of interest as well. This is usually due to a search engine crawler, nothing to be worried about.

Have a great weekend,

Jared

Simona Elena Bonelli
France
Member (2008)
French to Italian
+ ...
A bit reassured Dec 5, 2008

Thanks Jared,

I thought there was nothing to worry about, but certainly the idea of the search engine crawler reassures me a bit.
I don't know if this happens to other translators, but often I am curious to know who's looking at my profile/Cv, etc. and the visitor page gives me very little information about this person or agency. I know that it would be impossible to know more, but if you consider that we "show" a lot about ourselves on the Internet, it is sometimes quite embarrassing not to do the same with our visitors.

A great weekend to you too!

ellie

Ecuador
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Dec 9, 2008

Hello again,
I just wanted to thank you all for sharing your ideas and experiences concerning this topic, I´m relieved, though I still think it would be interesting to be able to contact our visitors.. may be one day as technology advances we´ll be able to do that!!

Have a nice day.-
Elena

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Privacy of visitors Dec 9, 2008

I do not quite agree that it should be possible to contact visitors, and I think it is not a question of technology. Sufficient technology already exists. However, the visitors in question need some privacy. For example, if I look at the profiles of about 6 people, in order to choose one to offer a job to (or for any other reason), I would not necessarily like them all to pounce on me. To me it seems that what you suggest is akin to when a person walks into a small shop, just to look around initially and see what that shop has for sale, and the assistant immediately pounces on that person to try to force a sale.

Ecuador
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You´re right... Dec 10, 2008

Astrid,

Now that you mention this aspect, I think you´re totally right!

I didn´t really get on the other side of this, that´s why I didn´t consider it before, I was just thinking on how strange it is when you -as the owner of a profile- receive +20 visits from someone in your own city who gets into every part of it, downloads your CV and then does not even contact you for a job.. that is when you think "what does he/she want?" ..and I dare there´s a google crawler in my hometown!

Anyway... maybe contacting that person to ask "how can I help you? would be odd as well.

By the way: it really helped reading all the posts in the reference provided by Jared. I think now that even if there is a way to contact the visitors, it´s probably not a great idea to do it after all.

Elena

Felipe Gútiez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting topic Dec 13, 2008

Maybe could be interesting to have a very, very simple system for visitors to let their visit card, like in a fair,

In fairs, sometime I have no time to speak, but I leave my visit card in the box of the stand of all the companies, entities from which I would like to be contacted. Maybe some visitors to our profiles would like to leave their visit cards to be contacted in the future.

What do you think of this idea?

By the way, is there out there already the electronic visit card?

Again, it must be very, very simple. We people are lazy.

Ecuador
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting idea Dec 15, 2008

Hello Felipe,

I really like your idea -I find it interesting.. and I think it will be a good thing for visitors and for translators in the eyes of business matters, besides, if it´s optional, then visitors won´t feel obligated to leave their info.

I don´t know if there is an electronic visit card in Proz, I haven´t been a member long enough, so I´m not familiar with the entire system yet, but sometimes I´m amazed at all the features Proz provides for us.

So, I was just thinking... would you post another forum asking Prozians if they have an electronic visit card in their profiles already, or if they think it will be a good idea to have one?, -so, in case Proz doesn´t have it and if Prozians consider it something good to have, maybe it can be another feature added to the others.

I didn´t want to post that forum because it was your idea, so you might be able to explain it better since you know exactly what you´re talking about! : )

Thank you for sharing your idea with us!
Kind regards,
Elena

Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Visitors Dec 16, 2008

A couple of times, in the "Came From" column of my "Visitors" chart I saw the actual web address of a translation agency. I don't know if they left it on purpose, but I was able to check out their web site and add myself to their data base. Does anybody out there know how this works?

In other web sites, usually personal ones or blogs, there is a "guest book" feature, which allows visitors the option of leaving a comment. I wonder if outsourcers wojuld use this if we had this on our profiles?

BTW, I find it useful to check my visitors' column to get an idea, however vague, of who has looked at my profile and then moved on. Sometimes that has nudged me to evaluate my profile and try to figure out what is missing or unclear. Then I spiff it up a bit, and hope that the next visitor will hit the contact icon!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to contact my visitors?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs