https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/132701-new_layout_for_the_prozcom_site_menu.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
New layout for the ProZ.com site menu?
Thread poster: Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:54
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Apr 14, 2009

I'm not sure that this is the right forum, but I did not find a better one.

Is there a new layout in PROZ.com implemented, with a new color scheme, new layout etc.

If so - here my opinion on it:

I do not like the new dark olive green, I do not like new positioning of the menu, I do not like the changed order of the menus and I absolutely dislike the smaller "new" font that is used in the menus.

Siegfried

23:18 GMT+2
Just re
... See more
I'm not sure that this is the right forum, but I did not find a better one.

Is there a new layout in PROZ.com implemented, with a new color scheme, new layout etc.

If so - here my opinion on it:

I do not like the new dark olive green, I do not like new positioning of the menu, I do not like the changed order of the menus and I absolutely dislike the smaller "new" font that is used in the menus.

Siegfried

23:18 GMT+2
Just realized the menus grew and so did the font in the menu items - looks much better, but I still prefer the right aligned position of the menu tabs.

[Edited at 2009-04-15 09:26 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-15 09:39 GMT]
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It seems to have changed during the course of this evening Apr 14, 2009

I also do not like the squashed positioning of the menu, and I am missing the menu item "Forum Search" under the "Community" tab. There is only now "Search" under the "Home" menu.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:54
Spanish
+ ...
Love it Apr 14, 2009

I love the new layout. The profile box changed last week, I believe, but I just noticed the new tabs. In my opinion, it looks much neater this way. Although I can't find the 'Forum search' page either. Thanks for the change.

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:54
French to English
+ ...
Thanks for the feedback Apr 14, 2009

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your feedback. Lately, as you have noticed, I've been making some updates around the site in an effort to improve performance and usability.

This latest update to the main navigation menu fixes a number of issues the old one had. It is also lighter and faster (you may notice pages downloading slightly quicker.)

Hi Astrid,

1. I added some padding to the menu items, so now they shouldn't be scrunched.
2. I removed
... See more
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your feedback. Lately, as you have noticed, I've been making some updates around the site in an effort to improve performance and usability.

This latest update to the main navigation menu fixes a number of issues the old one had. It is also lighter and faster (you may notice pages downloading slightly quicker.)

Hi Astrid,

1. I added some padding to the menu items, so now they shouldn't be scrunched.
2. I removed the forum search item from the community menu to simplify it. Too many items in a dropdown can be very confusing (see the "My ProZ.com" dropdown.) To search the forums, click "Forums" then type your search into the box on the left.

Hi Siegfried,

I updated the font size and it should appear larger for you now.

Best,
Colin
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:54
Swedish to English
+ ...
And this was tested prior to release? Apr 14, 2009

If so, which browsers did you use?

Colin wrote:

This new main menu does inno way aid usability when using Firefox (3.0.8). Try opening thew site in FF and hold your cursor over one of the menus, for example "About" when on the homepage.

I see all menu items in red, in the new slimmed down version, but without any background. So I can also see all underlying objects...

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Illegible Apr 14, 2009

When I put my mouse cursor over the headings at the top, the drop down menu is now red over red and is illegible. It was fine before. If something isn't broken, why fix it?

I mean these heading at the top of the page:
Home | KudoZ | Jobs | Directories | Community | Tools
| My ProZ.com | About | Support

Colin Brady
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
Please try refreshing. If that doesn't fix it, please let me know which browser you're using. Apr 14, 2009

Hi writeaway,

Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell me which operating system and browser you are using?

The menu may have been fine for you before, but it may not have been for others. The previous menu looked different in many browsers, and had usability problems when using the site in some languages. This new menu is *supposed* to look and function the same regardless of browser or site language.

Colin Brady
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
Old site design menu is now fixed. Apr 14, 2009

I just realized that the new menu does not function properly in the old design. I have restored the old menu for you.

I would like to let you know that while you have been still able to use it, the old design is no longer supported. Plea
... See more
I just realized that the new menu does not function properly in the old design. I have restored the old menu for you.

I would like to let you know that while you have been still able to use it, the old design is no longer supported. Please see this thread posted in late 2007: http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom:_translator_coop/90380-new_site_design_to_move_from_beta_to_standard_later_this_week.html

Moving forward, it would be ideal if all site users were using the same design. Eliminating this old design would make things a lot easier on the back-end for the web developers. Is there something keeping you from switching over? I am more than willing to listen to your feedback and make adjustments to the new design accordingly. Please send me a personal message or reply to this thread.

Colin
Collapse

Colin Brady
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
Yes, the menu was tested Apr 14, 2009

To answer your question, Madeleine, the menu was tested prior to release. I tested in Internet Explorer 6/7, Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera using machines with XP, Vista, and Mac OS.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:54
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
"My ProZ.com" menu is still too long Apr 15, 2009

Even in the smallest readable font size, I still cannot see as far as the bottom of this menu. Could you split it in two?

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Thanks for spacing it out a little bit more Apr 15, 2009

Hi Colin,

Thanks for spacing the menu out a little bit more. It looks fine now.

Certainly you are right about reducing the items in a dropdown menu. I just did not know how to access the forum search any more, however you have clarified that.

Astrid

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Home button doesn´t work Apr 15, 2009

I join the crowd who isn´t too happy with the changed layout yet...

For me the home button doesn´t seem to work anymore. As soon as I move my mouse over "Home" I can only click on "What´s new". Anyone having the same problem or is it just me?

Tech-Team, please do something about it. Thanks.

Manuela

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Love it +2 Apr 15, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I love the new layout. The profile box changed last week, I believe, but I just noticed the new tabs. In my opinion, it looks much neater this way
anks for the change. [/quote]

After reading here in the forums some threads about how better this browser is, I recently tried and finally switched to Firefox (3.08), so I have noticed nothing strange about the new menu format and Firefox (I use both Windows XP and Windows Vista). I also use IE (8 beta) in an older machine, so the new format looks fine there, too.

I really like how you have separated the menus turning them into tabs. It looks a lot "cleaner" and more spacious at the top, as well as orderly/user-friendly.

Keep up the good work, Colin,

Ivette

Dra Molnar
Dra Molnar  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
In general quite nice...BUT: Apr 15, 2009

Thank you Colin for you constant work on the site layout, a lot of things are improved now.

BUT: I do not like the centred position of the main menu
"Home | KudoZ | Jobs | Directories | Community | Tools | My ProZ.com | About | Support"!

I think this position influences its usablity in a negative way since I have to search the "Home"-button - both with my eyes and with the mouse. In the previous version the "Home"-button was more or less in at the centre of the u
... See more
Thank you Colin for you constant work on the site layout, a lot of things are improved now.

BUT: I do not like the centred position of the main menu
"Home | KudoZ | Jobs | Directories | Community | Tools | My ProZ.com | About | Support"!

I think this position influences its usablity in a negative way since I have to search the "Home"-button - both with my eyes and with the mouse. In the previous version the "Home"-button was more or less in at the centre of the upper frame, now there is "Community" and I am forced to move the mouse more often...not that good for my "mouse arm"...

IMHO it is more ergonomic to have the buttons "Home | KudoZ | Jobs" at centred in order to facilitate the navigation...

So: Please move the menu bar back in its previous position, i.e. right-aligned!
BR, Dragana
Collapse

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
I like the changes... Apr 15, 2009

but I have the same problem as Jack.

Thank you, Colin, for your efforts and for being open to suggestions.

Lucía

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New layout for the ProZ.com site menu?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »