ForeignDesk - getting started
Thread poster: Martin Heimann

Martin Heimann
Germany
Local time: 11:09
Dutch to German
+ ...
Feb 16, 2002

I downloaded the ForeignDesk TM software but cannot get started. I could create new projects but have no clue how to add files to the project. I\'ve given up. Anyone who has experience with ForeignDesk?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ulrike Lieder  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:09
English to German
+ ...
Not much help, I'm afraid Feb 17, 2002

I\'ve only worked with prepped Foreign Desk projects, so I\'m afraid I can\'t offer much help.

One thing that did come to mind though - did you set yourself up as the administrator? When installing the software, you have 2 installation options - administrator or translator.

On a purely personal note from someone who\'s worked with FD over the years, I never did like it. The user interface is not very elegant, you can\'t resize segments, and because it\'s a stand-alone program that does not interface with other text processors, none of your handy little WP macros and shortcuts work.

If you\'re looking for a free CAT software package, check out Wordfast which, AFAIK, is still available free of charge. From what I hear, that may change soon.

My 2 cents\' worth...

FrancescoP  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:09
English to Italian
+ ...
Can you please give more details about your problem? Feb 17, 2002

If you work with ForeignDesk, the project manager sends you the files in a compressed file .pkc. You have to split files double clicking on the icon and then choose a working directory. Then all you have to do is to clic on the button Open in ForeignDesk and select the correct path.

ForeignDesk is a very nice tool... if you can give me more details about your problem I\'ll try to help you.

Regards,

FP

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ForeignDesk - getting started

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs