MultiTerm (Trados)
Thread poster: Poornima Iyengar
Poornima Iyengar
Poornima Iyengar  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:49
German to English
+ ...
Mar 11, 2002

I recently bought Trados. I tried to read up the manual to get started but manuals have more often than not left me in a dazed and confused state [Do I sound like a dumbo? ].

I have somehow started using Workbench but I don\'t quite understand how MultiTerm works.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:19
English to German
+ ...
A few places to visit Mar 11, 2002

Hi Poornima,

Check out the various discussions in this forum; in fact, there are two communities you may want to try for a somewhat more \"hands-on\" introduction:

[email protected]

www.translationzone.com

Some general info: MultiTerm is the terminology tool within the Trados suite. If you hav
... See more
Hi Poornima,

Check out the various discussions in this forum; in fact, there are two communities you may want to try for a somewhat more \"hands-on\" introduction:

[email protected]

www.translationzone.com

Some general info: MultiTerm is the terminology tool within the Trados suite. If you have entered some terminology (see the FAQ list on the Trados website - #32: http://support.trados.com/faq.asp#827 on how to import from a Word table or Excel spreadsheet), and you have activated terminology recognition in Workbench, any relevant terminology will be shown in your Workbench window.

HTH - best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Check out: Mar 11, 2002

http://www.macroconsulting.com/Trados/index.html

This is a Trados introduction site written in plain English that is easy to understand.

HTH

Alison

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
A short explanation Mar 11, 2002

Hi Poornima (and everybody),

Multiterm is a powerful tool for managing glossaries. It allows for fuzzy searches in the glossary files and there are many shortkeys for quick insertion of the target terms found in the glossary into your translation. Usually, I receive .mtw files for use with this tool from agencies, in case there is an approved terminology for a specific project. As you get more used to the tool, you could be able to build your own multiterm files starting from excel fil
... See more
Hi Poornima (and everybody),

Multiterm is a powerful tool for managing glossaries. It allows for fuzzy searches in the glossary files and there are many shortkeys for quick insertion of the target terms found in the glossary into your translation. Usually, I receive .mtw files for use with this tool from agencies, in case there is an approved terminology for a specific project. As you get more used to the tool, you could be able to build your own multiterm files starting from excel files.
Collapse

Poornima Iyengar
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mar 12, 2002

This is a Trados introduction site written in plain English that is easy to understand.

HTH

Alison

Thankyou Alison,

The site does explain everything in layman\'s language BTW, isn\'t MT supposed to automatically store all the new terms (with the translated equivalent) while one is working on translations? Mine
... See more

HTH

Alison

Thankyou Alison,

The site does explain everything in layman\'s language BTW, isn\'t MT supposed to automatically store all the new terms (with the translated equivalent) while one is working on translations? Mine doesn\'t, so I was wondering what was wrong.
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Storing terms automatically.... Mar 12, 2002

It would be great if the terms in my trados translation just automatically found their way into my multiterm terminology database. I mean whoosh and they\'re in there..... In my dreams, I\'m afraid. If you want terms in multiterm you have to either put them in there one by one or create a file (if you have existing glossaries) and import the suckers.

What you can do though is to use the \"Concordance\" function. I LOVE this tool.

First make sure workbenc
... See more
It would be great if the terms in my trados translation just automatically found their way into my multiterm terminology database. I mean whoosh and they\'re in there..... In my dreams, I\'m afraid. If you want terms in multiterm you have to either put them in there one by one or create a file (if you have existing glossaries) and import the suckers.

What you can do though is to use the \"Concordance\" function. I LOVE this tool.

First make sure workbench is running...

Let\'s say you translate the sentence \"Der Hund stand vor der Tür\".

Your translation would be something like \"The dog stood in front of the door.\".

A few days later, the word \"Hund\" comes up again. You can\'t remember how you translated it the last time (okay, I know that probably wouldn\'t happen with \"Hund\", but let\'s pretend, ok?) so you hilite the word, hit the concordance button (the cross with the arrowheads on it) and Trados automatically brings up a window with the sentences in which \"Hund\" has previously been translated. And highlights the corresponding word in German. You then just have to read through the translated sentence to find the right word....

You can also just type words into the concordance window (under tools, concordance).

Concordance works on the \"Fuzzy MAtch\" principle, i.e. it will look for words that it thinks are similar. If your filter is set to 70%, and with the word \"Hund\", you would also theoretically get a hit for \"Hand\". As more than 70% of the characters are the same.

Hope that helps some!

Alison
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
AddTerm-Makro Mar 12, 2002

There is a macro that allows you to capture terms as you go along, rather than having to create a new term every time (the snag with the macro is that this will create a text file for subsequent import - IOW you won\'t have these terms available immediately). Check with your local Trados office if they can send you that macro.

AFAIK direct capture of terms will be available with the web-based version of MultiTerm that Trados is working on.

Poornima Iyengar
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds a little complicated to do that! Mar 12, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-03-12 08:10, Lemster wrote:

There is a macro that allows you to capture terms as you go along, rather than having to create a new term every time (the snag with the macro is that this will create a text file for subsequent import - IOW you won't have these terms available immediately). Check with your local Trados office if they can send you that macro.

AFAIK direct capture of terms will be available with the web-based version of MultiTerm that Trados is working on.

Ralf thanks for your suggestions. While I think the first one serves my purpose to a certain extent, this macro thing seems quite complex and I am already 'dazed' with the Trados utilities (though it is supposed to be user-friendly! It surely hasn't been very friendly with me as yet

Well I guess, I would be more adept in using Trados as I do more projects with it.

Thanks all of you for the valuable input. That's why I simply love this site, because everyone is always willing to help.

Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-12 09:11 ]

[Edited at 2004-08-03 05:22]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm (Trados)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »