https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/19781-from_proz%3A_notify_about_your_e_mail_account_utilization.html

From ProZ?: Notify about your e-mail account utilization
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:13
Spanish
+ ...
Mar 27, 2004

Hello,

I just received an email about viruses in my proz email account. The sender appears to be [email protected], but on the properties the sender is [email protected]. Besides there's a pif file attached to it.

The message is this:

Dear user of Proz.com gateway e-mail server,

Our antivirus software has detected a large ammount of viruses outgoing
from your email account, you may use our free anti-virus tool to clean up
your computer software.

For more information see the attached file.

The Management,
The Proz.com team http://www.proz.com

Does anybody know anything about this email, and if it really came from the proz team?

Thanks

Cali

[Edited at 2004-03-27 00:31]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:13
English to German
+ ...
Most certainly not Mar 27, 2004

This worm has been going around for about two weeks already - in line with the behaviour of most viruses and worms these days, it spoofs the sender's ID and pretends to be sent by the "administrator" of the domain matching the recipients e-mail address. We received similar messages, apparently from our own e-mail domain, but luckily we don't use "support" or "admin" as user names.

May I ask you to edit your posting so that it doesn't show the "sender's" e-mail address? Chances are t
... See more
This worm has been going around for about two weeks already - in line with the behaviour of most viruses and worms these days, it spoofs the sender's ID and pretends to be sent by the "administrator" of the domain matching the recipients e-mail address. We received similar messages, apparently from our own e-mail domain, but luckily we don't use "support" or "admin" as user names.

May I ask you to edit your posting so that it doesn't show the "sender's" e-mail address? Chances are this is fake anyway...

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:13
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply Mar 27, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

May I ask you to edit your posting so that it doesn't show the "sender's" e-mail address?

Absolutely Ralf.

I've been getting those emails for quite a while, but this one looked really authentic.

On a complete change of subject, I posted this topic under ProZ.com Tech Support forum but I don't see it on the home page. Is it because it's not on the General Tech Support forum?

[Edited at 2004-03-27 06:48]

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:13
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
It is the Bagle virus Mar 27, 2004

Hi,

I have received various email from my own addresses with false management or support information.

BTW, yesterday I had a look at Sophos pages, as the new variants of Bagle come without attachment and what looks like an empty message (it's not, the "text" is only not visible).

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32bagleq.html
... See more
Hi,

I have received various email from my own addresses with false management or support information.

BTW, yesterday I had a look at Sophos pages, as the new variants of Bagle come without attachment and what looks like an empty message (it's not, the "text" is only not visible).

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32bagleq.html

Giuliana
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:13
English to German
+ ...
Possibly Mar 27, 2004

Hi Caliaa,
On a complete change of subject, I posted this topic under ProZ.com Tech Support forum but I don't see it on the home page. Is it because it's not on the General Tech Support forum?

Possibly, but I'm not sure. Still, this is the right forum to post.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From ProZ?: Notify about your e-mail account utilization

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »