Mobile menu

Word 97 - Word 2000 double install possible?
Thread poster: Bharg Shah

Bharg Shah  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:34
French to English
+ ...
Mar 29, 2002

I have been asked by a client to use Word 97 for translating his files. At the moment I have Word 2000 but the client says that I need to install a Word template (.dot) file which is compatible only with WOrd 97. What can I do? Is it possible to install 2 different versions of MS Word on a single machine without causing a conflict?
[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

ALAIN COTE  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:04
Japanese to French
Yes Mar 29, 2002

I did it. First you install 97, then 2000 (and you specify that you want to keep the old version also). I works fine in my case.

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:04
English to Arabic
+ ...
Select Word 97 format inside yr Word 2000 Mar 29, 2002

Greetings / namasteh...

You can select Word 97 in the SAVE AS > TYPE function in Word 2K.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 03:04
German to English
+ ...
Just wondering... Mar 29, 2002

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is possible to work in a higher version of WORD and, then, to save the file as an older format (e.g., 97).

So, why would you bother with 2 different versions of Word on your computer?

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:04
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've had problems with clients who used Word '97 Mar 30, 2002

But they were solved by saving as RTFs. RTFs are practically ready to take on any other format. I don\'t know if this will work in your case.

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Word 2000 = Word 97 Mar 30, 2002

You don\'t have to install both of them.

Microsoft Sweden has told me that the resulting file from Word 2000 is identical with one from Word 97.

I have worked in Word 2000 for two years and delivered its files to a number of customers demanding Word 97 files.

I haven\'t heard ONE complaint - I don\'t think they even notice it because opening it in Word 97 generates the green \'W\' instead of the blue one I see when saving or opening it in Word 2000.

Best regards

Mats Wiman

Bharg Shah  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:34
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I too thought so Mar 30, 2002

Mat,

I too thought that a Word 97 file could be used in Word 2000. But is it the same with a template (.dot) file. Are Word 97 templates compatible with Word 2000?

Secondly if I have already installed WOrd 2000 can I install Word 97 afterwards without any problems?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Only slight differences between Word 97 and Word 2k Apr 16, 2002

There are some differences in handling fields in both programms, but you don´t need to install W97 and W2k on your PC.

Both use the same format of documents, so you should not have any problems. Only if yor client is working with RTF-files or with Word 95, you can expect a lot of problems.

I tried to use both on my PC, it works, but it is not the best solution, because they interfere with each other.

On a new PC I use only Word XP - and this is the best solution in my opinion.

After opening a document in Word97 format you can deactivate all XP functions not availlable in W97, so saving the file again does not cause any troubles - as for myself.

Regards

J. Czopik

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Differences in Word versions Jun 27, 2002

Hello,

we have often trouble with the incompatibility of different word versions.

Some critical points are:

fields

makros

graphics

comments

Saving as rtf files is ok, if there no makros. But notice, that the rtf format from word 2000 is not the same from older word versions. There differences in the font definitions.

So we have decided to work always in the original word version or in a higher version, if our client will use the higher version.

You can install all versions of word on the same computer, if you install from the oldest to the newest version (always keep the older version, if the install program aks). Only double clicking will not work always properly. On my pc, a double click on a word file start the newest word version (word 2000) if no word program is active.

Hans

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Slight correction to Hans Jun 27, 2002

The RTF-Format has changed not with Word 2000, but first with Word XP (or Word 2002). This caused a big problem for TRADOS, because there was no full support for XP until the 5.5 release.

Saving as RTF does not only loose macros, but destroys embedded pictures too.

It works fine for simplier texts.

If there are Word 97, 2000 and XP on one PC, double click activates the last used version of Word. For example, if you work with Word 2000 and then end the program, by next double clicking on a DOC-file Word 2000 will be started. Have you worked with Word 97 before, Word 97 will be then started. So far it was on my PC, as I had those Word versions installed together.

On my new PC I only installed Office XP, because of some slight problems with parallel installation. The biggest problem is the \"Normal.dot\" file (in German edition, in other editions it cann be other called - this is the standard template file) will be shared between Word 97/2000/XP, so changes in one of this applications automaticaly affect the others, but since there are some functions in XP which are no supported in 97/2000 and in 2000 which are not supported in 97, it can cause problems.

Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 97 - Word 2000 double install possible?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Websites for Translators
Build your new website, create a set of compelling graphics or find a new branding path with us.

We help both freelance translators and established translation agencies by applying online marketing strategies in the competitive world of languages. Click below to find out more!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs