what do I need to do to view Cyrillic?
Thread poster: Romina Minucci
Romina Minucci
Italy
Local time: 14:43
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 5, 2002

i can\'t read the proz question written in cyrillic. why? can you help me? i downloaded the characters but i can\'t read yet!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:43
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Reading Cyrillic on ProZ site and elsewhere on the Net Apr 5, 2002

Select View.

Select Encoding.

Select \"More\", and from the list shown, select \"Cyrillic (Windows)\".

You should now be able to read Cyrillic but a few characters in Latin will not come out properly, so if you are working in a Latin alphabet again, repeat the procedure but select \"Western European (Windows)\".

This usually works, but sometimes people use another encoding such as K018U. If Cyrillic Windows doesn\'t work, try the other Cyrillic encodings and you may find one that works. But there are some which cannot be decoded in this way, so if you come across one of these, the only thing you can do is ask the person who asked the question to put it in a different encoding.

bochkor
Local time: 08:43
English to German
+ ...
View > Encoding > More > Cyrillic (Windows) Apr 5, 2002

Hi,

It\'s not enough to do the automatic download (from Microsoft), but in case of ProZ you also have to do the above steps in your browser (I assumed you have Internet Explorer).

The reason is that the character set is not specified (or specified as Western European) in the ProZ pages\' HTML codes, so hence it\'s not automatic. So when you\'re on a page with Russian-seeming characters, just perform the above steps!

Hope this helps.

Romina Minucci
Italy
Local time: 14:43
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot!! Apr 6, 2002

thanks very much. it is exactly what I neede...

cheers

romina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what do I need to do to view Cyrillic?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs