Verifying native speaker ability
Thread poster: Julia Gal
Julia Gal
Julia Gal  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:00
French to English
+ ...
May 30, 2004

I attended a pow-wow this weekend and volunteered on the pow-wow forum to verify native speaker status. I also verified IDs for those who weren't already VIDed.

How do I now confirm the native speaker status of those I met? Is there a function somewhere on the site to do this or do I need to submit a support request somewhere?

Also, what happened to the native speaker checks you were planning to introduce for those of us with more than one native language? Is that still
... See more
I attended a pow-wow this weekend and volunteered on the pow-wow forum to verify native speaker status. I also verified IDs for those who weren't already VIDed.

How do I now confirm the native speaker status of those I met? Is there a function somewhere on the site to do this or do I need to submit a support request somewhere?

Also, what happened to the native speaker checks you were planning to introduce for those of us with more than one native language? Is that still going to be possible at some stage?

[Edited at 2004-05-30 21:23]
Collapse

Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Why do you want to do it? May 31, 2004

I understand the checking of the ID, but I don't understand why do you have to check (and why you) the status of the native speakers.
How do you intend to do it? I mean how can anyone proof his mother-tongue, being it one, or more? There are no documents for such a thing.And who should do it, who is entitled to do such a thing?
The need of beeing native speaker in order to translate was already discussed without a concrete result.
Still, if there is a need, tests or competition
... See more
I understand the checking of the ID, but I don't understand why do you have to check (and why you) the status of the native speakers.
How do you intend to do it? I mean how can anyone proof his mother-tongue, being it one, or more? There are no documents for such a thing.And who should do it, who is entitled to do such a thing?
The need of beeing native speaker in order to translate was already discussed without a concrete result.
Still, if there is a need, tests or competitions can be organised for each language in order to attest the ability of translators. Some of them have already pass such exams and received certifications, as it is usual in some countries, but if somebody feels the necessity to check once moore, there could be possibilities.
This does not proof a mother-tongue either in my opinion, as one can not not know all terms in all fields even in his mother-tongue.
Why do people insist on this matter I will never understand.
What other conditions for a good translation will be invented next?

Peace and work for everybody,
Ruxi
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
No need to verify May 31, 2004

Hi Julia,

Julia Gal wrote:

There is no need to verify someone's native language ability: the native language mark in the profile appears solely on the basis of the member's statement provided that only one native language is selected. The selection can be made only once - it's fair to assume that this will never change.

Also, what happened to the native speaker checks you were planning to introduce for those of us with more than one native language? Is that still going to be possible at some stage?

The system of verifying more then one native language is not yet in place, thus those who report more then one native language have two greyed icons in their profiles.

HTH

Magda

Julia Gal
Julia Gal  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For platinum members it is automatic. Many basic members want it confirmed. May 31, 2004

For platinum members with only one native tongue, the logo is bold and yellow, implying confirmation of that information. For non-platinum members, or those with more than one native language, the logo is grey.

In the FAQ, this is explained as follows:
"A black and gray ProZ.com Native Speaker icon is used to represent native languages that have been reported, but not confirmed. This includes native languages reported by non-Platinum members, even when they only report a singl
... See more
For platinum members with only one native tongue, the logo is bold and yellow, implying confirmation of that information. For non-platinum members, or those with more than one native language, the logo is grey.

In the FAQ, this is explained as follows:
"A black and gray ProZ.com Native Speaker icon is used to represent native languages that have been reported, but not confirmed. This includes native languages reported by non-Platinum members, even when they only report a single native language. This is because it is possible that a non-Platinum member might create multiple profiles with a different single native language for each, to get around the requirement that multiple native languages must be confirmed. "

The pow-wow registration page includes an option for participants to volunteer to confirm others' native speaker status, but there doesn't appear to be a way to report back on this on the site.

Whilst this is not currently a major issue, as the native language credential is not yet used in the job application process, it is likely to become relevent at some stage in the future and it would be a shame for those who made the effort to attend the pow-wow not to benefit...
Collapse

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 00:00
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree as per kudoz? May 31, 2004

I wonder if we could have a system in which Platinum members with verified ID who know the translator in question, put an agreement to the native language declaration. A sort of mentoring.

My two cents only.... I seldom have time to visit all the forums.

cheers to

paola l m

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Verifying native speaker ability

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »