Problem viewing Chinese characters on Proz
Thread poster: Jennifer Devlin
Jennifer Devlin
Jennifer Devlin
Chinese to English
Jun 24, 2004

Hi All

I am new to Proz and still finding my way around, so please forgive me if this has been asked and answered previously.

I cannot view the Chinese characters on this site, for example in Kudoz, they just appear as random symbols. I have no problem viewing other sites in Chinese, and have Windows XP with Chinese enabled. Is there some simple box I need to tick somewhere? The only correctly appearing characters I have seen on the site were in Kevin Yang's post her
... See more
Hi All

I am new to Proz and still finding my way around, so please forgive me if this has been asked and answered previously.

I cannot view the Chinese characters on this site, for example in Kudoz, they just appear as random symbols. I have no problem viewing other sites in Chinese, and have Windows XP with Chinese enabled. Is there some simple box I need to tick somewhere? The only correctly appearing characters I have seen on the site were in Kevin Yang's post here http://www.proz.com/post/143332#143332 What is different?

Please help!
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:48
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Moved the topic Jun 24, 2004

to ProZ.com Tech Support

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:48
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Consult the FAQ pages Jun 24, 2004

Please, consult the following information available in the FAQ pages
http://www.proz.com/faq/localization#local_charsets
It could be sufficient to solve your problem.

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Team

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Jennifer, Jun 24, 2004

Most posts in Chinese forum are in Simplified Chinese (GB2312). Sometimes, they could be in Traditional Chinese (Big5), UTF-8 or Japanese (Shift-JIS) encoding.

These characters posted by Kevin are in HTML Unicode. That is why you can read it without changing “show encoding”.

Right-click the webpage in Chinese, then select encoding>one of these encoding mentioned above. Continue to change the encoding until they show correctly.

Cheers...
See more
Most posts in Chinese forum are in Simplified Chinese (GB2312). Sometimes, they could be in Traditional Chinese (Big5), UTF-8 or Japanese (Shift-JIS) encoding.

These characters posted by Kevin are in HTML Unicode. That is why you can read it without changing “show encoding”.

Right-click the webpage in Chinese, then select encoding>one of these encoding mentioned above. Continue to change the encoding until they show correctly.

Cheers
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:48
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
expand the instruction to address the language-specific code switch. Oct 17, 2004

chance wrote:

Hi, Gianfranco, Chance and Jennifer,

The Chinese coding has been an issue to the first time visitors in the Chinese Forum or KudoZ sections. I just noticed that our Tech Help info is not detailed enough for solving the problem, at least it is not specifically to instruct users to handle the Chinese characters or Asian languages. I wonder if you like me to help to expand the instruction, so we can refer people to read that for help in future.

Chance, most of my postings are in English. If I post in Chinese, I usually use Simplified Chinese (GB2312), which is the code for the Chinese characters used in the Mainland China. In the message that Jennifer mentioned above, I used Uncode(UTF-8). This code allow most browsers to display Chinese correctly. I did notice some members used Japanese coding in the KudoZ questions. I usually switch it for them when I can catch it.

Kevin

[Edited at 2004-10-17 19:54]

Kwei Chang
Kwei Chang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:48
English to Chinese
+ ...
Encoding Oct 18, 2004

My solution is to click on the right key of the mouse. You'll see
"Encoding" at about the center. click on it and choose the one that shows you good charactors. In most cases, if your language is in simplified Chinese, you try tradition Chinese and vise versa. Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem viewing Chinese characters on Proz

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »