https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/22354-personal_glossaries_and_plain_text_what_is_plain_text_mod%3A_prozcom_personal_glossaries.html

Personal glossaries and Plain Text - what is Plain Text? (Mod: ProZ.com Personal Glossaries)
Thread poster: chica nueva
chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 13:28
Chinese to English
Jun 24, 2004

1 I have some glossaries as MS Word documents. Can I convert them to Plain Text to download into my personal glossary?

2 How do people use/organise personal glossaries? Are they useful? (Is there an existing forum thread on this, or advice?)

Thank you very much.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-06-25 09:47]

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
I keep my personal glossaries in Jinshan Ciba's user's dictionary or Deja Vu's terminology database Jun 25, 2004

To answer your second question, the User's Dictionary in Jinshan Ciba is very handy for adding new words and phrases, while DV's terminology database is most useful when you have glossaries in excel format. I understand that Trados Multiterm can also be used to manage glossaries, but I've never figured out how to make it work!

Zhoudan

[Edited at 2004-06-25 08:53]

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Zhoudan, Jun 25, 2004

Which Ciba do you use now ? I have 2002 and 2003. I tried to input into 2002, it works but I cannot do it into 2003.

Do you have any idea ?

[Edited at 2004-06-25 09:19]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 13:28
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
the glossary feature in the Proz user profile Jun 25, 2004

Thanks to both of you. Actually I was wondering about the glossary in the Proz user profile.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:28
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jun 25, 2004

...to ProZ.com Tech Support.
I also edited the title - the misunderstanding shows why it's important to choose the right title...

Best regards,
Ralf

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:28
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Plain text Jun 25, 2004

Hi Lesley,

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

1 I have some glossaries as MS Word documents. Can I convert them to Plain Text to download into my personal glossary?

You can save any Word document as Plain text by choosing Save As and then Plain text in the format list. The easiest way to upload your glossary to ProZ.com is if your gloss is tab delimited, that is if words are separated by tab. You can have them separated by comas, semi-colons, etc. as well but then you need to specify it when uploading.

2 How do people use/organise personal glossaries? Are they useful? (Is there an existing forum thread on this, or advice?)

I usually organise my glossaries by broad subject matters. They are very useful if you look for a difficult word and find it in somebody's glossary. However, I use mine on-line as well if I'm working not from my office and not on my computer. Then I still have access to some of my glossaries. So, they serve a dual purpose: to share them with others and to have a back-up copy on-line.

Magda

[Edited at 2004-06-25 18:02]

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
I used Ciba 2003 Jun 25, 2004

It's the same as in Ciba 2002.

The process for single entries is:

1. Open the User's Dictionary (Óû§´Êµä£©
2. Enter your word or phrase in ÊäÈë
3. Enter your explanation or translation
4. Click Add (Ìí¼Ó£©
5. Click Save (±£´æ)

There must be a way for batch import, but I've never tried.

Regards,

Zhou Dan

chance wrote:

Which Ciba do you use now ? I have 2002 and 2003. I tried to input into 2002, it works but I cannot do it into 2003.

Do you have any idea ?

[Edited at 2004-06-25 09:19]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Personal glossaries and Plain Text - what is Plain Text? (Mod: ProZ.com Personal Glossaries)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »